Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gonubax

BaguetteDoom, a fanmade french translation of Doom

Hey guys,

I tried the french translation of DooM 1 and 2 and i saw how inaccurate it is. Because of that and because i'm a grammar nazi and i'm triggered , i decided to make a translation in french of DooM 1, 2, Plutonia and TNT's level names, intermission text, kill and weapon gathering notifications, and more that i don't really think of.

To use this wad, just open it as a PWAD and type in the console "language fr" to set the ingame language in french.

To set it back to english, type in the console "language enu" or "language en".

To set the language in the computer's language type "language auto"

Tell me what you think about it and if it's good or bad. :)

BaguetteDooM.zip

18 hours ago, Armaetus said:

Paging @Quasar, or I hope it's the right guy..

Welp, i'm not informatic engineer right now, and it's not professional translation, but maybe it's better than the many errors in Zandronum's actual one.

Maybe, i'm totally in the new here. But who's Quasar anyway? What did he do right there?

Quasar is the lead developer of the Eternity Engine, though he does not have much time to work on it anymore since he became an employee of Nightdive Studios working on things like Strife Veteran Edition, Blood Fresh Supply, the Turok series remasters, and allegedly a Doom 64 rerelease. Development of Eternity is now mostly done by @printz and @Altazimuth.

Zandronum is a completely different and unrelated engine, whose lead developer last time I checked was @Torr_Samaho (I hope that's the right account, there was another person with the same taste in Perry Rhodan-derived usernames). Zandronum is derived from GZDoom, whose lead developer @Graf Zahl recently made a lot of work to improve GZDoom's internationalization. Unfortunately, the bulk of the French translation of Doom and Doom II comes from an official translation by Art of Words (a now-defunct translation company), which means that the crappy choices are "official" "vanilla" content and therefore non-negotiable. That quickly killed any interest I could have had in improving it, personally.

Doesn't GZDoom support accents now? I was looking at the strings in Slade and didn't come across any. I'd be glad to do a pass if you need assistance.

23 hours ago, Gez said:

Quasar is the lead developer of the Eternity Engine, though he does not have much time to work on it anymore since he became an employee of Nightdive Studios working on things like Strife Veteran Edition, Blood Fresh Supply, the Turok series remasters, and allegedly a Doom 64 rerelease. Development of Eternity is now mostly done by @printz and @Altazimuth.

Zandronum is a completely different and unrelated engine, whose lead developer last time I checked was @Torr_Samaho (I hope that's the right account, there was another person with the same taste in Perry Rhodan-derived usernames). Zandronum is derived from GZDoom, whose lead developer @Graf Zahl recently made a lot of work to improve GZDoom's internationalization. Unfortunately, the bulk of the French translation of Doom and Doom II comes from an official translation by Art of Words (a now-defunct translation company), which means that the crappy choices are "official" "vanilla" content and therefore non-negotiable. That quickly killed any interest I could have had in improving it, personally.

The more you know :D

22 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

Who declared that part non-negotiable? If it is so crappy I'm all for improving the bad parts.

It is bad because there's many grammar, orthograph problems and some expressions that aren't translated right ("see if i care" doesn't mean " va voir là bas si j'y fais attention" but more like "va voir là bas si j'y suis", trust me or not i'm french). Even though, the player is supposed to be talked to with a polite or friendly speech? I am sorry for the guy who translated that game, but he tried. It's usual to do mistakes as French is one of the hardest languages. It's almost like if you translated chinese :/

20 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

No. I said "Texts", not "Level names".

The level names need to be preserved to avoid confusion.

As i said, it is fanmade, so i theorically can take some liberty, however i am okay for vanilla friendly translation.

Greetings btw

Edited by Gonubax : Not polite enough

20 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

Yes, it supports accents, and if some texts are lacking them you are welcome to fix them.

GZDoom might have them, but what about others? Should i do multiple files for mutliples ports? Might be a mess if there's plenty to do :(

6 hours ago, Gonubax said:

GZDoom might have them, but what about others? Should i do multiple files for mutliples ports? Might be a mess if there's plenty to do :(

I'd be willing to help you out for the GZDoom port version. I'm even considering a Québec version afterwards :P

On 8/13/2019 at 8:41 PM, JBerg said:

I'd be willing to help you out for the GZDoom port version.

Any help is appreciated, thank you :D

On 8/13/2019 at 8:41 PM, JBerg said:

I'm even considering a Québec version afterwards :P

Québec's language is french (according to wikipedia), so theorically i can help you. ;)

Okay, third version, fixed plenty of forgotten errors. I was working on the GZDoom version, but i forgot to save :/  and i lost so many stuff D:<

Here it is.

BaguetteDooM.zip

So how can we get this into GZDoom? The least that needs to be done for this is use proper sentence case and accents for everything.

Aside from that, is it just some specific translations that are bad or larger sections? Those original Doom texts only constitute a small part of the entire set of text.

I also have to say that in my opinion the use of formal style is not something that fits well into either a game's user interface or the Strife story, but I cannot say if French people see this differently. For the German translation I used formal style only in a very few places in the Strife story where it seemed to make sense.

If it's only a few sections (e.g. the original 90's translation) that is bad and a change from formal to informal style, I think it would be manageable without investing too much work - the main French translator is a ZDoom forum regular and could help out and my personal knowledge of French is at least good enough to help with a change from formal to informal. But first I need a bit of an overview of what needs to be done.

Regarding Quebec, how different is the language? All I can judge is the German variations in Switzerland and Austria which would phrase a few things a bit differently, but it is very rare that special translations are being made for this, TBH, even the British English variant GZDoom got is something rather unusual from what I have seen in the past.

Edited by Graf Zahl

Quebec French differs from European French only in the informal language. There are differences in the vocabulary, expressions, grammar that make it hard for people from France to understand us and vice versa. Think of it as European English vs American English or European Spanish vs South American Spanish.

I'm not sure if it warrants to be part of an official GZDoom release though, I was thinking about distributing it as its own wad file.

Once we have a revised French translation it'd just mean an additional column where only the differences get entered. We already did this for English, Spanish and Portuguese, why not for French, if someone is willing to create the texts.

Nevertheless, first there needs to be some consensus about what style of text is proper for French and how much of the existing texts should be redone.

Anyone willing to help out may request editing access to the master spreadsheets and I'll grant it.

2 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

the main French translator is a ZDoom forum regular

Maybe it would be worth for me to get in touch with this person then. Could you DM me his handle?

French Translation of Doom:

"You got the Shotgun!" "You surrender!"

"You got the Chaingun!" "You surrender!"

"You got the Rocket Launcher!" "Mother died yesterday! I Can't be Sure!"

"You got the Plasma Rifle!" "Life is absurd! I am a cheese-eating surrender monkey!"

"You got the BFG9000! Oh Yes!"  "Apres moi, le deluge!"