Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xvertigox

Tim Willits Joins Saber Interactive as Chief Creative Officer

Tim Willits Joins Saber Interactive as Chief Creative Officer

“Being with a studio for 24 years, it’s really hard to leave,” Willits tells Fortune. “It’s almost like a marriage, for lack of a better description…. [But] I saw how Saber, as a team, was starting to grow and expand and pick up teams and studios. It was a good time to move over.”

Saber’s looking to keep that design philosophy, but it’s not planning to stay stagnant. Willits says the company is actively looking for new teams and studios in which to invest.

“It comes down to the attention to precise detail,” he says. “In a Quake or Doom game, everything has to be perfect—every microsecond. The games I’ve made in the past, they’re not the easiest games to play, but I’ve learned a lot on how to bring people in. And I do think there’s a lot of crossover. Even in World War Z, a lot of the mechanics are similar, but I do really believe I can bring some of that intensity and action into new genres.”

“At my age, you’ve got to work with people you like,” he says. “You’ve got to work on fun stuff. I don’t have anything to prove. I’ve been successful. I’ve made good games. … At the end of the day, I’m literally going to travel around the world to cool as places to work with awesome teams and make video games. Why would I pass this up?”

Interesting that he's moving to Saber... I've never thought of them as even being competent developers to be honest.

Sad that it took me two years to realize Saber did Quake Champions.

Oof.. I just realized they also did Will Rock.

Huh, interesting. I always thought he had a silent loathing for that studio because of how unstable QC is. Maybe he could get the rights to QC too but I don't really see that happening.

And before people make fun of Tim, he was a big part of pretty much all the Quake games, especially 3. Just saying because his achievements are often overlooked.