Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NightFright

[Release] Laz Rojaz' WolfenDoom for ZDoom

During January and February 2015, I was working hard on bringing ZDoom compatibility to all of Laz Rojas' WolfenDoom packs (except for Die Fuhrer Die as it is already included in the Original Missions). Primary goal was not to add too much eye candy, but rather fix bugs and showstoppers. However, some packs have also seen some visual improvements, e.g. fog in some maps.

Included are following packs:
Astrostein Trilogy
Escape from Totenhaus
Halten Sie!
Operation Arctic Wolf (Pt.1+2)
Operation Eisenmann
Operation Rheingold (Ep.1+2)
The Portal
Treasure Hunt
WolfenDoom: Original Missions
WolfenDoom: Nocturnal Missions
WolfenDoom: Second Encounter
WolfenDoom: Spear of Destiny

As a bonus, Caleb26's Spear of Destiny packs (with fixes done by myself) are also included:
Spear Revisited v1.2
SoD: The Lost Episodes v1.11 (requires GZDoom)

----------------------------------------------
Last update: October 21, 2015

DOWNLOAD HERE:
WolfenDoom for ZDoom (41.1 MB, zipfile)
Mirror #1 (File Dropper)
Mirror #2 (Zippyshare.com)

[url='https://mega.nz/#F!NdwG2LwQ!LAXjNODn4zQXHkPB-WtEOg']Download fixes here[/url]
Updates that have been issued since May 2015
[Right-click on file(s) --> "Download" --> "Standard download"]

Instructions:
- Pack comes with 18 PK7 files. Each of them contains one WolfenDoom pack to play.
- All of them need to be used with doom2.wad.
- Use them like any other Doom II addon (drag & drop onto your (G)ZDoom executable, add any *.PK7 as PWAD in your favorite ZDoom launcher etc.).

Note:
Right now, MAP01 of the Original Missions pack crashes when you try playing it with recent ZDoom snapshots. The problem is already addressed and should be gone in ZDoom snapshots released after May 7, 2015. For the time being, either wait until then or play with zdoom-2.8pre-1424-g6326cd7 (last snapshot known to work).

What you can expect:
- Custom MIDI music for ALL packs (no Doom II music any more)
- Menu optimizations (episode selection screens --> no need to jump to certain maps any more if you start)
- Custom episode ending texts (where they didn't exist) and cast calls
- Obituary messages (when enemies kill you), pickup messages
- Difficulty settings via MAPINFO; progressive boss difficulties
- Tons of map fixes (e.g. secrets not being recognized, pushwalls not opening, texture errors)
- Sprite fixes (transparency/centering issues)
- Occasional ZDoom special effects, e.g. fog or lightning/thunder (as seen in Second Encounter)
- Widescreen statusbars
And a lot more! For details about each pack, please consult the separately included readme files.

What you cannot expect:
- Fancy stuff like GZDoom effects/lighting (except for Caleb's SoD Lost Episodes pack)
- Merging of episodes or parts (i.e. uniting Astrostein 1-3, Operation Rheingold 1+2 or the two Arctic Wolf parts)
- New levels - this just polishes what has been there already

CREDITS:
id Software (Wolfenstein 3D Original/Nocturnal Missions)
FormGen Corporation (Spear of Destiny/SoD: The Lost Episodes)
MacPlay Entertainment (Second Encounter)
Laz Rojas (WolfenDOOM)
Executor (Spear Revisited for Wolf3D)
Caleb26 (ZDoom ports for Spear Revisited/SoD: The Lost Episodes)
Enjay (assets for Spear Revisted/SoD: The Lost Episodes)
Sgt. Shivers (assets for Spear Revisted/SoD: The Lost Episodes)
CeeJay (WolfenDoom Original/Nocturnal Missions for ZDoom + assets)
AFADoomer (Wolfenstein 3D TC assets)
blox (weapon sprites)
osjclatchford (weapon sprites)
Forty-Two (MIDI music)
James "Jimmy" Paddock (MIDI music)
99Sounds.org (sounds for WolfenDoom: Second Encounter)

More credits for Spear Revisited included with original readme file

Hope you guys will have as much fun playing these classics again with ZDoom as I had when working on them!

Cool!

However I do have a question. The laser turret on the ceiling track in Astrostein only seems to be damagable via splash damage. Is that intentional?

They are damagable normally. They only have extremely thin radius, which makes them hard to autoaim and hard to hit. Precisely, their radius is 5 and height is 64. They are actually floating monsters, but spawned on the floor and never going up to the ceiling. Only the sprite appears raised up, but they are actually roughly in front of you, possibly slightly above the floor like a Cacodemon would be if you came close to him.

Awesomesauce! I've got all of Laz's stuff that I could find, but man, some of 'em were a butt to set up, and some were just plain busted. Thanks so much for this!

scifista42 said:

They are damagable normally. They only have extremely thin radius, which makes them hard to autoaim and hard to hit. Precisely, their radius is 5 and height is 64. They are actually floating monsters, but spawned on the floor and never going up to the ceiling. Only the sprite appears raised up, but they are actually roughly in front of you, possibly slightly above the floor like a Cacodemon would be if you came close to him.

I wonder if it would be worth looking into finding an alternate means to have the monster hittable and still be on the track via decorate.

I haven't tried these yet, but thanks so much! Last time I tried to play Arctic Wolf it was a complete disaster. Some things worked, some didn't, including some very important things. Will try soon.

I was also confused about the laser turrets at first and initially thought they couldn't be damaged at all. You need to get used to it, but usually you hit them with autoaiming - even though it can still be tricky.

You should attack them with a projectile based weapon. Then it's rather easy to damage them, if you aim at least roughly well.

After Executor (creator of original Spear Revisited mod for Wolf3D) approached me over at the ZDoom forums, I have reuploaded the pack with adjusted credits info.

- Global readme info (wolfendoom_readme.txt) with enhanced credits as seen in first post
- Added info to global readme (wolfendoom_readme.txt) that SoD: Lost Episodes requires GZDoom
- Original credits of Spear Revisited included (in readme\original\spear_revisited_credits.txt)

My sincere apologies for not checking properly regarding sources and mod creators!

ZDoom snapshot zdoom-2.8pre-1615-gf10416a and later include the crash fix for MAP01 of the Original Missions pack.

Ragnor said:

What, no Return to Danger or Ultimate Challenge? :p

The 'Lost Episodes' is a fan term used to refer to them.

I'm just wondering. Have you even tried playing Arctic Wolf as intended?

The idea was to save in a place where it's safe and switch out the resources but keep loading the same levels. With your setup that cannot be done, because arctlev.wad is embedded and a savegame from part 1 cannot be loaded into part 2.

Hah. I was going to express my content with the fact that this wad switching process is no longer needed, because it's the most obvious thing to fix in a version for an advanced source port.

Or so I thought.

Da Werecat said:

because it's the most obvious thing to fix in a version for an advanced source port.

Agreed. But then, you'd have to rename quite a bit of sprites and create DECORATEs.

The thing I did with Arctic Wolf was a compromise I made because I didn't know how to pull it off in a better way. Tried with giving the player all the weapons at the beginning they were supposed to have at that point in the game. More wasn't possible with my limited knowledge.

If anyone knows a better way and is able to pull it off - here's your chance.

It's doable - but it will require quite extensive changes so that the new and old things can coexist in the same mod.

Of course a Dehacked->DECORATE converter would be useful, deciphering all that by hand can become extremely tedious...

I was well aware of the efforts needed to merge the Astrostein, Rheingold and Arctic Wolf episodes. That's why I didn't do it since that would have taken me a lot longer than the whole pack. I am sure you guys understand this.

Also, I pretty explicitly mentioned in the first post that merging these episodes was not the point of this release - and unless somebody else has the time and motivation to do it, it'll never happen actually. It's obvious that my approach is not the best and won't satisfy most purists out there, but I just can't change anything about that, as much as I would want to.

In the meantime, I uploaded a minor update for the pack as some folks over at the ZDoom forums noticed the death sound for the brown guard in Treasure Hunt was quite annoying. It didn't have any sound before, so I chose the player death sound. However, it was not really fitting and since it's very long, it goes on your nerves quickly when mowing down those guards by the dozens. I have restored sounds from original Wolf3D (or rather from the the WolfenDoom Original Missions in that case). Either download the whole pack again or save time by just getting this updated version of Treasure Hunt (1.7 MB) which is exactly the same as the one in the pack.

NightFright said:

Also, I pretty explicitly mentioned in the first post that merging these episodes was not the point of this release - and unless somebody else has the time and motivation to do it, it'll never happen actually.

Sure you did, but you didn't mention Arctic Wolf, and I wouldn't call its technical quirks "dividing by episodes".

Fair enough to say. I have adjusted the info in the original post to reflect that. It should now mention that all the partial/split releases stay as they had been before, so it's hopefully clear. I am sorry if incomplete statements have led to false hopes and disappointment.

I know that Arctic Wolf is especially annoying since it's divided into two parts even though it's still one episode, but that's how Laz kinda bypassed Doom II limitations to get more actors into the game that were originally available/possible.

*EDIT May 12, 2015*
Three changes applied to the pack:
[Lost Episodes] Keys now properly replaced (were too big and showed Doom keycards while flashing)
[Lost Episodes] SBARINFO glitch fixed (statusbar keys moving 1px to the left on automap)
[Original Missions] [Nocturnal Missions] [Spear of Destiny] [Second Encounter] Mutants now drop pistol clips like in the original game

Just to let you guys know: There have been some updates to the pack in the last few days again.

[url='https://mega.nz/#F!NdwG2LwQ!LAXjNODn4zQXHkPB-WtEOg']Download fixes here[/url]
[Right-click on file(s) --> "Download" --> "Standard download"]

Changelog:
- Astrostein 3 (v1.01) --> Fixes enemy infighting
- Escape from Totenhaus (v1.01) --> Statusbar fix for ammo counter
- Operation: Arctic Wolf, Part 1+2 (v1.01) --> Fixes enemy infighting
- Operation Eisenmann (v1.01) --> Statusbar fix for ammo counter
- Operation: Rheingold, Ep.1+2 (v1.01) --> Fixes enemy infighting
- Second Encounter (v1.02) --> Addresses 2 statusbar problems
- Spear of Destiny: The Lost Episodes (v1.13) --> Addresses an issue with a solid sprite, fixes enemy infighting
- Spear Revisited (v1.21) --> Fixes enemy infighting
- The Portal (v1.12) --> Sprite fixes for enemies, sound fix for gun turret, new pistol, new chaingun sound, statusbar fix for ammo counter
- Treasure Hunt (v1.03) --> Fixes bridge not collapsing properly in MAP09, statusbar fix for ammo counter

You can expect more updates in the (hopefully near) future. Once I am finished with my revision of the EDuke32 addon compilation, I can take a look at adding more weapon replacements, boss rotations, player sprites etc.

Very cool. I worked with laz on these. I did the custom engines (such as they were) for original, nocturnal and sod. Glad someone was able to get them up to date, those old engines will be a bit of an anchor around the mod's necks.

Bashed through the first couple of maps of Original Missions. Pretty good work. The enemy movements seems closer to the original game than I remember our take being, and the new weapon sprites are good. I think our take still used the original pistol from Doom which is modeled after a Beretta 92. Not exactly historically accurate heh. Couple of random thoughts...

1. Can you change the player view height in ZDoom? Probably not. I remember thinking at the time that while the switch to 64x64 texture squares made the conversions feel more like Wolfenstein, the player feels too tall, like he's constantly ducking. Might just be me.

2. Laz used the armor pickups as a substitute for the treasure. The end result was that the treasure acting like armour which was a bit weird and so it is in your updates. I am struggling to remember what I did the original engines. I have a vague recollection of doing some dirty hacks to make the armour essentially meaningless. You could pick it up but it did not increase your armor rating. If ZDoom can control this it might be worth implementing in your versions. 

3. Can you tweak the player speed in ZDoom? This is something I wish I did in the original engines. The Doom marine is much faster than BJ, and can pretty much run circles around the Nazis. It would be good if the player speed could be pulled back, it would make for a closer match to the original game.

All in all, great job. It was fun to see these mods again. Thank you for doing this.

1) I am not sure, but I can ask over at the ZDoom forums.

2) I am quite sure this can be easily done via DECORATE. Were you able to obtain any kind of armor in the original mods at all? The thing is that the armor counter still needs to work in some way, so if armor pickups are supposed to be score items, I need to see how this was solved in other WolfenDoom mods for ZDoom. If treasure items didn't do anything in the originals and you could get armor in some way (after all, the statusbars still list armor instead of score), then it's really just about editing the code of treasure items.

3) I think that can be done in ZDoom, too. Helpful would be to know how much speed should be reduced to be more accurate.

*UPDATE 1*

Speed and height can definitely be changed. Default values are 1 for speed and 56 for height. Now I need to know what are good values. Maybe 0.75/48?

Regarding armor: If the original mods didn't have armor at all, I can remove it and/or replace it with a score system, but it will also make the game harder.

*UPDATE 2*

It seems there are just three mods which have "Items" instead of "Armor" in STBAR (Original Missions, Nocturnal Missions and Spear of Destiny). This indicates that these don't have any armor at all while there is some in the others. The question is: How were these items counted?

Edited by NightFright

Version 1.3 has been released.

Changelog:

- ACS-coded "Items" statusbar stats in: Original Missions, Nocturnal Missions, Spear of Destiny
- Player speed/height reduced in: Original Missions, Nocturnal Missions, Spear of Destiny, Halten Sie
- Treasure chests no longer give armor (where applicable)
- Some minor SBARINFO code optimizations

I hope I got it right. Any mod with a statusbar having "Armor" replaced with "Items" now has an accurate items percentage counter which works exactly like in the intermissions screen. This is probably not the way it worked initially, but makes quite a bit of sense IMHO.

I made the player slower and smaller in any mod that had low ceilings, which weren't that many. Usage of armor and health items is kinda inconsistent throughout the entire series, so I didn't change armor items everywhere - only where it seemed to be intended.