Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Remilia Scarlet

Now this is one fast computer.

I just seen this. Japan has a new super computer: The "Earth Simulator". It can do like 35.6 trillion operations per second.

Running 35.6 trillion calculations per second, the Earth Simulator is the fastest supercomputer in the world, almost five times faster than the next best one and as fast as the top 5 U.S. supercomputers combined.

I guess this triggered developers here in the US to catch up. So now Cray, Inc. says that they're going to release the Cray X1 in 2010. This one will run at a petaflop (1,000 trillion operations per second).

Just for kicks, I want to use this new Earth Simulator to play a game of Lemmings, or maybe Pong.

You can check it out at http://apnews.excite.com/article/20021217/D7NVBOC80.html and the top 500 list at: http://www.top500.org/

Ok, the japanese build a supercomputer in order to predict weather and natural calamities. Quite understandable given Japan's proneness to be hit by such.

The US then pour funds into a computer to do nuclear weapons simulations??? Couldn't they research medicine or something just slightly more applicaple?

Little Faith said:

The US then pour funds into a computer to do nuclear weapons simulations??? Couldn't they research medicine or something just slightly more applicaple?

This kind of research actually PREVENTS nuclear war in that it shows the devastating effects. By knowing more accurately what happens, people are much less likely to push the red button if you know what I mean. Also, supercomputers have been used for MANY different applications in the U.S., so it's not like nuclear research is the only thing being worked on. Alas, I suspect you were just using this thread as an opportunity to make known your contempt for another country.

I'm saying all this assuming you have accurate sources to provide for your statement of course...

Now if we can get back on topic and away from these "agendas":

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Running 35.6 trillion calculations per second, the Earth Simulator is the fastest supercomputer in the world, almost five times faster than the next best one and as fast as the top 5 U.S. supercomputers combined.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notice it is 5 times faster than the next best one and also equal to 5 others in the U.S. combined. In other words, the U.S. has 5 of the "next best one" if you go by the math above...

I'd like to see how Deep Fritz runs on it :P

Dude, NASA uses super computers to do all sorts of odd calculations based on data from pictures taken by satalites. Also, I've heard that they have super computers working on calculating a way to cure AIDS, since AIDS is always changing.

Disorder said:

But will it be able to run Doom III?

Pfft, just because it's hella fast doesn't mean it has a good video card.

DemonDemon said:

Isn't that a quote from a movie? War games or something weird like that. :)

Yup, Wargames - a film that involved a computer simulating war scenarios and computer hacking (as it was spelt back then).

bah its old. when they start getting into the trillions, or 10 trillion, ill probly start to become scared. how many mips can the human brain do? 15k?

kain said:

when they start getting into the trillions

Umm, perhaps you should read the top post again ;)

kain said:

bah its old. when they start getting into the trillions, or 10 trillion, ill probly start to become scared. how many mips can the human brain do? 15k?

Open your eyes; don't pull one of my tricks. :P