Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomSpud

Least favourite weapon and why?

The Pistol. Because it has the same damage rate as your fists. Anything and everything else is far more superior. lol

I asked some mappers about this and they said the pistol as well. They all seemed to agree that it is mostly good for shooting switches and not really combat. I also find that I don't use the shotgun whenever I grab the super shotgun, but when I play quake this is not the case. It is either the shotgun in quake has a better rate fire and tighter spread or the super shotgun is nerfed a bit, or I am as crazy as people tell me lol.

I like the pistol for making the player feel a bit helpless but yeah, if I was gonna change one, it'd be the pistol. I made a mod once that changed the pistol into a chaingun, and changed the old chaingun over to the minigun from skulltag and most people seemed to agree that it was a slightly better arsenal for taking on modern wads, or even for deathmatching.

The weapon balance is really good for how early Doom was in the realm of FPS though. The only useless gun in DM is a pistol, for example. CG is a little weak, but not staggeringly so.

Rocket Launcher.  That thing has probably gotten me killed more than the monsters! 

Chain gun, I'll use it if I have to, but I'd rather use the shotgun, ssg, or plasma gun.
the chain gun seems weaker than the pistol but that's just gotta be me.

The Pistol, not because I dislike it but because I rarely find uses for it after getting the sg or chaingun.

The pistol. This is the weakest part of Doom's design! It's simply too weak and not interesting enough to use after you get any other weapon. It needs something extra to make players want to use it mid or late-game. 

It would be perfect if it was like Project Brutality's Revolver: 

Pistol obviously. Becomes obsolete when chaingun is obtained. Pistol is only useful for shooting switches

2 hours ago, Immorpher said:

I asked some mappers about this and they said the pistol as well. They all seemed to agree that it is mostly good for shooting switches and not really combat. I also find that I don't use the shotgun whenever I grab the super shotgun, but when I play quake this is not the case. It is either the shotgun in quake has a better rate fire and tighter spread or the super shotgun is nerfed a bit, or I am as crazy as people tell me lol.

The SSG in Doom does about 2.8 times as much damage as the regular shotgun. Whereas in Quake, the SSG only does twice as much damage as the regular shotgun.

So u are not as crazy ;). However the regular shotgun in Doom is useful too (for sniping enemies).

Pistol and Chainsaw, certainly. Pistol's only purpose is for shooting switches once you obtain weapons, if you have the Berserk that's infinitely better as well. Better off skipping enemies if that's your only weapon.

Chainsaw is another weapon of last resort, or if you want to conserve ammo and you don't have a Berserk.

Pistol - For mostly the same reasons as everyone else. Anything more powerful than an Imp and it's simply useless. I do however like Brutal Doom's alternate burst-fire mode which actually makes it rather useful in firefights with zombies because it can cut them down quickly like a chaingun but your ammo consumption isn't as high.

BFG9000 - Reason for this kinda goes hand-in-hand with my love of Ultra-Violence and enjoying being completely swamped by the maximum amount of monsters possible. I really only pull out the BFG9000 if things have seriously gotten out of hand or my attack plan fails and I need to just clear the room to stay alive. Wiping out entire rooms of monsters in a single shot takes away the fun of the blood-pumping, breath-holding firefights which are what I play Doom for.

Honourable mention to the Super Shotgun. Don't get me wrong, I DO like it and it's fantastic against high-health enemies such as Barons and Arch-Viles but I will always take the regular shotgun over it 90% of the time. It's more accurate (especially over medium to long range) and it's damage per shot/shot per second ratio makes it a more strategic option in most cases. The reload time on the Super Shotgun has gotten me killed more times than I care to count and can be a total liability sometimes.

I think the pistol is probably the least useful overall (I even chaingun shootable switches) but my least favorite is easily the chainsaw. Although it is fairly efficient, I find it annoying and unsatisfying. And the rare times I want to use it are usually not when I first pick it up.

🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈🐈

It's kinda hard to say I have a weapon I out-right dislike (none of them are bad to me) but some weapons aren't super great for one reason or another.

The fists WITHOUT berserk pack is so hard to kill anything with I might as well be trying to hug my enemies to death.

The chainsaw is fairly useless outside of spectres or moments where I have an invuln sphere and want to dick about. It's good at stun-locking enemies but it does require me to be right in their face.

The regular shotgun is fairly good and strong in DooM and is quite accurate even at medium range but with the introduction of the SSG, I rarely go back to the regular one (unless I need to conserve shells, like in MAP10 of DooM II).

For me the Chainsaw. It can be useful in close quarter situations of low on ammo situations, but the horrible sound it makes doesn't want me to use it.

The pistol isn't terrible, if the map you're playing doesn't give you lots of ammo. I'll use it to kill imps, former humans and seargants, and even chaingunners if my ammo is low, and using the chaingun could potentially waste ammo. If ammo supply isn't a problem, I never use it, though.

It is interesting I have seen people here go back and forth between the shotgun and super shotgun, so maybe they are balanced about right on average. I didn't expect the chaingun to be on the list since it's better than using a pistol, but over all maybe bullets are weak? I heard when it comes to hitting far away enemies people say the chaingun is good for that.

Using the fists for me.   It's not something I can rely on compared to the chainsaw which locks in the monster you're engaging with.   About the only time I use the fist is to reawaken monsters when I load a saved game.

Pistol but nowadays I have a bit more use for it when I play conservatively. Like, if an Imp doesn't die from a single shotgun shot I finish them off with 1 or 2 pistol bullets. Same with pinkies, if they don't die after 2 shotgun shots, I finish them with the pistol.

Chainsaw. I use it only against pinkies/spectres and lost souls, pulling is annoying and you still can be biten.

BFG 9000 - weapon for lazy players IMO. I have faced very few maps that gives reason to use this weapon.

Guys, pistol is good for start of map, if first enemies are zombies, shotgunners and imps. You must deserve shotgun and rest of weapons.

It may better be an unpopular opinion but I really don't like using the BFG. I have much more fun using the Plasma Gun in general and unless the map forces me to use the BFG whether through tough opposition or by not granting me access to the Plasma Gun, I would rather not use it at all. It has a cool design and I like the idea of a single powerful plasma ball but the second invisible tracer rays attack just feels silly to me. I understand that from a gameplay perspective, it's rather satisfying and effective to see a room full of bad guys die in a single shot but I would rather have something a little bit more "conventional". I don't know, it just feel overpowered to me, especially in the IWADs.

The pistol, of course, its only real use after better weapons have been picked up is shooting at switches.

Uni, that is probably not as unpopular as you expect. 

Anyway, in order of preference (i.e most to least), I'd say: 

BFG -> RL -> PR/SSG -> 'zerked fist -> CG -> SG -> chainsaw -> bare fist -> pistol

At the lower end, the shotgun is infamously finicky even when it shouldn't be. Point-blanking a bare imp and hitting all pellets won't even kill it some % of the time. It is also susceptible to losing lots of damage due to blockmap fall-outs. No other weapon puts as much of an emphasis on pure aim but unless you want to be a maxer of 'early-game'-style maps or nightmare run iwads, that is a skill that hardly rewards you much. Still, it has its uses. 

The chainsaw feels eh. If DPS were 1.5x or 2x (meaning its attack did more damage, not higher RoF), then it'd have viable 'skill-based' uses like sawing down HKs and barons while having to react to their attacks, and stuff like carving through low-tiers would be as quick and satisfying as it feels it should be. And yet it'd still be in the same 'grade' as a weapon, not OP.

Bare fist is hardly a weapon, but amusing trolly possibilities act as a tie-break against the pistol -- which has those, but it's less brave to pistol plink a rev than to bare punch it. Regardless, I think of both as 'not weapons', so whatever. 

Edited by rdwpa

Order of preference:

1. Plasma Rifle - quickly and pretty much effortlessly takes care of anything
2. Super Shotgun - would rather SSG a lone Cybie than BFG
3. BFG9000 - yeah

4. Chaingun - Fairly great with distant targets. Good pain chance and accuracy versus nuisances like Cacodemons, Arachnotrons and Painies.

5. Rocket Launcher - Would've been much higher if I didn't have the tendency to rocket myself. 

6. Berserk - I avoid it in prBoom due to being difficult to hit stuff, however on ZDoom I use it a fair lot.

7. Shotgun - Hmm. The only usage I have is with distant Arachnotrons and Zombiemen/Shotgun Guys fairly close.

8. Chainsaw - Ungh. Very wonky in prBoom. Mostly berserk is just better in every aspect.

9. Pistol - I remark myself as a good user and balancer of pistol gameplay so I don't hate it as much. Would never make a map revolving solely around a pistol (again, at least, since I did in the past), but it's a good one for early gameplay. I never use it in gameplay, though, except when its 100% accuracy comes in handy while killing Imps and hitscanners on ledges.

10. Fist - Only ever used to kill pinkies to save ammo. Never otherwise.

chainsaw is my least favorite. its janky and not really that fun to use except for cacos. at least the pistol is used for shooting switches but i always dread having to use the chainsaw

Pistol for me....although i prefer the pistol than the fists, but fist are not probably being considered a weapon here.