Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hidfan

Doom Neural Upscale 2X [v 1.0]

I think this bug has been in the file for a long time. I'll go through the whole texture set today and makes sure they all align properly with vanilla.

13 hours ago, Scuba Steve said:

This does raise one question I've had... are there ANY other ports that could potentially run the high resolution images besides GZDoom? Or is this destined to be a ZDoom branded mod only?

The Eternity Engine has sprite scaling, on a per decorate definition basis. It does not have scaling options for textures.

14 hours ago, Scuba Steve said:

I was messing around and decided to make a patched version of the Smooth Weapons that emulates the exact same behavior as the Vanilla smooth weapons, but replaces the dehacked patch with decorate. I started running into some of the bugs @fraggle introduced that were not noticeable in standard def but became apparent in HD. 

If you're doing that, don't work from the vsmooth Dehacked patch, use the source code as found here:

https://github.com/fragglet/deh9000/blob/master/examples/smooth.py

It's already in a decorate-like format so it should be relatively straightforward to translate into real DECORATE, and the source doesn't have any of the "tricks" that deh9000 automatically adds to scrape together the necessary frames. So do that and you'll have a "clean" version of the mod that doesn't change anything else. 

I did a bit of both... I wanted to maintain your frames and timing because you went to the trouble of preserving demo compatibility, that means it's almost vanilla perfect with regards to timing and gameplay. But for the chaingun, I pulled from perk's actual smooth weapon functionality because it was so much cleaner than trying to replicate the dehacked work. I also much preferred your rendition of the plasma rifle recoil and BFG as they are closer to the original and look better. The other weapons are basically the same between both versions, but I used your timing frames because I liked them better.

Neural Upscale Minor Spritefix

So I went through and cross referenced every single switch in Doom and Doom2 and found the errors; SWxSTONE, SWxSTON2, SWxSTARG, SWxBRN1 were all in the Doom2 folder as the same texture so Doom was loading 4 additional instances of SWxBROWN... this has been in the Neural Upscale file since the beginning and it should be fixed now. @Squirb I'm not particularly knowledgeable on where these textures might appear in Doom1/2 so if you can, please play through and see if I fixed them or added any additional errors by removing textures. I think it's right, but I routinely mess up minute details like this. id software were stupid lazy morons

Edited by Scuba Steve

@Scuba Steve  Quick check with the new fix and it looks good.  One of the switches changed to the single button red light-up version, so hopefully that is what you intended.  I didn't notice any errors or other visual issues.  Thanks!

4 hours ago, Scuba Steve said:

Neural Upscale Minor Spritefix

So I went through and cross referenced every single switch in Doom and Doom2 and found the errors; SWxSTONE, SWxSTON2, SWxSTARG, SWxBRN1 were all in the Doom2 folder as the same texture so Doom was loading 4 additional instances of SWxBROWN... this has been in the Neural Upscale file since the beginning and it should be fixed now. @Squirb I'm not particularly knowledgeable on where these textures might appear in Doom1/2 so if you can, please play through and see if I fixed them or added any additional errors by removing textures. I think it's right, but I routinely mess up minute details like this.

I don't think it is correct to delete them, as these are clearly different textures inside DOOM and DOOM.DOOM2.

For my xbrz6x version I based it on the following structure - found here https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/1999374:

fiter
    ├── doom
    ├── doom.id.doom1
    ├── doom.id.doom1.ultimate
    ├── doom.id.doom2
    ├── doom.id.doom2.commercial
    ├── doom.id.doom2.plutonia
    └── doom.id.doom2.tnt

My understanding is that everything inside doom is loaded, but when a textures with the same name is found in doom.id.doom2 it is used instead.

I haven't seen this bug so far. @Squirb: in which map have you found it?

The Upscaled Minor Spritefix is very nice work.

I already have a xbrz6x version ready, but currently I still work on tnt textures (plutonia already upscaled with waifu2x + xbrz6x).

A bug I had (maybe only because of my structure) is that iDKFA gives an invisible super shotgun in doom1.

I had to move the SHT2xx sprites to doom.id.doom2.

3 minutes ago, tobis87 said:

I don't think it is correct to delete them, as these are clearly different textures inside DOOM and DOOM.DOOM2.

You are correct; it loads Doom1, then loads Doom2. There are numerous textures missing from the Doom2 folder because they are already in the Doom1 folder. The problem with the switches was they loaded a series of Doom switch textures, then Doom2 was loading a SEPARATE set of switches with the same name but the wrong texture. I merely removed the redundant Doom2 switch textures which should leave the loaded Doom1 textures to display properly. Again... if anyone notices anything out of the ordinary, let me know, but I playtested for a while and all seemed clear.

I'm curious how your upscales will work.. the sole reason this upscale project is even noteworthy is because AI has come so far and the Nvidia upscaler is so unbelievably good. I worry that any other upscales using xbrz6x or waifu2x can come even CLOSE to achieving what the Neural Net can.... not to mention the reason they look so impressive in this pack is the impressive amount of photoshop that went on behind the scenes to clean up the sometimes crude machine upscaling. Again, given access to the Nvidia AI, I could replicate most of this project, but without it, I'm stuck using other tools that allegedly aren't as impressive.

36 minutes ago, Scuba Steve said:

I merely removed the redundant Doom2 switch textures which should leave the loaded Doom1 textures to display properly.

That's my point the textures are different and not redundant:

SW1BRN1.png.fe32fc889ecf41ff90564d3ce8698884.png    SW1BRN1.png.195e5e54e7d70b2d8fbc6510b3bc75b6.png

Have you noticed on the first two screenshots the sky is also different (you don't want to delete the doom2 sky textures):

https://postimg.cc/gallery/2wtpnpiui/

36 minutes ago, Scuba Steve said:

I'm curious how your upscales will work.. the sole reason this upscale project is even noteworthy is because AI has come so far and the Nvidia upscaler is so unbelievably good. I worry that any other upscales using xbrz6x or waifu2x can come even CLOSE to achieving what the Neural Net can....

Waifu2x is also an AI upscaler, but not as good as the Nvidia upscaler. Xbrz6x is just added for my taste (less pixelated).

a-askin3.png.9c816c4eafdc51e6861cc980f86f623f.png

I went through, line by line, and compared every Doom1/2 texture to their base iwad. Hidfan's wad ALREADY deleted redundant textures, so this was just a matter of finishing the work that was missed. Look at the textures I mentioned in the Doom2 Textures folder... you'll notice FOUR switches that are already listed in the Doom1 Textures folder that look identical. I'm almost positive this was an oversight that needed to be corrected.

Doom 1:

WallTexture SW1BRN1, 64, 128
{
	Patch WALL02_2, 0, 56
	Patch WALL02_2, 0, 0
	Patch SW3S0, 16, 75
}

Doom 2:

WallTexture SW1BRN1, 128, 128
{
	Patch WALL62_1, 0, 0
	Patch SW1S0, 48, 72
}

Well what the fuck.

Jesus Christ, id! Rather than remove switch textures, they just pasted the same artwork over FIVE different textures!?! What a fucking duct tape job.

@Squirb I'm guessing the change happens because you are tying to play a level meant for Doom1 in Doom2... and id in their infinite wisdom just wrote over a bunch of switches with an identical switch... this kinda sorta works in vanilla, but the high def work shows the error.

UUUUUUUUGH, I'll upload a revised Minor Sprite Fix version and revert the changes

Edited by Scuba Steve

1 hour ago, Scuba Steve said:

this kinda sorta works in vanilla, but the high def work shows the error

This suggests that is a port problem. For example, as with the incorrect filters. The easiest solution is to use separate mods with different textures, each for its own wad.

Well... it shouldn't work at ALL. ZDoom would normally dump out errors of missing textures and probably force them to look black instead of a messed up texture. Either way, if you play a map not intended for that version of Doom, it's not going to look right no matter what.

8 minutes ago, Scuba Steve said:

if you play a map not intended for that version of Doom, it's not going to look right no matter what.

Only if this map uses vanilla resources from iwad. But for external textures does not matter how they look in vanilla.

10 minutes ago, Scuba Steve said:

I mean... sure... but why not just play in the proper iwad?

There can be several reasons, for example, the lack of the necessary iwad.

@Scuba Steve One of the mapsets I checked the switch issue on is Baculus, which is based on Doom 2.  I am using WadSmoosher with all iwads if that makes a difference.  Is it the mapset causing the problem then? 

5 hours ago, PeterMoro said:

Wow this project looks amazing - where is the latest version download link?

Neural Net Minor Spritefix

43 minutes ago, Squirb said:

@Scuba Steve One of the mapsets I checked the switch issue on is Baculus, which is based on Doom 2.  I am using WadSmoosher with all iwads if that makes a difference.  Is it the mapset causing the problem then? 

I am almost positive your problems are being caused by using an external iwad compressed by wadsmoosher. Try it with just the Doom2 iwad as intended.

@Scuba Steve  You were right.  Using just the Doom2 Iwad worked.  First time I've come across errors using the Smoosher but now I know.  Sorry for the false bug report.  Thanks!

yo scuba, just wanted to drop in and say thanks for putting in all the hard work on continuing this project!

Is there a version of this that's compatible with PWADs using custom textures? Like a sprite-only edition.

1 hour ago, Spectre01 said:

Is there a version of this that's compatible with PWADs using custom textures? Like a sprite-only edition.

Just open archive and delete all textures.

@Scuba Steve thank you so much for finishing/polishing the beast, I know how tedious what you're doing is : playing /testing, checking files (wrong, missing, bugged).
I'm so happy for all the people who requested this :)

45 minutes ago, hidfan said:

@Scuba Steve thank you so much for finishing/polishing the beast, I know how tedious what you're doing is : playing /testing, checking files (wrong, missing, bugged).
I'm so happy for all the people who requested this :)

What I discovered when reverse engineering your process, is that the REAL hard work was not running the sprites though the algorithm, but the clean alpha mask you had to draw for every image.