Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sephiroth

Mac commercials

the mac switch commercials seem to really make the common user sound incredably stupid. Ok there are alot of stupid people.
they make it sound like a mac never needs work, and drivers like in one comercial.
honestly mac makes good computers, but i still prefer the PC. and all computers need work, and drivers.
no operating system is perfect, mac may be easy to use but thats it.
parts for macs tend to be more expensive and rare to find, also models like Imac cant really be upgraded or fixed.

I laught, so does my mother cause she uses a mac, every time i see the commercials. I have run into just as many problems, if not more, on a mac. she is always complaining about software problems and the mac X OS.

other commericals that lie, a GBA comercial shows a kid playing a backlite GBA. WTF? show it how it really is, a bitch to see on some games. infact i have not really played doom2 because it is so dark.

i still find the mac commercial funny and here is a favorite qutoe from one. guy talking about a printer problem
"i opened up the PC and there where all these cards" well duh! same thing with a Mac, they use cards too

Sephiroth said:

"i opened up the PC and there where all these cards"

Here's my question. Ok, I assume this is an adult speaking in the commercial. Adults aren't as curious about "how things work" as kids. So, why the hell was he opening up his PC anyways? If he had gotten some sort of upgrade (soundcard, 3d accelerator, ect), it's a card too. He should have known when he took the dang thing out of the box.

We have a Mac here at work (G4, dual 800mHz processor). We have to constantly reboot it to keep it running fast (at least with Lightwave). I myself still prefer PCs, more precisely, a PC with Win98.

I don't like Macs. It's a matter of what you prefer. People say "it depends on what you started with," but the first computer I came in contact with was a Mac. I used to go to a school where all the computers in the computer lab were Macs. I hated using them and I still do.

I think Mac's are pretty cool. Someone gave me a beige G3 233 last year... Even with ~300MB RAM, OS X runs like a dog on it, but it's fun to use (the UI certainly beats the pants off of any X wm I've used). It's nice to know that someone besides MS is actually selling consumer operating systems nowadays.

Apple has some SERIOUS issues right now, though. They have a really cool OS that needs tons of horsepower, but Motorola doesn't give a damn about making fast systems for them (the G4 was designed for embedded stuff like routers, cars, etc). The worst part is the HORRID motherboards those things use; wtf is the point of DDR RAM if the FSB runs at 166MHz?! The IBM PPC970 sounds like a promising replacement (900MHz FSB!!), but by the time it'll be out I'm sure Intel will have brute forced the P4 up to some utterly obscene frequency.

Macs are for arteests and physical designers.

IBM-clones are for more technical stuff.

It's that simple.

maybe if apple played the game different they would have a larger part of the market. like many of u i grew up with an apple computer, apple IIe to be exact. however i prefer PC and the windows/linux combo, i can simply do more with those operating systems. not to say mac OS is bad, it has some uses, but i just dont prefer it. like i said the comercails make people sound really dumb.
I know last year we had an animation class, the teacher thought the Imacs were the single greatest thing. 2 weeks later and all but 10 Imacs were fried because the software was not made for them. also to show how stupid the school was the software loaded from the network, none of it was installed on the computers. the programs, if they ran, were so slow even the mouse pointer lagged. we then had to start useing the PC lab. funny thing was i told her to forget it and did a quake 2 and half-life map for my project

IMJack said:

IBM-clones are for more technical stuff.

It's that simple.

LIES!!!
I go to a graphic design school, and we use both g4s (800 mhz I believe, 512 RAM) and a varitey of PCs. And yes, the Macs can be much easier, and photoshop opens up in no time, but thats assuming that your only running ONE program at a goddamn time. Try to open photoshop and Flash at the same time, and it will politely remind you to stick your head up your ass right before it bombs out. And whats up with this special restart command to clear the RAM? Shouldnt restarting alone do that? I cant be bothered with hitting four keys at once, along with the power button, which are set as far apart as possible (not kidding, I need a second person to do this), just to clear the memory. My old 400 mhz, 64 RAM compaq 0wnz these hunks of junk.
I think the reason the whole artist thing came up may be because, traditionally, artistically inclined people may have trouble learning computers, and because Maya was originally only available for macs (along with some other graphics programs IIRC). But if you know even the most basic procedures (point and click), arteests should stick with PCs.

EDIT: There is one really cool thing about the G4 towers. If you have a couple sitting side by side, connected to the same power strip, and you touch the metal screw-thingies on the tops of the cases, you'll get a pretty strong shock (doesnt seem to always work, I dont know why).

Sounds like you're using OS9 on those machines:)

"Clearing the RAM" is incorrect; what you're actually doing is clearing the PROM. Mac's don't have anything as archaic as a BIOS, they use Sun's OpenBoot technology (Sun uses this in all their machines). OpenBoot lets you do all kinds of crazy things, but since OS9 is (technology wise) an utter pile of trash it hoses the PROM from time to time.

OpenBoot is one of the main reasons for Mac's legendary plug-n-play. I was shocked when I shoved an old 6GB HD (formatted in FAT32, mind you) into my Mac, turned it on, and there it was sitting on the desktop.

A lot of musicians use Macs. People who I know use them are Sascha Konietzko (KMFDM), Trent Reznor (NIN), Chris Vrenna, Chris Peterson (FLA), and Richard D James (Aphex Twin). I'm sure there are other famous examples, but those are the only ones I know off the top of my head.

//Off topic
ZarcyB! Check your email!!

This post was made in an act of despiration. I have tried to get a hold of ZarcyB for weeks. Sorry to interrupt the topic.

david_a said:

A lot of musicians use Macs. People who I know use them are Sascha Konietzko (KMFDM), Trent Reznor (NIN), Chris Vrenna, Chris Peterson (FLA), and Richard D James (Aphex Twin). I'm sure there are other famous examples, but those are the only ones I know off the top of my head.

Yeah, I think they fall under arteests. (Gotta say that with a sufficiently stuck-up and nasal tone of voice, or it doesn't work.)

I like my Win box. I like being able to trade out obsolete parts for new parts when necessary, keep up with the SOTA while still keeping the same system I've gotten to work just right for me.

Some people don't. <shrugs> I guess if you view a computer as nothing more than a tool, you want to minimize any time you spend on it that isn't related to the work at hand. Mac's are pretty good at this, from what I've seen - stuff "just works."

I have to admit though, most hardcore Mac users are the dumbest fucking people on the planet. They whine more about MS than even the most diehard L00nix script-kiddies, claim that everything Jobs does is The One True Way, and still insist that Apple's prices are entirely reasonable. The only new Apple hardware I could actually justify owning is a PowerBook, but there's no way I would pay the absurd price Apple charges for it. If someone gave me a new G4 desktop, I would sell it immediately and buy a car or two with the money.

I hate Macs, and I'm allowed to say it because I've had to work with them for a few years. Try find some decent drivers for a Mac for the fun of it, good luck.. :|

The first of the two I tried out was the mac. Ok computer I guess, but I've since become accustomed to PCs and having a PC at least means that I don't have to wait months extra for a port of some badass id game for the mac to come out.