Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nekr0s1s

Unpopular Modern Opinions

23 hours ago, WalterAB said:

Quoting just a single line from your post so I don't clutter the thread for people uninterested into our conversation, I'm actually addressing your entire post.

Like I said, there certainly is art in videogames. But most games are designed around a core mechanic, and all the artistic aspects come afterwards.

Let's take our beloved classic doom as an example: It's designed around the idea of being an immersive shooter, where the player feel like they're inside the game. The mechanics as to how the game is fun to play are centered around combat, exploration and mild puzzle solving. These are pretty technical things. Creative, sure, but still technical. All the art comes afterwards. Sprites, textures, music, cover art, logo, writing.

That is not to say that there aren't any games that focus more on the artistic aspects. Certainly there are. I've played a few games that I felt were pretty artistic. That doesn't mean that videogames as whole is an art form.

Let me put it this way... You can certainly make art out of ice blocks, that doesn't mean that all ice blocks are inherently art.

true, random scribbling like the stuff done by kids is not considered art unless there is something else, though shitty art does exist.

16 hours ago, Nekr0s1s said:

are there any requirements for something to be truly considered art?

Art hooks into your brain like mental meathooks. You'll keep mulling over it mentally. If it's really good art, it might even just "slam" the air out of your lungs, or just haunt you and cause obsessions for weeks and months. So within the context of videogames, an artistic videogame will stay with you long after you've finished it. Not "Oh man how do I get past this level? How do I improve my skills?" but instead "Oh man, that level was so insane. That story segment was really good!"

Games are essentially created by the player inside their own brain to a far greater extend than other media due to the player mapping the game world inside their head to react to events and plan out future possibilities. It's far more of a personal experience than say, a film, a painting or a book. Because you don't watch actions be performed, but you perform the actions. Videogames in my opinion are far closer to say, (public-participatory) performance art than say film.

That's why in my opinion so few games can reach art game status through traditional narrative means. The only game developer that can reliably make a good art game out of traditional narrative elements in my opinion is Kojima. Given the unique status of videogames within the greater creative industry, it's philosophically easier to focus the artistic quality of the game on the "gamefeel" of the game. Since you perform actions, videogames have a unique artistic action and that should be exploited more.

59 minutes ago, FractalBeast said:

If it's really good art, it might even just "slam" the air out of your lungs, or just haunt you and cause obsessions for weeks and months

Yep, sounds exactly like my Angry Birds 2 obsession last year.

I Love Postal , Hatred, And literally every Offensive game ever created, (Don't look at me like that! some are actually pretty fun!)

13 minutes ago, Morpheus66 said:

I Love Postal , Hatred, And literally every Offensive game ever created, (Don't look at me like that! some are actually pretty fun!)

Even on a purely ironic level, Ethnic Cleansing is utter shit of the absolute lowest caliber. 

Postal 1 has an amazing aesthetic and atmosphere. I'm bummed they went from "inside a serial killer's mind" to "dude south park lmao" with Postal 2. 

18 minutes ago, Ajora said:

Even on a purely ironic level, Ethnic Cleansing is utter shit of the absolute lowest caliber. 

I agree with you there

For an actual unpopular opinion, Bleed is one of my least favorite songs off of Obzen. 

Its not that I hate the song, it’s just that when you stack it up to everything else in the album it just falls short for me. It’s also a bit repetitive and it has a poor shelf life. 

(Never played Postal but a friend has spend several hours waxing lyrically about the game design behind it.) Postal in my opinion stands a tad bit above any other "offensive game" because it's less about offensive shit, and more about a life sim gone horribly horribly horribly wrong. I mean, what other "offensive game" allows you to kill off a whole town by doing nothing but making people homicidally angry at you when they're near cops (resulting in the cops killing your target because they tried to kill you)?

Doom 2016 is pretty good but I HATE the weapon upgrade system.  The mods themselves are awesome, but the way they implemented the whole upgrade system breaks the game in many ways.  If you don't put points into your guns the game will start to get too hard (especially on higher difficulties.)  When you go back to play earlier levels the game becomes too easy due to your guns being OP.  It also makes you rely on one or two weapon too much early on in the game due to them being more effective with the points in it.  All of your weapons should be effective in different ways for different situations.

Really hope they fix this in Doom Eternal.

1 hour ago, STILES said:

Doom 2016 is pretty good but I HATE the weapon upgrade system.  The mods themselves are awesome, but the way they implemented the whole upgrade system breaks the game in many ways.  If you don't put points into your guns the game will start to get too hard (especially on higher difficulties.)  When you go back to play earlier levels the game becomes too easy due to your guns being OP.  It also makes you rely on one or two weapon too much early on in the game due to them being more effective with the points in it.  All of your weapons should be effective in different ways for different situations.

Really hope they fix this in Doom Eternal.

that is an issue with leveling and upgrade systems in level based games in general, they lock abilities that characters realistically should already have such as moves, and makes the character overpowered in earlier levels.

2 hours ago, Eurisko said:

Social media is horrendous. 

Not sure how unpopular that opinion is at this point, more and more people seem to reach this conclusion if given enough time.

If there's a movie based on a book, it's much better to watch the movie first. This way you will have good impressions from both movie and book.

Photorealistic art is super bland and boring. Abstract art is so much better!

13 hours ago, seed said:

Not sure how unpopular that opinion is at this point, more and more people seem to reach this conclusion if given enough time.

Yeah , you're not wrong there. Though its a shame that's not reflected in its usage.

6 hours ago, Eurisko said:

Yeah , you're not wrong there. Though its a shame that's not reflected in its usage.

Probably because most of us who hate it still use it because it's decent at keeping you up to date with content you're interested in. For instance, if I wouldn't have cared about various pages, tons of bands and record labels, plus some groups from college I would have deleted my FB account ages ago. But I still need it, which sucks.

this isn't really an unpopular opinion, but the regressive left, which includes the terror org antifa and the racist anti-police hate movement known as BLM, have become increasingly violent and may eventually start a civil war in the US.

17 hours ago, dentine said:

this isn't really an unpopular opinion, but the regressive left, which includes the terror org antifa and the racist anti-police hate movement known as BLM, have become increasingly violent and may eventually start a civil war in the US.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Spoiler

Especially hilarious when the USA has just had a week of nearly daily far-right terrorist attacks.

Developers adding vr support for none vr games, I am interested in games specifically made for vr but in games like skyrim for example it's just a stupid gimmick and I don't think any would like to play the whole game with that, why waste time with that if you could maybe be fixing some game breaking bugs instead?

13 minutes ago, ([zen3001]) said:

Developers adding vr support for none vr games, I am interested in games specifically made for vr but in games like skyrim for example it's just a stupid gimmick and I don't think any would like to play the whole game with that, why waste time with that if you could maybe be fixing some game breaking bugs instead?

I understand your position, but also the position of the devs. Turning regular games into VR games help developers getting closer to THAT holy grail of a non-VR-based game with non-teleporting-movement in full VR that won't make 1/3th of all gamers puke their innards out like a Quake ogre eating a gibbing grenade up his ass.

If you nail that as a developing studio, you're cooking with gas. You've got the goose with the golden eggs.

i recently saw a picture of the recently announced Need For Speed Heat, and i have to say....

...When will this 80's circle-jerk end? it has overstayed it's welcome period, now it's time to die for good.

Edited by Nekr0s1s

2 hours ago, Nekr0s1s said:

i recently saw a picture of the recently announced Need For Speed Heat, and i have to say....

...When will this 80's circle-jerk end? it has overstayed it's welcome period, now it's time to die for good.

The game takes place in the present. A few neon lights don't necessarily mean it's the 80s. Though, if the game were set in the 80s, I'd be more interested in it. The 80s was the greatest decade in history, and if anything I wish there were more 80s callbacks in pop culture. 

non avian theropods are massively overrated

herbivore dinosaurs are underrated

11 hours ago, Ajora said:

The game takes place in the present. A few neon lights don't necessarily mean it's the 80s. Though, if the game were set in the 80s, I'd be more interested in it. The 80s was the greatest decade in history, and if anything I wish there were more 80s callbacks in pop culture. 

I just hate the synthwave aesthetic and music that's so associated with it these days, it's not really what comes to my mind when I think of the 80s.

It's also interresting how much culture has change with the internet being so widely accesible. the 90s are almost like a completely different era, people have different motivations, goals and as someone born in gen I'm really confused at times when I think about where people got their news from before the internet and how they made up their opinions.

3 hours ago, ([zen3001]) said:

where people got their news from before the internet and how they made up their opinions.

TV, newspapers, interacting with others maybe.

On 8/14/2019 at 5:14 PM, seed said:

Probably because most of us who hate it still use it because it's decent at keeping you up to date with content you're interested in.

And that's exactly why we all still use it. Up to the minute news.

10 hours ago, ([zen3001]) said:

I just hate the synthwave aesthetic and music that's so associated with it these days, it's not really what comes to my mind when I think of the 80s.

It's also interresting how much culture has change with the internet being so widely accesible. the 90s are almost like a completely different era, people have different motivations, goals and as someone born in gen I'm really confused at times when I think about where people got their news from before the internet and how they made up their opinions.

The 80s had the best music. The 80s had the best everything. The 80s ruled.