Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

Doom: Annihilation update

I actually just got around to seeing the 2005 Doom a few years ago when I found it for $1 at a farmer's market.

On 7/16/2019 at 3:25 AM, TheMightyHeracross said:

Right there in the trailer, 23 seconds in: "We've opened up a portal to Hell"

Look, I know you wanna hate-circlejerk the movie and hey, I don't have particularly high hopes myself to be honest, but come on.

Is this by any chance supposed to be scary?

On 8/4/2019 at 1:45 AM, Man of Doom said:

I can’t believe I have to go to bat for what’s essentially a low-budget B-movie, but here we go. 

The director has already had to clarify that:

-Demons WILL actually be demons from hell and not genetically engineered mutants

-There WILL be a proper DoomGUY, and not just a female Doomgal as the lead

-Research was done on the games (including classic Doom, Doom 3, and Doom 2016) to make it as faithful as possible

-The story is more or less an adaptation of Knee-Deep in the Dead

-The director is himself a fan of the games

Additionally, we’ve more or less seen that:

-The setpieces are heavily inspired by classic Doom

-There’s already confirmed to be lots of gore involved

-The cast and crew involved were having a hell of a time making this movie 

-The “who needs Doomguy” tweet was clearly meant as a tongue-in-cheek joke that way too many idiots took out of context

-The vitriol had gotten so bad that at one point people actually started engaging in targeted harassment of the cast and crew (especially the lead actress and director)

Look, I get that Universal isn’t giving Doom the Avengers treatment with a $200M budget and big name actors. 

I mean, that last teaser wasn’t particularly impressive at all. But if there’s one positive thing to take away from all this, it’s that at the very least, they actually tried to stick to the game’s story for once. 

If we’re going to let this movie suck, let it suck on its own merits and not because some outrage grifter told us to. 

God, I miss Post Hell. 

Good post. This information is mostly news to me but it sounds good. I thought he 2005 movie was okay, disappointing but had merits, like the practical effects, Karl Urban, and some other fun things, but not what I hoped for.

Me, I couldn’t care less about protagonist gender or whatever. The Doom Slayer is cool to play as for sure but to watch, I really don’t care, I’m more interested in the demons and hell stuff.

As for budget, yeah I don’t care tbh, I like B-movies when they’re good, and a lower budget usually means more practical effects, which I like, trailer showed some kinda crappy acting but again, I really don’t care much, Doom doesn’t work unless it’s somewhat corny. The 2005 film’s biggest problems all came from the attempts to make it more serious and realistic(ish). Let’s go stupid with it. Might be fun.

Welp, looks like that all-new teaser we’ve been waiting for is finally here:

https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/298762/exclusive-taste-doom-annihilations-action-in-this-brand-new-teaser/

Personally, while I’m still expecting a B-movie (even from this trailer which is better), at least it looks like it’ll be an entertaining watch. 

At least we get the SSG, so there’s that. 

Edited by Man of Doom

Yeah I don't mind what I'm sering there. The aesthetics and all so make it feel like the Doom 2005 movie but that was an aspect I liked anyway.

Looks a little bit better but ugh, I still can't get over those armor designs; they're generic and look more like something a SWAT team would wear. Plus, it's not doing a good job of raising expectations when it's just a sub-30 second clip that doesn't provide a whole lot.

The cross necklace that Joan Dark wears is a pretty nice touch, though.

Is the quality of the video incredibly bad for anyone else?

Its like it refuses to stream correctly half the time and the other half it looks good.

I like that the clip has more demons in it than the entirety of the 05 movie

*edit* Just realized the teaser on the website is slightly longer than that twitter teaser. I was wondering where the SSG was at

Edited by wheresthebeef

From what I've read, and seen, there seems to be the implication that "Captain Hector Savage" is supposed to be the Doomguy (being that he's the one shown with the SSG, and is the only other actor with a known stunt double, the other being Joan Dark)

More or less this teaser seems to be more well made than that proper "teaser trailer" we got a few months ago, had we gotten this then instead of now, there's a higher chance people wouldn't have bitched and moaned as much. Though considering people just want a 2 hours UV-MAX play for a movie, there's always going to be complaints.

Still sitting on the fence, though IMO this teaser seems to show that the movie won't be a complete bonfire, and should be a cheese-fest B movie, that will be enjoyable, and I get the vibes that the pre-invasion Mafham video logs (we've seen glimpses of) that those scenes will be the highlights of the movie (considering Mafham is supposed to a Shakespearean Theatre actor) 

We've still yet to see those actor interviews that have been mentioned a year back, they'll probably be special features or something though.

Edited by XLightningStormL

^ Agreed, this actually looked interesting after the... eh, rather underwhelming teasers and pictures.

Will not that impressive, this teaser video actually looks better than the old trailer.

There is a chance that this movie might turn out to be better than the 2005 movie.

52 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

Where's the SSG?

It's in the longer teaser posted on DreadCentral; it looks like it's being wielded by Captain Hector Savage, AKA Possibly the Real Doomguy.

EDIT: Just remember that it's actually kind of small in his hands, smaller than most of the assault rifles being wielded by most of the marines we've seen. It looks to be a more modern-day double-barrel shotgun rather than like a futuristic-looking weapon.

Edited by Man of Doom

On 8/9/2019 at 12:18 AM, Gokuma said:

I actually just got around to seeing the 2005 Doom a few years ago when I found it for $1 at a farmer's market.

I saw the blu ray in a £1 pound store in the UK and passed on it 

1 hour ago, Loud Silence said:

Only Milla Jonovich as Doomgirl would make me to watch this movie.

Oh god no. Those Resident Evil movies were absolutely terrible ( NOT the CGI ones). Not her fault entirely but she didn't help.

I'd rather watch the Mario Bros film than those.

14 minutes ago, Eurisko said:

Oh god no. Those Resident Evil movies were absolutely terrible ( NOT the CGI ones). Not her fault entirely but she didn't help.

I'd rather watch the Mario Bros film than those.

None of game based movies are good. But still it's possible to look through silly and funny things to find some value. Milla have demonic beauty which would fit for Doom's heroine. She did help in RE movies as much as she could, i watched them mostly because of her.

41 minutes ago, Loud Silence said:

None of game based movies are good. But still it's possible to look through silly and funny things to find some value. Milla have demonic beauty which would fit for Doom's heroine. She did help in RE movies as much as she could, i watched them mostly because of her.

Look at Uwe Boll tbh, literal proof that video games should stay playable.

8 hours ago, Loud Silence said:

The Warcraft movie is good actually, but is just for fans, that is why casual audiences turned their backs on it. Also, it should had the deleted scenes in, but whatever.

5 hours ago, wheresthebeef said:

Its at the very top of this page. It's 26 seconds long.

https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/298762/exclusive-taste-doom-annihilations-action-in-this-brand-new-teaser/

There's no Youtube version or anything yet

Is on youtube now, but it looks all pixelated.

This teaser looks better actually, but i would be surprised if the movie even reaches to be entertainning.

Didn't see this posted anywhere yet (if it has been, sorry!). This seems to have dropped day before. 

Get a better look at the imps in this one, plus what appears to be a scene in hell, possibly inspired by The Titans Realm , going by the lighting? 

I like how the designs draw a bit from the different incarnations of Doom. For example, the imp-like monsters have multiple eyes like the Doom 3 version, but have them glowing red like the classic imp. Nice nods all around everything. I am looking forward to it more and more.

46 minutes ago, Quasar said:

I like how the designs draw a bit from the different incarnations of Doom. For example, the imp-like monsters have multiple eyes like the Doom 3 version, but have them glowing red like the classic imp. Nice nods all around everything. I am looking forward to it more and more.

Another nod; I feel like his fire throw was reminiscent of the Doom 64 imps.