Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dsm

A "Generations" mod idea

My weirdo mind has been brewing things together since I tried Generations Arena for Q3A and I've come up with another idea for a D3 mod.
You guessed it! Something where you can play Doom 3 single player with all the characters from id's games (except Commander Keen, unless somebody's got a great idea on how to incorporate him).

Personally, I think it could be cool to be able to play levels in the Doom 3 engine with D3 monsters, using e.g. BJ Blazcowicz's weapons (the ones in RtCW - forget about the weapons in Wolf3d) and his "special ability" to peek around corner and kill weaker monsters silently, or using the Quake 1 weapons, having the advantage of the fast rockets from Q1's RL.

I was thinking about a 30 level sp campagin, where you automatically shift character as you progress and where you play through five different types of environments - one environment for each character:

WW2 setting: William J. "BJ" Blazcowicz - first five levels
UAC base setting: Doom guy - levels 5-10
Gothic Quake world setting: Ranger - levels 10-15
Setting on Stroggos: Bitterman - levels 15-20
Arena Eternal setting: Visor - levels 20-25
Grand finale in Hell: Either of the five characters - player decides.

Each environment will of course be overrun with D3 demons.

Then I'd like to hear some thoughts on this - d'you think this could be pulled off or does it seem to be completely unrealistic? Would you like to add additional ideas or do you want to change some of my ideas completely?

What I'd rather would like to see is a DOOM 3 mod with original-looking monsters, weapons and somehow textures.

This would make an excellent 10 years Doom birthday to show the progress made since the original doom. Then again, make it before christmas next year is pretty much impossible since the game isn't even out yet...

Sounds like a very cool idea dsm. I beleive it would work.
Keen would be able to fit in as well, It would take some creative thinking. Maybe age him a few years? Maybe he ended up in hell from some thing he was making that went wrong?

LorD BaZTArD said:

Keen would be able to fit in as well, It would take some creative thinking. Maybe age him a few years? Maybe he ended up in hell from some thing he was making that went wrong?

..Or maybe your mission as BJ Blazcowicz is to save your "great grandson" :-P

LorD BaZTArD said:

I've had a similar idea, thou not in this context; a teenaged Keen battling through a reawakened Wolfenstein to save his grandfather's soul.

Honestly though, I don't really like to have Keen as a first person hero Character in this mod, simply because there never was an FPS "starring" Commander Keen, plus seeing as he only had a blaster as a weapon in the Keen games, it'd be kinda difficult to come up with more weapons.
And finally, Commander Keen is too fantastic and kiddie cartoonish a character to properly fit in with the mod's background story and believe me, I have already started thinking up a backstory that makes at least a slight bit of sense.... about as much sense as the Q3A story at least.

I'll probably post it in the fan fic forum when I've written it down.

If there will be Keen sequel,It should have been made in Cel-Shade.The environment would be in 3D but play like 2D side-scroller (If anybody have play Duke Nukem Manhattan Project,You probably get the idea)

well if anyone were to make a generations like mod for doom 3 i dought wirehead would be the ones doing it. I actually happen to be friends with a couple of the wirehead guys and they have other plans for doom 3.

Woodsman said:

well if anyone were to make a generations like mod for doom 3 i dought wirehead would be the ones doing it. I actually happen to be friends with a couple of the wirehead guys and they have other plans for doom 3.

Fair enough, but there should be nothing stopping someone else from doing it, unless the Wirehead guys consider it copyright infringement of some sort (which I have a hard time seeing if there would be, since it will be "attacking" the theme from a different angle).