Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ghot

Question about .deh files

Ok, I'm using ZDoom and ZDL on Win 7 x64.

I've been downloading some of the megawads from Doomworld.  Some have .deh files.

What are these for?  Do I need them?  If so, how do I launch them via ZDL?

Thx in advance.

A .deh file is a DehackED file. DehackED was an old method of modding doom which involved patching the executable itself to change text and enemy behaviour.

These days, most ports still support .deh files, and they are usually loaded with the -deh command line parameter, followed by the name of the .deh file.

2 hours ago, Alper002 said:

A .deh file is a DehackED file. DehackED was an old method of modding doom which involved patching the executable itself to change text and enemy behaviour.

These days, most ports still support .deh files, and they are usually loaded with the -deh command line parameter, followed by the name of the .deh file.

I understand that.  But is there a way to just drag and drop a .deh file into ZDL (launcher)?

I don't know about ZDL, but most ports from PrBoom+ onwards support DeHackEd patches in the wad itself. If that's the way you wanna roll, just copy and paste the patch into the wad using SLADE, rename it to DEHACKED and off you trot.

Unless the patch is in there already of course. Most modern releases do that.

4 hours ago, Obsidian said:

I don't know about ZDL, but most ports from PrBoom+ onwards support DeHackEd patches in the wad itself. If that's the way you wanna roll, just copy and paste the patch into the wad using SLADE, rename it to DEHACKED and off you trot.

Unless the patch is in there already of course. Most modern releases do that.

Well the wad works, with just adding it to ZDL and launching.  But in the .zip file it has a .deh file as well.  It has instructions like those mentioned in the 1st reply, but I'd rather just run it thru the launcher ZDL, if possible.

Edited by Ghot

2 hours ago, Ghot said:

Well the wad works, with just adding it to ZDL and launching.  But in the .zip file it has a .deh file as well.  It has instructions like those mentioned in the 1st reply, but I'd rather just run it thru the launcher ZDL, if possible.

SLADE.

5 hours ago, Ghot said:

Most likely the wad has the deh embedded and so there's nothing you need to do. Or are you certain it's not loaded when you start the wad via ZDL?

On 8/14/2019 at 1:40 PM, Jon said:

Most likely the wad has the deh embedded and so there's nothing you need to do. Or are you certain it's not loaded when you start the wad via ZDL?

As I understand it, I should see some changes to the DOOM engine itself.  The wad that prompted this topic, didn't evidence anything really out of the ordinary.  Some other megawads, have changes that are uber-obvious...  those I assume have the the deh files embedded.

The one that caused me to post, was STRAIN, I believe.

I've been looking for megawads sporting 32-ish level, and something non-vanilla.

I found one called Epic2 which was obviously NOT vanilla.  It had an Egypt theme for approx. 15-16 of the 30 some levels.

I kept expecting an Indiana Jones boulder to come rolling out of somewhere, and proceed to crush me.  No such luck.  But I was impressed with the sounds if nothing else.  When big stones in the wad moved, they sounded like big stones moving, etc.

The complete mini-map was even a gold parchment instead of the green boxy thing.

Anyway...  that's why I was curious if there was a simple drag and drop way to add the deh file when using ZDL.

/e  For example, here is a SS from Epic2.  But I'm not even sure if this is an embedded deh file or just some clever work with textures.  My guess, is embedded deh file.

Z8sDAMH.png

Edited by Ghot

If the deh is an external file, you could always run it from a shortcut with:

enginename.exe -file wadname.wad -deh dehname.deh

I'm not real familiar with ZDL, but if it has an "additional parameters" field, then you could add the -deh dehname.deh in it, assuming that the needed pwad is already loaded in the launcher also. 

Unless you try to play a WAD from before 2000, you can nearly always assume that the DEH patch is also included in the WAD itself, the separate copy is meant for engines that cannot load them in embedded form.

6 hours ago, Mr.Rocket said:

If the deh is an external file, you could always run it from a shortcut with:

enginename.exe -file wadname.wad -deh dehname.deh

I'm not real familiar with ZDL, but if it has an "additional parameters" field, then you could add the -deh dehname.deh in it, assuming that the needed pwad is already loaded in the launcher also. 

Ok this is ZDL.  It's got a nice,clean simple interface.  I have the ZDL folder nested inside the ZDOOM installation directory, and the megawads, inside the ZDL folder.  This was done more for me to keep track of everything, as ZDL allows me to set the file path for just about anything.

So, I'm assuming I can just call the deh file in the lower left, with the "Extra command line arguments"?

vHVjwXw.png

2 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

Unless you try to play a WAD from before 2000, you can nearly always assume that the DEH patch is also included in the WAD itself, the separate copy is meant for engines that cannot load them in embedded form.

Yeah, I think STRAIN actually was pre-2000.  It had good reviews, but I wasn't that impressed.  Then again, I ran it w/o the deh files.  :)

Edited by Ghot

Yes the extra command line arguments should do the trick.

Strain was good for the time and you are correct, it pre-dates source ports so the external DEH will be needed. I am trying to remember what the DEH did exactly. Level names, and I have vague memories of a modified shotgun. Likely more than that.

* googles *

Yep, new and modified monsters. They definitely will not work right without the DEH file.

20 hours ago, Murdoch said:

Yes the extra command line arguments should do the trick.

Strain was good for the time and you are correct, it pre-dates source ports so the external DEH will be needed. I am trying to remember what the DEH did exactly. Level names, and I have vague memories of a modified shotgun. Likely more than that.

* googles *

Yep, new and modified monsters. They definitely will not work right without the DEH file.

I guess the ZDL folk, should have just made a 3rd panel in their interface for deh files.   :)

Well, at least it has a command line args field heh.

ZDoom based ports should show that the external deh file was loaded from within the game console also.

Well it seems ZDL does handle .deh files.  It just took me a while to find it.  See the RED dots...

cmIHugZ.png