Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheWolfman00001

If you could buff anything in Doom, what would it be? (Discussion Post)

I'd buff pinkies speed and make them invulnerable against others monsters attacks except cyberdemons and masterminds and I'd buff barons attack, giving them that triple projectile found in mods as their standard attack while hell knight keeping the single one.

Make sure that the cyberdemon can fire variable rocket bursts and also that it can sometimes fake the player by firing in a completely random direction as if the player were invisible.

I was thinking at one point that every enemy could be given an additional attack.  This is my sparse list XD.

Priority Changes [these would imo make Doom absolutely better]:

1. Buff Bullet damage by 50% (making the Pistol and Chaingun better weapons overall).

2. Buff Chainsaw damage by 50% (that way 'Zerk does not always outshine the 'Saw).  Buff the damage from a punch by 50% too.

3. Buff the health of small enemies by 50% to negate some of the pistol buff (Zombie, Sargent, Commando, Imp & maybe the Lost Soul).

4. Buff the Shotgun with an additional 3 pellets, nearly an additional 50% damage and half a SSG's 20 pellets.

Spoiler

Stylistic Changes [these would improve the quality of life for Doom but are not essential]:

5. Redo the art for Former Human (Have the guy wearing a Service Uniform and carrying a pistol and drop a pistol).

6. Redo the art for the Imp (Give it 8? eyes and grey details to spruce up the sprite a little bit).

7. Redo the art for the Lost Soul (Give it has 4? eyes so nobody thinks its a human skull anymore and accepts its 100 health points).

8. Redo the art for the Hell Knight (give him the blind skull head from Doom 3 so he is not just a pallet swap).

Future Changes [these would compose the logical next step for Doom]:

9. Sub Keen for- the Ghost Child.  It vanishes into nothing when it 'attacks' you, but laughs when you are close and cries when you are far.

10. Sub the SS Soldier for- The Plasma Revenant.  An edited Revenant Sprite that shoots in bursts of Arachnotron Plasma.  Has an (robo) eye-patch.

11. Sub out the Wolfenstein Textures for- an expanded urban playscape with more identifiable places like hospitals and police stations.

12. Make the Arachnotron and Mastermind able to Fly (cut off their legs and give them anti-gravity coils or something).  Doctor Eggman's creations?

13. Replace Romero's head with Bergman/Shub or somebody identifiable that you can telefrag at the end while reliving the Icon of Sin.

Oh yeah, after looking at other people's lists:

14. Increase pickups to 2%.  This should be the top of every list.

15. Make the Demon always -fast and the Specter never -fast.

16. Fix the Night Goggles to plus 64.  Or make them Sunglasses and everything gets darker.

17. Make the Invisibility not have affect on Demons but only Zombies.  Demons can see you.

18. Give the Pain Elemental the ability to Bite.

19. Make the Baron of Hell always -fast and the Hell Knight never -fast.

20. Fix sprites?

Edited by Mk7_Centipede

1. Increase the Pistol firing rate.

2. Buff Former Humans to be more accurate and more agressive. Maybe even make them fire three bullets in quick succession

3. Make Pinkies faster as well as their bite animation.

4. Make Health and Armor bonuses give 2% instead of 1%.

5. Slightly increase the speed of the Imp fireball as well as make them move slightly faster.

6. Increase the Baron of Hell speed and give him a more unique attack. Maybe a semi-homing Fireball.

14 hours ago, The_SloVinator said:

There is a buff version of Doom already out there. It's called 'Brutal Doom'.

Exactly. Brutal Doom (and its derivatives) have pretty much all those things included people are asking for here.

To me, a smooth HD version of Brutal Doom in Tactical Mode and without those annoying, deep-voiced, one-liners would be perfection.

I'd buff the Pistol, make it a "tap to fire" and make it fire slightly faster so it becomes less annoying for taking out single low-tier enemies.

I'd literally only buff two things.

• Pistol. Completely unchanged, but infinite ammo. It makes no sense logistically, but this is a game where we fight space tomatoes and agitated skeletons.
  • Fist. Buff the default damage to what berzerk is now, then make the berzerked fist about 4x that.

The latter of those two makes the chainsaw more a booby-prize than it already is so I guess I'd also buff that to OHKO any enemy with less HP than the Spider Mastermind, but also it's destroyed if you use it (making it not so pointless to find multiple chainsaws across a campaign).

I suppose it would be fun, but coming stock standard with the ability to send an imp 10 yards and turn him into a pile of mush might push Doomguy too far into “flat out superhero” territory too soon in the series. It would be kinda badass though. I love the infinite ammo pistol idea, one of my oldest mapsets incorporated that and it balances out super well, the pistol still worthwhile when your CG runs out, but there’s still a reason to pick fists once you get a zerk! 

Pistol fire modes like in Half-Life 2 - Normal mode while holding button and shot-per-press of button mode. Or just increased speed like in Eviternity.

Well, I already put out a mod for it, so you can pretty easily tell what I wanted changed. The answer is quite a bit, but I'll mention something novel: quality of life for the items. Stuff like being able to pick up backpacks at full ammo and soulspheres at full health is annoying and I feel slows the game down when you're trying to avoid picking them up early by accident. Armor is also unintuitive and forces you into a similar dance when trying reeaaaaally hard not to pick up that green armor on accident because you're at 99% with blue armor. Armor and health bonuses are nigh useless and I feel are mostly there to taunt the player more than anything else.

This one is apparently more controversial, but I don't like the RNG damage. Shooters largely got rid of it after Quake and for good reason. It's not only annoying when the player gets screwed by it (hello, Revenant missiles and Berserk fists), but it's also a pain to balance for. Removing it makes everything simpler because you'll always know what something is doing when a player fires their gun or gets hit. Though small amounts of randomness, like a Hellknight doing 30-40 damage on its missile instead of 8-64, I would be fine with. Doom just takes it way too far in this aspect in my opinion.

5 hours ago, Boondorl said:

Well, I already put out a mod for it, so you can pretty easily tell what I wanted changed. The answer is quite a bit, but I'll mention something novel: quality of life for the items. Stuff like being able to pick up backpacks at full ammo and soulspheres at full health is annoying and I feel slows the game down when you're trying to avoid picking them up early by accident. Armor is also unintuitive and forces you into a similar dance when trying reeaaaaally hard not to pick up that green armor on accident because you're at 99% with blue armor. Armor and health bonuses are nigh useless and I feel are mostly there to taunt the player more than anything else.

This one is apparently more controversial, but I don't like the RNG damage. Shooters largely got rid of it after Quake and for good reason. It's not only annoying when the player gets screwed by it (hello, Revenant missiles and Berserk fists), but it's also a pain to balance for. Removing it makes everything simpler because you'll always know what something is doing when a player fires their gun or gets hit. Though small amounts of randomness, like a Hellknight doing 30-40 damage on its missile instead of 8-64, I would be fine with. Doom just takes it way too far in this aspect in my opinion.

I completely agree with everything you said, and removing RNG is something that would definitely make Doom a more skill-based, fair experience than it already is. BTW I am a really big fan of your mod, and you have inspired me to get into modding and creating gameplay modifications because of the quality of your mod and the way it changes doom's core gameplay for the better. I also hope that you add new content in the future such as extra customization options and other misc rebalances to spice things up. Keep up the good work man! <3