Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cambreaKer

What is your favourite episode 3 level?

What is your favourite episode 3 level?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite episode 3 level?

• E3M1 - Hell Keep
    • E3M2 - Slough of Despair
    • E3M3 - Pandemonium
    • E3M4 - House of Pain
    • E3M5 - Unholy Cathedral
    • E3M6 - Mt. Erebus
    • E3M7 - Limbo
    • E3M8 - Dis
    • E3M9 - Warrens

Guest Unregistered account
7 hours ago, insertwackynamehere said:

That actually helps a lot I feel like an idiot for never noticing haha

Don't worry, I get the feeling a lot of people didn't :)

Slough of Despair, mostly because it seems like you're really in a strange part of the universe.  Very close 2nd, could be 1st depending on the day, Mt Erebus.

Limbo I didn't like much the first time, but subsequent playthroughs it grown on me.

Unholy Cathedral is OK, I seem to like it more than many others, as with Warrens.

I get why people like the atmosphere in Limbo, but running through the hurty blood sure gets old when you're lost and you've burned through all the rad suits.

I've always really like Limbo - The mazes are quite good (Except when you don't know your way through).

Mt Erebus is also one of my top favorite maps. 

E3M9 takes the cake as the best secret level in the game as well.

I have to give it to "Mt. Erebus," just a great level through and through. I also really like M2 and M7. There's so many radsuits, that it's your poor navigational skills if you take a lot of sector damage in "Limbo." That's better punishment than you held down move forward for a tic too long and now you're in a death pit, but I digress.

M3 is my usual stopping point, but it's actually a good level. So are M1, M4, and M5. Even "Dis" isn't bad, but it got slaughtered by continuous play.

It might be odd, but I prefer E3M1 over E3M9. I like punchy levels, and it's better when shorter. Less is more! In fact I only really like the secret levels in episodes one and four of UDoom. 

Honestly, I don't like Inferno as much as the others. That's not me saying I hate it or it's bad. However, one map I really like and pretty much nearly saves it for me is Mt. Erebus. It looks quite unique and colourful, with many buildings and areas to explore. Pandemonium is also a great map, action-packed and cool music.

I would have loved to have more ennemies to fight in Limbo (<50 in UV). Since it is big enough and last map before the boss, I expected a lot more action and bloodshed.

Because of that, it is only my second fav, the biggest one being House of Pain (for Sign of Evil track mostly, I confess).

On 6/18/2019 at 3:47 AM, PaquoCastor said:

There's so many radsuits, that it's your poor navigational skills if you take a lot of sector damage in "Limbo." 

I'd like to think it's the map's confusing layout, rather than my poor navigational skills, but you're probably right.

E3M5, i find the teleporter section a bit annoying but i like the layout of the cathedral anyways.

22 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

And to rank 'em from best to worst, it would be 6 2 9 4 3 7 5 8 1.

I would swap 8 and 1, any maybe, maybe 6 and 2, but apart from that, that is pretty much how I would rank them.

Probably in a tiny minority here, but I like Unholy Cathedral. I really like the courtyard in the middle of the map, a lot of areas to explore, and I try to get as many enemies lured into the courtyard for a big fight by the end of the level (however strategically unwise that may be).

Least favorite? Maybe Pandemonium.

As a kid, I used to hate Mt. Erebus and Limbo. With Mt. Erebus, I could never find the Blue Key on HMP/UV, where it's in a very hidden place. I first played this level on the SNES port, where you are required to play E3 on harder skill levels. Spent many hours and deaths looking for that damn key, there were no videos or walkthroughs online to provide any help, and ultimately, I found the secret exit before finding the Blue Key.

Same thing with Limbo, spent an eternity exploring every inch of the level to find the Red Key.

Pandemonium was originally supposed to be a techbase, right?  I vaguely remember something about those little windows at the start (where you can see one of the keys) were 'guard rooms' before it was redone.

I forgot to mention about unholy cathedral, I LOVE that trick scare where you go to that window to observe the various mangled bodies in the courtyard only to trip a linedef that opens up an ambush behind you. One of the only instances of playful, hellish level design imo, that wouldn't play just as well retextured as, like, a techbase. It's basically a scripted sequence in a way...

Edited by EtherBot

Maybe this is an unpopular opinion but I love Dis. A very simple level, but it's classic and effective, it's an awesome introduction to the Spider Mastermind, and the song is great.

On 5/30/2019 at 9:29 PM, Grain of Salt said:

E3M7, for the atmosphere

Pretty much, and I find the architecture to be impressive for the episode. Feels like a proper penultimate map.

I chose E3M5. Both it and E3M6 stood out to me in their design. I liked the idea of small interconnecting rooms, as well as the layout and look of the courtyard. I feel that the overall use of the 'Demons on the Prey' track was well done in Doom (typically larger maps with an abundance of rooms and which has some quiet moments between. During my 'Doomsday' days, i edited mp3 files to play for various levels and felt that Hollow (by Pantera) fit so well somehow.

As for the rest of the levels:

E3M1 - Short and sweet. Prefer E3M9 though.

E3M2 - I like the idea of it, but never really cared for the music track and its one of my less liked Episode 3 maps.

E3M3 - It's pretty decent. Music was good. Like several of the rooms. Having multiple directions was nice.

E3M4 - The initial rooms are nice, and I think it was kinda interesting in the dark(er) room how there were windows showing all the various corpses. But on the whole it's otherwise just 'okay'. For some reason as a kid, I also found the music track kind of depressing; maybe because of its association with E1M8.

E3M6 - My second favourite level. I actually really like the lava ocean, various buildings, open area, and the use of the Fireblu textures.

E3M7 - I like the various red skull(?) teleporter 'rooms' throughout the level. As a kid I didnt appreciate the design of the level as much, but as an adult, I have grown to like it.

E3M8 - Its good for what it is. A boss level.

E3M9 - Favourite secret level. Somehow I think the music track fits better than E1M9. I like the added areas a lot.

I love House of Pain, it feels like its supposed to be some sort of Sacrificial grounds.

I especially love that window view of all the crucified and hanging bodies.

And it really gives that vibe of "You shouldn't be here".

Plus Sign of Evil wraps it up all together very nicely.

Its Metal AF.