Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nexushellfire

Wad Editing Troubles

Question

Greetings!

I'm working in my first WAD and I tried to add some custom stuff (textures and monsters) with SLADE and when I open gzDoom Builder those assets didn't show up, so I tried to delete some things that I won't use at the moment (1st question) and when I deleted those things, I try add the monsters and textures again... and guess what, nothing shows up and the things that I deleted previously are still showing in the gzDoom Builder (stuff inside the red circles in the image attached) (2nd question)

So I have some questions:

1.- Is there any limit of the size of a WAD, or any limit on custom stuff that I can put into a WAD? (I have like 9 custom midis, 2 custom items, 1 custom weapon, 2 obstacles, 4 decoration objects, 4 fully custom monsters and 6 monsters that inherit from custom and vanilla monsters)

2.- What can I do to delete permanently those assets that I deleted before and to show the things that I've added? Is this a SLADE error or a gzDoom builder error? Should I start from zero again? (I have finished one map, the second one is at 25% progress, and I DON'T want to start a new map again :c)

Thanks in advance and please forgive my awful english.

1.png

8 answers to this question

What is the format of your WAD (vanilla, Boom, ZDoom, etc.)?

I had some trouble recently going between gzdoom builder and slade. Try saving a new copy of your WAD and closing GZDoom builder and then launch and open the new copy you saved from SLADE.

Do you have the same files open simultaneously in SLADE and DB? Because that's a source of problems.

1 minute ago, DuckReconMajor said:

What is the format of your WAD (vanilla, Boom, ZDoom, etc.)?

I had some trouble recently going between gzdoom builder and slade. Try saving a new copy of your WAD and closing GZDoom builder and then launch and open the new copy you saved from SLADE.

I think the format that I made this WAD is:

MAP 01 => GZDoom: Doom2 (Hexen) //This is how I started making my map and I changed later to UDMF because more customization.

MAP 20 => GZDoom: Doom2 (UDMF)

Both with ZDoom ACS scripting

What do you mean with saving a new copy of that WAD? Should I copy all the stuff into a blank WAD from SLADE, and then open it with GZDoom Builder?

36 minutes ago, Gez said:

Do you have the same files open simultaneously in SLADE and DB? Because that's a source of problems.

Darn, yes I did it sometimes, but if I remember good I closed my wad's tab on SLADE before opening the map with DB, but maybe I forgot to close the tab one time or another.

What should I do now?

Another thing to try, aside from what Gez said, if you are changing only map Things, try moving a vertex on  your map very slightly to trigger a node rebuild.

Sometimes stuff wouldn't save in GZDoom Builder and that seemed to help in my case.

Thanks for your help!

I figured out and now I loaded correctly my new monsters, but now I have problems loading textures, specifically the texture pack called "nmtext2.wad"

Any advice?

Thanks you again tho.

Since you are using mapping formats DiHF and UDMF, the easiest way would be

to convert the patches from DOOM format to png, of course using Slade3.

Then change PP_START to TX_START and PP_END to TX_END.

Then copy/paste everything into your pwad.

To answer your questions:

1) there is no limit to the size of a wad. The only limit that you are going to bump in when making your maps is the sidedefs/linedef/segment limit, that is a limitation of the doom engine and the map format (you can't have more than 32000 sidedefs in your map, and you can't make really large sectors, like a giant square that takes all the possible space). However keep in mind that the limits are calculated inside the single map, not inside the entire wad, so you have all the space to do quite everything.

If you want to avoid also this, you have to use UDMF map format that remove every possible limit for a map (aside of your PC hardware of course).

2) you can't really delete the standard things and assets, since they are part of the IWAD that you are using and SLADE doesn't even let you modify it (and however your players will have a copy of the IWAD with the stuff that you deleted so there is no point in doing such a thing).

What you can do is to replace vanilla stuff with custom things via dehacked or decorate.