Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bratish

Total Sound Modification for "FreeDoom"

4 hours ago, luckypunk said:

You're right, my mistake.

But CC-BY-NC is used by at least one sample in the collection ( Pistol Manipulation 01.wav ), so that is still an additional problem.

NC is definitely incompatible with both the spirit and the letter of freedoom's license. It's CC-BY I'm wondering  about. We could enumerate all copyright holders in the copyright notice within the license file instead of "freedoom contributors" for example if that met the terms of CC-BY. 

The funny thing is if we'd started freedoom several years later than we did we would probably have chosen a CC licence off the bat, but they hadn't reached the kind of critical mass that they have now back in 2003. 

Dear friends!

Unfortunately, at the moment I do not have free time that I could devote to creating new sounds from samples with Creative Commons 0. And, in view of these events, I propose this option - in FreeDoom so far, you can take only these sounds:
1. Serpentipede, WITHOUT the sound of a fireball and its explosion, and without the sound of pain (if you adhere to the standard SNDINFO framework)
2. Fleshworm
3. Technospider
4. Dark Soldier, WITHOUT projectile launch sound
5. Combat Slug
6. Pine Bringer / Lord
7. Flame Bringer, WITHOUT dsflame[st]
8. Assault Tripod, including DSHOOF
9. Lagre Technospider, including DSMETAL
10. All sounds of the player (NOT WEAPONS), platforms, elevators, chat and buttons, as well as ITEMUP, GETPOW and PUNCH.

Thruly yours Bratish, The Soundman

14 hours ago, Jon said:

The funny thing is if we'd started freedoom several years later than we did we would probably have chosen a CC licence off the bat, but they hadn't reached the kind of critical mass that they have now back in 2003. 

Then what about dual-licensing project? I've noticed that you are stripping things away in order to stay compatible with vanilla release. So what about this:

• freedoom1+2.wad
    • Compatible with vanilla DOOM (max. 128 visplanes, you couldn't use SNDINFO lump one way or another; it is zDoom feature so sounds have to be downsampled and placed in respective lumps)
    • Small file size - ideal for distribution in package-management systems
    • Original license - BSD was it? No need to change anything in copyright, no need to do anything with copyright holders.
    • Possible to use in DOS (FreeDoom is used in FreeDOS project)
    • IWAD
    • Ready for distribution
  • freedoom.pk3
    • Limit removing maps, Hi-res textures, sound and maybe even music (no need to use MIDI)
    • Compatible with zDoom, Zandronum or _Idunnowichmodernderivativeportyet_
    • Bigger but reasonable file size (could use OGG Vorbis, PNG and JPEG but with higher samplerate and texture resolution)
    • CC-BY license; You said it yourself: Be it another time, it woud be used probably anyway
    • PWAD
    • Manual distribution - who is ready to use it, will do so.

It is more common than you think. Gains?

1. Broader contributor base
  2. Opportunity to do it right way. By "it" I mean CREDITS.
  3. Time to clean this copyright/licensing mess. I mean you can simply migrate things into a new package with a new license and when major work is done, bye-bye BSD license and you just could merge again anything into one IWAD with license of your liking.

It is bad idea?

Edited by AnotherGrunt

Dear AnotherGrunt, your concept of FreeDoom in .pk3 is doubtful, because FreeDoom`s idea is not to create “better game than original”, but to create free IWAD, with which playing Brutal Doom and other mods/packs, created for classic equivalent. IMHO, do not be freedoom.pk3, you better just take sounds that I pointed out and not bother with all kinds of impossible ideas that will not find application in near future. In this regard, it is better to think about creating "freebase" for the Doom 3 engine.

No, of course, you can make such your project, but it will not be IWAD, but rather the “FreeDoom SKAG Edition”, which will connect to main IWAD. That is, your idea is essentially MOD for main game, which, I am sure, will not be popular due to more famous Beautifull Doom and so on.

P.S. I forgot to write that the sounds of Trilobite from my pack also need to be taken.

Thruly yours Bratish, The Soundman

Edited by Bratish

The sound pack seems to be designed for ZDoom, though.

Is it using some SNDINFO lump to add different sounds for monsters that in original Doom share sound effects?

If so it's possible that this would give problems when integrating them in vanilla Freedoom.

1. Brutal Doom doesn't bother with any licensed material. Combine it with FreeDoom and you end up with half resources from FreeDoom and half from brutalized Doom.
  2. Your own HQ Sound Patch (as distributed) is in zDoom (pk3 with SNDINFO lump) format with HQ sounds in WAVE.
  3. Re-licensing idea is floating around anyway, why just not to point it out loudly? I've tried your TC Sound Patch and I do like it very much. As is (it needs just volume tweaks). And I do get why is someone reluctant to pour out own work in public domain just beacuse incompatible license requirements.

Very interesting, yes. But - do not forget about my line:

1 hour ago, Bratish said:

In this regard, it is better to think about creating "freebase" for the Doom 3 engine.

Please follow link, carefully read and express your opinion. It's almost like a "surprise", I know. But joining project will not prevent the Freedoom-community, on contrary, it will expand its boundaries. After all, now not only idTech 1 has a free equivalent!

18 hours ago, Bratish said:

Unfortunately, at the moment I do not have free time that I could devote to creating new sounds from samples with Creative Commons 0.

That's a real shame, but I totally understand. It would probably be a lot of work for you to recreate these from scratch and to find new sources.

Thanks for providing a list of the sounds that can be used - would you be willing to take the time to list the specific sources for each of these sounds? Then I can get them added to Freedoom as soon as possible.

16 hours ago, AnotherGrunt said:

Then what about dual-licensing project? I've noticed that you are stripping things away in order to stay compatible with vanilla release. So what about this:

Your proposal would massively expand the scope of Freedoom as a project, and it's already a big project. I'll be upfront and just say I don't think it's going to happen, and I think it's offtopic for this thread.

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!

Dear Freedoom Community! I, Bratish, as creator of Total Sound modification for your game, officially declare that project of sound mod is FREEZED, that is, from this moment I stop supporting it for an indefinite time period, at same time prohibiting taking any sound files from it. It is ALLOWED to distribute, download & launch my mod with Freedoom IWADs.

From now on, I switch to another project - the free analogue of Doom 3 called "Freedoom: Phase 3", licensed by Creative Commons 0 and BSD. More details are in topic of this project. So far, version 0.0.1 is ready, but keep in mind that I accidentally named the .pk3 archive instead of .pk4, so when you check it (as a mod for Doom 3), do not forget to change the pak000 extension.

Thruly yours Bratish, The Soundman.

22 minutes ago, Bratish said:

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!

Dear Freedoom Community! I, Bratish, as creator of Total Sound modification for your game, officially declare that project of sound mod is FREEZED, that is, from this moment I stop supporting it for an indefinite time period, at same time prohibiting taking any sound files from it. It is ALLOWED to distribute, download & launch my mod with Freedoom IWADs.

So if I understand you correctly, the sounds you have already shared and described as CC0, you are now saying Freedoom is not allowed to use at all?

2 hours ago, Bratish said:

Very interesting, yes. But - do not forget about my line:

In this regard, it is better to think about creating "freebase" for the Doom 3 engine.

Please follow link, carefully read and express your opinion. It's almost like a "surprise", I know. But joining project will not prevent the Freedoom-community, on contrary, it will expand its boundaries. After all, now not only idTech 1 has a free equivalent!

Time to lock this thread then. Personally, I'm really disappointed with this outcome because I had high hopes for this project. It's good work, they're good sound effects, I want to merge them, but we can't accept any material to Freedoom of unknown provenance -- sound effects or otherwise. I don't understand the reason for the vindictive response and at this point I'm not inclined to try, since I don't see anything productive coming out of this thread.