Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LadyVader1138

Is there alterations in the new ports?

I know in the BFG Edition, Doom and Doom II had modifications. Both altered the medpacks to feature pills instead of crosses (cause the Red Cross got stupidly annoyed by it) and Doom II's secret levels were censored. Do these modifications extend to the new ports?

As far as i have seen in the WADs i extracted from the iPhone apps, these changes are still present in the new ports. Plus the NIN Logo in E4M1 was removed.

On 8/1/2019 at 3:56 PM, LadyVader1138 said:

I know in the BFG Edition, Doom and Doom II had modifications. Both altered the medpacks to feature pills instead of crosses (cause the Red Cross got stupidly annoyed by it) and Doom II's secret levels were censored. Do these modifications extend to the new ports?

Late to reply by, like...a lot. The recent port(s) are very disappointing. Music is like 50% slower and each of the Master Levels can only be played via pistol-start. No carrying over of anything to the next level. Also, a small annoyance, albiet not game breaking in the least, each level in the Master Levels is called 'Map 1 Entryway' and plays the same, awkwardly slow Map 1 music. ::Sigh:: Very disappointed. 

Almost forgot, on the PS4, if trophies are your thing then prepare to (probably) not platinum Doom or Doom 2; each game has a "complete the whole game on Nightmare with a co-op partner". Ohh, that's right: split screen co-op, so no playing with your friends online or looking for others to play with. Unless they're in the same house/aprtment/whatever as you. 

Also, a gripe I have with the whole co-op Nightmare trophy: how many people are actually going to play these ports? How many people are going to play split screen co-op? How many people are going to play split screen....co-op....and on Nightmare? So stupid.... rant over.

Hope this answered your question, to some degree. Even if it's almost 2 weeks later.

-Chewy

4 hours ago, Chewyninja69 said:

Late to reply by, like...a lot. The recent port(s) are very disappointing. Music is like 50% slower and each of the Master Levels can only be played via pistol-start. No carrying over of anything to the next level. Also, a small annoyance, albiet not game breaking in the least, each level in the Master Levels is called 'Map 1 Entryway' and plays the same, awkwardly slow Map 1 music. ::Sigh:: Very disappointed. 

Almost forgot, on the PS4, if trophies are your thing then prepare to (probably) not platinum Doom or Doom 2; each game has a "complete the whole game on Nightmare with a co-op partner". Ohh, that's right: split screen co-op, so no playing with your friends online or looking for others to play with. Unless they're in the same house/aprtment/whatever as you. 

Also, a gripe I have with the whole co-op Nightmare trophy: how many people are actually going to play these ports? How many people are going to play split screen co-op? How many people are going to play split screen....co-op....and on Nightmare? So stupid.... rant over.

Hope this answered your question, to some degree. Even if it's almost 2 weeks later.

-Chewy

I'm enjoying it and I enjoyed playing with my best friend in local co-op and deathmatch on my Switch. Plus, I have all four major titles on one system, that's a win in my book.

I'm enjoying it as well, to an extent. It's just a bit disappointing that a fair amount of potential awesomeness (for lack of a better word) was left out. Oh well, glad to see/hear someone is enjoying it.

Hmm, I have a question.

Are there a super secret levels (E1M10 & Map33) in the Unity port?

Edited by Đeⓧiaz

4 hours ago, Đeⓧiaz said:

Hmm, I have a question.

I'm positive E1M10 is gone (has been since XBLA) and if Map 33 is in it, the entrance was dummied out of the XBLA version. So I highly doubt it.

12 hours ago, Đeⓧiaz said:

Hmm, I have a question.

No, none of both are in the IWADs.

Were any of the secret levels omitted from PSX DOOM?

No.

The other main alteration is while it’s high resolution it’s based on the 320x200 aspect ratio, but rather than vertical stretching to 4:3 it’s kept pixel-perfect, so some of the sprites might look wider than some people are used to. Matches Doom Legacy or Doom95 in 640x480’s sprite aspect ratio, much like some older console ports. I don’t mind this (hey, soulspheres are actually spherical now etc.) but some people might, and it’s arguable the sprites were drawn with vertical stretching in mind. The upside is that it takes up way more of a modern TV and there’s only a small amount of pillarboxing (with a nice subtle border which suits the game well).

Other than these things it’s pretty much the same as the PS360/D3BFG versions of the game, with more traditional menus (the old font and stuff), including the way the darkness effect is pulled back further than the PC version, brightening some areas.

Personally while I wish there was more to it, this is my favourite console port so far. The aspect ratio thing doesn’t bother me since I’m so used to other past versions which had this and I really like having Doom take up so much of my TV screen, and the music being a little slower hasn’t really been noticeable for me (this was present on Xbox 360 as well). It’s no match for a good source port on PC but it’s a good time.