Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Not Jabba

Not Jabba's Not the Cacowards Review Corner (rd reviews The Iron Forge)

1 minute ago, DuckReconMajor said:

Oh my god playing this made me so happy. I spent like a minute petting the doggy

Me too!

Great review, too bad that this map never seen the light of an official release on idgames... thanks for digging out this great (in all senses) map!

Thank you for the kind words and review of my maps, @Not Jabba. I'm always happy when people find some joy in my creations - especially the older stuff.

Thank you for the review, finding out the vanilla limits and how to get around them, and also working with the classic themes was really such a joy to work with at the time. Im glad some of that fun is present when people play the set

Much appreciated for an another review, Not Jabba! One thing I have to point out is that the link gives you the idgames page of Slaughterfest 3, instead of SlaughterMAX. Since the wad is not on idgames yet, I suggest you to link this thread on Doomworld. And for those who want to see the UV-Max playthrough of it, I actually recorded the viddump of my demo for the updated version a couple of days ago. Keep in mind that the amount of monsters is increased to 32k, and sorry about the lack of the background music; somehow, my -viddump parameter on PrBoom+ doesn't record the music for some reason:

Spoiler

(review expanded on 12/18/21)

Black Room by @Paul977

9NZU9pE.pngK9TTMPO.pngGrDltpM.png

Ever since Paul977 debuted in 2017 with Disciples of Darkness, a set of four tightly balanced gauntlet maps backed by soothing midis, he has been taking large sheaves out of Death-Destiny's tome of aesthetic and combat flair, inspired by works like Grime, Disturbia, and Abyssion, which are characterized by a pervasive eerie stillness that is offset by joyful eruptions into brutal combat puzzles. Other influences -- Malcom Sailor, Erik Alm -- are weaved into these choruses of violence, but D-D stands above all as the conductor in spirit. 

Imitation this brazen is bold: fail, and the work will be looked on by future generations with a matronly air of "ahh cute; rough but everyone has to start somewhere!" But Paul977 doesn't fail. While D-D was a visionary, he left room for improvement: on the visual front, there was rough alignment and texturing; on the gameplay front, there were occasional "harsh gotchas the first time, simple escape-and-wins thereafter" and other crude setups. And with ten additional years of models to draw from, the bar has been raised for everyone. So here we are with "Black Room," the latest of Paul977's single maps that build on D-D's patterns with an updated coat of polish.

Rare exceptions aside, the Difficult Maps industry has generally disavowed bright, cheery UAC techbases. More common are "darkbases" as in Black Room -- the familiar assets in familiar techbase shapes, but recolored in grittier combinations, hints of a grimy underbelly or a dark heart. This industry has also fallen in love with color coding, and Black Room's signature note is blue, which courses through sheets of shadowy black and brown. Inside, monster placement is guided as much by function as by staging: setups have an artful look and rhythm to the way they unfurl, the way groups are frozen at the start like statues and blink away to their initial positions once awoken. Like a lot in Ribbiks's Stardate series, encounters can play out as mechanics puzzles: while you're given the slack to manage the most intense crossfires with pure reflex and improvisation, you're encouraged to find precise plans to defang a lot of the most severe elements, which is further reinforced by the relative absence of true "traps," and the way Paul977 is willing to lay his cards on the table by showing you what is coming. His work also leans consistently easier than most of Death-Destiny's.  

So, unlike the most extreme gauntlets out there, a defining quality of Black Room -- and Paul977's maps in general -- is a general pliability. Take each fragment as you're given, and at times under the whistles of the MIDI, trekking through silence or fighting a lone monster, the mood is downright soothing. And though the rhythms of modern setpiece-based challenge play are all there, a diligent player willing to work out strategies will find they don't really need to be a Doomgod to feel like one at times. 

Though not a truly great map -- that called for a memorable showpiece fight or two, a more fully realized (perhaps Elysion-like) setting with greater visual variety, and some other X-factor -- it is surprisingly close for something so modest. Difficulty settings are included, so play on UV at your own risk, and see your doctor immediately if the MIDI loops for more than four hours. 

Thanks a lot for the awesome review and pics, Not Jabba! :)

I'm glad that you've enjoyed both Moonblood and Exomoon!

Both wads ended being targeted to specfic playerbase (especially Moonblood), which I hope I can expand in my next works.

Castlevania: Simon's Destiny by @Batandy

l8ja77ot.png JoLC7HWt.png jD2NI5Rt.png 6YunROTt.png X77M7XLt.png vb5am1Bt.png

Xd6QOqrt.png CZp8ydpt.png bzoAANZt.png 5Khj8tit.png noZVVy2t.png HVwl80it.png

Recreating Game X in Game Y is one of the most common forms of project in a lot of modding communities, and if the idea is often synonymous with low-quality vaporware, that's probably because it's usually the first project of an inexperienced game designer. Batandy, however, has stuck with it and made it the focus of his mapping career. Ideally, a mod like this combines the best of both games into a hybrid form, keeping what works and rejecting what doesn't, and Doom: The Golden Souls 2 is a masterpiece of exactly that—drawing from all sorts of games, but focusing on the Super Mario series to transform Doom into a cross-genre universe that's both lighthearted and violent, a blend of familiar and unfamiliar (but always intuitive) gameplay mechanics. The original Golden Souls, which I still have yet to play, is by most accounts great fun as well, albeit with a different set of strengths and weaknesses, and I'm highly anticipating the recently announced third installment.

Castlevania: Simon's Destiny is a bit of a different animal, and although I don't think it translates the Castlevania mechanics into Doom as well as the Golden Souls series does for SMB, it's an interesting hybrid that leaves a strong impression if you can stick it out—and a lot of people seemed to love it when it was released. Somewhat in contrast with GS2, it recreates all the tropes of the early Castlevania games with absolute faithfulness, and therefore plays something like "Castlevania in Doom" rather than "Castlevania Doom." All of its best points—and all of its worst ones—are ultimately born out of this decision. 

On a lot of levels, Simon's Destiny is brilliant homage with a great sense of authenticity to it. The settings for each map feel so much like locations you'd encounter in the series that you'll probably find yourself trying to remember whether they're referencing specific Castlevania levels or not. Every map is backed up by the sorts of high-energy monster-masher tracks that helped make the series so famous (though I don't recognize any of them entirely—I'm not sure if they're remixes or tracks from later games that I never played). All the most memorable monsters are there: the Goddamned Bats, the bone-chucking skeletons, the fish men that pop up out of the water, the infinitely respawning wavy medusa heads, the many and varied flavors of living suits of armor, the turrets made of dragon skulls, the boss fights against the likes of the twin mummies, Frankenstein('s monster), and Death. Combat is melee with the whip plus special items like throwing daggers, axes, and holy water, which are fueled by hearts that you get from smashing things (Note: these use alt-fire rather than being inventory items, which took me a little while to figure out). All of this can be really fun to discover; a lot of the experience of playing the mapset is getting that nostalgic spark with each new element that's introduced, and seeing how faithfully it was done and how it all plays out in the Doom engine.

On the other hand, there's a lot of frustration in seeing how a lot of these tropes don't adapt as well to the Doom engine as they do in a 2D platformer. The focus on melee combat can make the game more of a grind, especially in later levels where ammo for the special items becomes more scarce. Many enemies, particularly harassers, become more of a pain due to being harder to hit with three axes of space rather than two. The boss battles compound on these problems, and I found them mostly infuriating, even (especially?) the very first one, which is against a giant form of Goddamned Bat. Gathering heart ammo and other items becomes a huge grind simply because it takes time to smash every decoration lining the walls of a 3D room, as opposed to having them simply be in your path in 2D. The rooms and halls that make up most of the maps are very boxy and plain, in comparison to GS2's environments, which were hugely varied and more freely shaped, even though both games use linear map design. The common thread is that a lot of stuff simply doesn't execute flawlessly in 3D space, which is a problem that GS2 avoids by taking inspiration for many aspects of its design (most notably the weapons) from Doom. In keeping with the source material, Castlevania also puts a lot more effort into being Nintendo Hard, which makes anything you might not like about it all the more frustrating. And again, this contrasts with GS2, where I tended to feel like I had a firm grasp on the challenges thrown at me and felt like I could own my mistakes more—though I could say the same thing about any classic Castlevania game vs. the Super Mario games from the same era, so maybe that's just a matter of taste.

Simon's Destiny ramps up in intensity just as much as you would expect, and it's at its best when it's going full-blown homage to the more interesting elements of the Castlevania games—when you're hopping across pieces of crumbled bridges, when the fish-men spawn wave after wave as you rush forward, when the ground crumbles out from under you as you try to make it to safety while being dive-bombed by a dozen boss bats. The final map is the one that perhaps does it best, a fully mechanized castle with lots of vertical movement and conveyor belt platforming that requires some pretty precise timing, not to mention the requisite multi-stage final boss battle. The thing that makes this mapset difficult to love unequivocally is also its greatest draw: Simon's Destiny is so utterly, unapologetically an homage to another series of games that it's hard not to be charmed by it.

Edited by Not Jabba

1 hour ago, FrancisT18 said:

@Not JabbaAny future plans to cover these from 2018?

Team Rocket

Deathless

Pumpkin Hell

Tangerine Nightmare

Demonic Deviation

Sons of Ares

Just Tangerine Nightmare and Deathless, and I'll try to write one for Breathless as well if I can't find a guest reviewer for it. TN is currently claimed by a guest reviewer.

Sorry about the rest -- there's only so much I can do, and I'm definitely curating the selection somewhat even though it extends well beyond what's gotten awards. I probably won't cover very many speedmap sessions/compilations, or many non-selective community projects, but there can always be some exceptions.

Worth noting that Tourniquet had a map after Altitude in Slaughtermax, that i guess got ignored like the rest of the wad for map28 ;P

You are not Jabba. I'm not Jabba either. I don't know who Jabba must be but I do know that I'm enjoying reading those reviews. Glad to have stumbled upon this.

Its nice to have some sort of a continuation to the newstuff in this way, to wich I used to look forward almost every week back in the day. 

Nice to see someone shining light to wads that would otherwise be mostly overlooked and left in the dark. Didn't knew about most of those in this thread until now. And they're all stunners!

Demonic Deviation and Sons of Ares aren't community wads or speedmaps, but it doesn't matter, I really enjoy these even if it isn't completely thorough. :) While not true of the last couple (since Moonblood), many wads covered on this thread also are ones I may have easily forgotten about given they're not just 'more work by a Cacoward or runner up recipient'.

Doomguy Gets a Puppy by @Big Ol Billy

Fi7LvHUt.png e2v4mpVt.png pAcoxJ9t.png

Doomguy Gets a Puppy is the debut map of Big Ol' Billy, who has become best known as the standout mapper at the heart of the DBP series. There are a few other solid mappers in the DBP cadre, but I don't mind saying that as a rule of thumb, the quality of any given mapset in the monthly community project series is largely dependent on the extent to which Billy is involved in it. His style is distinctive and might best be described as extremely creative '90s camp—standard classic Doom gameplay at heart, but wrapped up in such oddball thematic ideas, and with such attention to telling its own bizarre story, that it takes on a life of its own. A tour through croquet-themed symbolism, a lethal gladiatorial game based on the '90s Nickelodeon series Legend of the Hidden Temple, a fearsome scramble around a hellish spiral with shifting geometry, a mining colony in space ruined by capitalism—well, I can tell you more about his 2019 maps another time, perhaps.

The premise of Doomguy Gets a Puppy is that you were about to adopt the cutest Yorkshire terrier in France, Imelda Barkos, who was to fill the empty space in your heart left by Daisy's death, but then she was kidnapped by demonic pet shop owners. M. and Mme. Poulet were apparently a Spider Mastermind and a Cyberdemon all along, and they've secreted your beloved dog away in their well-guarded mansion. You know what to do, though.

Although the map is generally pretty moderate, the start can be a bit tricky, as you'll have no safe footing until you can find your way past either the Mastermind who runs the mansion or a room full of zombies, at which point you can start to carve out your foothold and gather more resources. The start doesn't pull punches, deploying Revenants and Mancubi right away in order to push you to get the lay of the land and discover the camping Mastermind who serves as one of your main goals. You can fight it at any time, at least once you've got the armaments and munitions to take it on, though you'll probably want to get it to wreak some havoc among its own minions first. Once you've dealt with initial threats, it's fairly comfortable to push through the rest of the mansion and caves to clear out the remaining opposition, though there are a couple of evil surprises along the way. Make sure to pry the blue key out of the Mastermind's cold, dead foot bumpers and find the secret blue doors, which house mysterious potions that will "cause Doomguy to confront his deepest hopes and fears about pet ownership."

The other crux of the map is the gardens, where you'll find your furry companion and then hold your ground against waves of opposition before you can get through to the exit. Note that when you pick up Imelda Barkos, she serves as a chainsaw replacement—I daresay you won't want to use her against the main fight in the garden's center, but the map conveniently provides a wave of Pinkies and a wave of Spectres on the way out, so she can still take out her pent-up aggression and express her devotion to you by biting off your enemies' faces. All in all, this is a really fun little map in which you'll probably come for the bizarre story but stay for the pleasantly active fights and interesting design quirks. So far, I think it's Big Ol' Billy's only solo release, but hopefully we'll see more.

Edited by Not Jabba

Thanks @Not Jabba this was a great flashback for me. In case anyone wonders, the “Lil’ E” credited in various places (including in a secret in the map itself) is my girlfriend, who mostly wrote the story and sat beside me during the many nights I spent making this map. I think it all started when she joked that I should build her a castle, and I said I would—in Doom. Great memories! Hopefully I’ve progressed in some ways since as a mapper, but there’s a lot of love and joy in this little map :)

Editorial note:

The following reviews are all reposted from The /newstuff Chronicles. It's kind of funny looking back on my old reviews and seeing how I could have written things better or added more depth, or places where my biases were showing against certain kinds of maps that I've since learned to appreciate more as I've played a ton of stuff, tried to understand it from the proper perspective, and broadened my horizons more. I feel like this batch of reviews in particular is very short, and that's probably because I was getting a bit burned out on /newstuff at that time. I don't think I really did justice to these, especially Templum Dormiens Dei. Templum is a great Heretic map, and I would recommend it enthusiastically to anyone who likes the game, or thinks they don't. It's good with vanilla gameplay, but it's also one of the very best maps I've played with The Wayfarer's Tome.

It's also worth noting in hindsight that Travelling to the Moon is the prequel to Man on the Moon, an even more awesome map that was a 2018 Cacoward runner-up.

Templum Dormiens Dei by Stormwalker aka Vordakk

F2s2cDut.png akN9RyRt.png GEiMrKdt.png xrV3do4t.png N5QDqTyt.png

You've probably figured out by now that I'm one of the Six Fans of Heretic, and a new release for one of the Raven IWADs is always a treat, especially if it's really well done. Stormwalker has made some pretty cool Heretic wads in the past (Dark Deity's Bastion and Call of the Apostate), but Templum Dormiens Deity is probably their best work so far.

First off, the level looks really nice, and it gets a ton of mileage out of what I'm pretty sure is nothing but stock textures. There's a great contrast between large outdoor areas and atmospheric, slightly claustrophobic indoor sections. The lighting is excellent and sets the mood of a dungeon crawl whenever you leave the brighter outdoor areas behind. The music is also well chosen and adds a lot to the atmosphere (and it's by Kevin Schilder, so it fits Heretic like a glove—must be from one of Raven's later 3D games).

The map feels very exploratory, and slow-paced in a good way. I've spent a lot of time lately thinking about Heretic in terms of how to speed up or vary the pacing, but TDD proves that the feeling of slowly carving your way through an imposing enemy bastion, hunting for loot and watching for enemies in every shadow, is very much what Heretic is set up to excel at. To make things even more interesting, there are three new monsters (the Medusa from Hexen 2, a stationary turret gem, and the flying wizards that were used in Strange Aeons), all of which have low health like typical Heretic monsters but have attacks that are more difficult to dodge. There's also a final boss that throws a variety of attacks at you, including some that reduce player stats such as speed. Stormwalker has even found interesting ways to use the regenerating explosive pods, both as a legitimate part of combat and to set up deadly gantlets (in combination with crushers) between you and some useful gear or an important switch.

Templum Dormiens Dei is a large level that takes a solid half hour to play, and it's worth every second. I've played it, and Stormwalker has obviously played it, so that's at least four fans still unaccounted for. You know who you are—don't miss it!

Travelling to the Moon by @Yugiboy85

qlk11gHt.png zx8luSkt.png TubhZpOt.png QVuFP4at.png VPriWPht.png

Traveling to the Moon is a very large (around 50 minutes to beat) lunar base level in the vein of Valiant E5, but decked out in the CC4 texture set. The map is stunning to look at, with plenty of panoramic views, gorgeous spot lighting, and lots of those cool scrolling forcefield effects that always seem to be at the heart of CC4-tex maps. The whole thing is set to a great laid-back electronica OGG track (at least if you're playing in ZDoom; the textfile makes it sound like Boom players are treated to Jimmy's "Voyage 1," my all-time favorite Doom MIDI), and although the music and the pulsing lights make you want to trance out, the action rarely gives you a break.

This map is very challenging. As you explore around the non-linear central base area, you'll face a lot of what I'm going to call incidental combat on steroids: moderate monster density, plenty of roaming hitscanners, and smallish ambushes at just about every turn. The toughest action takes place in the three peripheral keycard arenas, two of which feature rather elegant slaughter-level battles and one of which has a pair of slightly smaller fights instead. After you collect all three keys (in any order), you open up a final arena for a really impressive multi-stage horde battle that includes several Cyberdemons. There are two things I like about the slaughter-type battles in this map that help bring them down more toward the average player's skill level. First, most of them let you feel out the arena and gather all your ammo before you trigger the enemies via the obvious and ominous switches. Second, the hordes all contain a ton of fodder enemies, making them really fun to blast apart with the rocket launcher (which is easily the favored weapon for this map, as there's a ton of rocket ammo all over). Unless you're an invincible Doom god who demands the utmost difficulty, this map on UV should be a pretty nice balance for just about any experienced player who's looking for a challenge. The one thing that can be irritating at times is the abundance of hitscanners, though they can also be very helpful for infighting purposes.

Traveling to the Moon isn't just fun, it's inspiring—everything from the architecture to the combat hits the spot. Highly recommended.

Uplink by @Katamori

xlz7X8it.png wL8np1ut.png dRuO0w8t.png JWxO1s5t.png yL9O2kAt.png

Uplink is a set of three maps that take place almost entirely in a CC4-skinned cyberspace. This type of setting has been done before (most recently, to my knowledge, in the last few levels of Mutiny), but Katamori's execution is pretty unique. Blue and silver are the primary colors, and the author has focused on complex architectural structures and simple (non-annoying) maze-like environments that call to mind the shapes of circuitry. The maps all do a great job of conveying the setting, and there are some pretty neat digital concepts integrated into the architecture—my favorite is the huge scrolling bands of floating crates in map 02 that represent the flow of data. Laid-back electronic tracks set the tone for each level (map 03's track is especially good), and I felt like they really helped me get immersed.

In keeping with the unreality of the setting, things change rapidly in these levels, whether it's a key suddenly teleporting away or a bunch of walls lowering, and you have to think on your feet. Combat is trap-oriented, but it's generally pretty moderate; it never feels trollish or difficult to get out of, it just forces you to react quickly. The mapset ends with a very cool final battle against a bunch of Pain Elementals—because you don't have plasma weapons and they teleport into the arena rapidly, your only choice is to take them on with the rocket launcher, making for some seriously nerve-wracking combat with an emphasis on maneuvering quickly for a good shot. All in all, these smallish maps are well worth the time to play, and I really enjoyed them.

Edited by Not Jabba

Return to Daro by @Ryath

7AIw0uqt.png shwbwwSt.png 8IawqlVt.png uaR5yO0t.png

CyzHjFQt.png so3654Mt.png GucabCAt.png WPYVOZ5t.png

I'd certainly view myself as a classicist, or retroist, when it comes to video gaming in general—it's why I'm here, after all—but most of the great '90s megawads aren't my cup of tea. STRAIN is no exception—as with Eternal Doom, Perdition's Gate, Icarus, and many others from the era, I have a hard time getting past the dated aesthetic and the plainness of the maps themselves, and 32 maps is a pretty long haul when you're not feeling enthusiastic about something. I've played it, of course, but only once, and it had to have been 13 or 14 years ago now. So something like Return to Daro is perfect for me; this tribute mapset distills the essence of STRAIN down into just four short to medium-sized maps, showing off the most interesting aspects of the megawad's innovative Dehacked work and unusual texture themes without any of the grind.

If you're not familiar with STRAIN, it is, of course, the cream of the '90s crop, arguably surpassed only by Requiem and perhaps (assuming you don't hate it completely) Eternal Doom. The heart of it is the built-in Dehacked gameplay mod, which is quite extensive and dramatically changes the feel of the game. Pinkies are tankier and faster, Lost Souls shoot fireballs immediately before charging, Cyberdemons are shrunken and have roughly the health of a Hell Knight, and Revenants are reskinned as a floating robot that fires much slower-moving seeker missiles. Mancubi, Arachnotrons, Masterminds, and Pain Elementals are gone entirely, replaced by an Imp variant that zooms around and then stops to turret at you; a lightweight flying cube that moves around erratically and fires a hitscan attack; and a white Baron that behaves somewhat unpredictably and tosses a spread of projectiles at you. The Spectre is also gone, and instead there's a spectral Revenant-bot. Most of the guns are a bit more powerful, and with most of the beefiest enemies removed, and the highest-tier enemy having similar health to a Baron, the combat moves quickly. As a counterbalance, many of the new enemies have pretty dangerous attacks. It's a slightly more glass cannon mode of play, and you could say that it plays up the tactics of dealing with individual enemies more, whereas Doom itself is generally seen as being more about the macro-strategy of dealing with larger groups of enemies that are easily avoidable on their own.

Like STRAIN, Return to Daro takes great care to introduce each new or customized enemy, and each weapon, in a way that feels meaningful—and although it's a short set, it makes sure to fit in a couple of big fights that hinge on each enemy, either alone or in combination with other enemy types. Arch-Viles, now the closest thing the game has to a boss enemy, are used only a handful of times, and to great effect, in fights that really bring out their strengths and the strategies involved in fighting them. Other than that, though, the stars of the show are the enemies that are the most unique to STRAIN: the mini-Cybers, the white Demon Lords, the Revenant-bots, the flying cubes, and the enhanced Imps.

Map 01 is the most classically minded, the one that feels like it could have come directly out of the '90s, with a condensed back-and-forth layout and enemy placement that leans mostly toward the more familiar, popcorny enemies. Map 02, on the other hand, provides an immediate contrast and embraces the more puzzly aspects of STRAIN, giving you a light floor puzzle right out of the gate (simple enough to navigate, unless you want to squeeze the secrets out of it) and then some sneaky fighting that can vary a lot depending on how you approach the map but is likely to make you think on your feet.

Map 03 is the largest and most complex of the bunch, and easily my favorite. It's one of those Light World/Dark World maps where you periodically enter a different version of reality, and the things you do in one realm affect the other. The interplay between worlds is handled nicely, and the map has a handful of very cool fights against the diverse custom bestiary. Map 04 is more of an all-out brawl, a fast-paced final exam where you face every interesting enemy type in the game, ending with a big dodge-fest where you take on a wave of Demon Lords with the super-BFG.

Return to Daro probably has a ton of homages to the original megawad, but I barely remember anything from STRAIN. I did, however, recognize map 03's tribute to Charlie Patterson's "Entryway" (STRAIN map 10), which Xaser and others convinced me was one of the most memorable maps of all time. STRAIN fans will no doubt recognize more, but the mapset definitely feels like it has ideas of its own, and it offers a smoother, more modern take on what people love about STRAIN. These four maps make a pretty convincing case for what the megawad has to offer, and who knows—maybe I'll revisit it someday after all. But regardless of what you think of its aged parent, Return to Daro is a quick, pleasant little romp that doesn't even come close to wearing out its welcome.

Edited by Not Jabba