Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Starman the Blaziken

A bit on me going to play Choco-Doom with Freedoom, both phases...

I was thinking of playing Freedoom from the latest build on Chocolate Doom with both phases together just to see what issues or problems the maps have since I saw map 30 have some texture issues and still with the fact that the JoD does not say it's reversed line due to the old Doom engine overlaying it from the Assault Meat Bucket. (Yeah I figured it out, but I suggest to turn it around just so that it is not as immediate of a threat until you fire your weapons, or maybe replace it with a turned Dark Soldier)

Besides, I never really played the game in it's vanilla form just because I played it with Guncaster once and an unfinished play with Trailblazer. So I might as well do it, while also putting a dash for my review on the maps and a review on them since I am not fond of every map being that some feel a bit sprawling and non-linear. All I can say though is that it is a suggestion for little or mild map changes since I do not think it is often FD maps are reviewed as much as D4rk reviewing the music himself (I will do the same to the maps he looked at).

Oh, and one other thing I might think of doing if I at least have the spirit to do so is to see if I can get into poking with Doom Builder to contribute a map to a missing level since their are not many left at all that need to be filled in. Something to do at the least since I find Freedoom more promising to look into than when I first saw the creepy Freedoom Guy's face before the changes to him where made to the sprites a bit.

If their is one thing I really recommend and I mean, really before I review the map for kind of what it is. Change the way how map 16 ends in phase 2 since I am at least aware of the pain and death sounds the boss brain has gotten since the 0.11.3 release, it gets really noisy when the crushing platforms go down and start draining health. But when the 3 are killed, it gets quite loud.

Just the thing is, it has not been optimized with the issues it has in the Chocolate engine in compare the GZD, and I am just here to spot anything notable. So far nothing much but just enemies getting pathetically stuck from lifts which the game has a lot enemies using lifts on in compare to Doom's use of them.

Speaking of stuck, think someone should do something for a commit to delete most if not all of those tiny unused spaces in Freedoom? I see many of them not holding any enemies or some trigger lines when using IDDT or Guncaster with the Wizard's eye power up.

They may be dummy sectors used to do special effects or to control things like the level a platform lowers to. If they appear with IDDT that's fine, so long as they don't appear with IDBEHOLDA. If they do, they need to be given the "never shows on automap" flag.

Hmm... I guess I did not know about them since I played Doom a lot since they have none of those Dummy Sectors in it.
I am interested a bit, so they act like levers and pulleys for the more complicated things like sliding doors or instant leveling platforms?

Just wanted to say that it's great you're doing this by the way! It's really important that we shake out any vanilla bugs that are hiding in there. Thank you so much.

On 9/3/2019 at 10:44 AM, fraggle said:

Just wanted to say that it's great you're doing this by the way! It's really important that we shake out any vanilla bugs that are hiding in there. Thank you so much.

Eh, no problem. Though I been taking a bit of a break and all just because here I am wanting to put a Guncaster sandwich on everything if you know what I mean.