Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PureSlime

Most recent movie you saw

During the weekend when visiting my parents I watched:

Van Helsing

X-Men: Days of Future Past

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

The Maze Runner and its sequel The Scorch Trials (left the third part for next time)

The logic for the maze in The Maze Runner was a little weird. Why would anyone build giant mazes with monsters and put people immune to a virus to the maze to try and find a cure for the virus. How exactly does that help in finding a cure when the test subjects are running around in a maze avoiding monsters. Sure the maze and monster design were pretty cool.

wow, I haven't seen a movie in months or year almost I think. when did that new haloween get released? watched it at the theatre.

Mulholland Drive (2001) - dreams and nightmares [typically] run[ning] amok in David Lynch's psychological thriller mystery. I loved the dream logic of this, and also the themes relating to artistic integrity and Hollywood fantasies. An art film in every sense of the word.

On 6/25/2019 at 3:57 AM, TwinBeast said:

The logic for the maze in The Maze Runner was a little weird. Why would anyone build giant mazes with monsters and put people immune to a virus to the maze to try and find a cure for the virus. How exactly does that help in finding a cure when the test subjects are running around in a maze avoiding monsters. Sure the maze and monster design were pretty cool.

The Maze Runner films are - believe it or not - only about 15% as stupid as the books on which they are based.

On 6/7/2019 at 11:43 PM, Poncho1 said:

Starting to get into avant-garde / experimental cinema, so what better to start with than Un chien andalou (1929), by Luis Bunuel and Salvador Dalí. This film is filled with great imagery (of course, there's the eye with the razor) and it's really bizarre to say the least. I suppose it's dream-logic, and the film explores human creativity or something? That's my take. In any case, it's really worth a watch. You can find it on YouTube easily.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Un_Chien_Andalou#Initial_reception_and_aftermath

The Maltese Falcon.

Had never seen it before, but it's definitely a classic for a reason. I love how Bogart's character always keeps a cool composure and the ways he confronts the antagonists. 

On 6/7/2019 at 11:43 PM, Poncho1 said:

Starting to get into avant-garde / experimental cinema, so what better to start with than Un chien andalou (1929), by Luis Bunuel and Salvador Dalí. This film is filled with great imagery (of course, there's the eye with the razor) and it's really bizarre to say the least. I suppose it's dream-logic, and the film explores human creativity or something? That's my take. In any case, it's really worth a watch. You can find it on YouTube easily.

I actually have that on DVD, but have yet to watch it. I'm a huge fan of Salvador Dali's paintings, so I should make it a point to finally watch it.

Wizards (1977)

Ralph Bakshis' attempt to make an animated film suitable for kids; whether or not he succeeded at that, he did succeed at making a trippy fantasy adventure with amazing artwork. It has some political commentary thrown into it too, but since its' a Bakshi film that's kinda expected.

Here's the full version of it on Youtube:

Went on a bit of a watching spree:

Spiderman: Far From Home (2019) - saw it at the cinema, obviously. Holland is still great, the chemistry with his friends is quite nice and the humour is, as always, there, but the villain comes across as clichéd and Spiderman creating his own suit makes him feel too much like Iron Man. Overall, watchable.

Weekend (1967) - totally batshit crazy film from Godard (the first of his films I've ever watched). A very unsubtle critique of capitalism by way of bringing up topics such as racism, war and by making his two main [bourgeois] leads irritating. It does work at a biting piece of satire, though, and Godard's obscure sense of humour works well with the material. Sidenote: this film does NOT deserve the 18 rating it got here in the UK.

Don't Torture a Duckling (1972) - finally got around to seeing this early Fulci giallo. It's a particularly scathing critique of the Catholic Church's influence, in that we have a village plagued by superstition, which only gets worse when a maniac goes around butchering young boys. The cinematography is excellent (which really shows what was to come from Fulci), the acting is good, the music is BRILLIANT, the atmosphere is thick as hell, and the subtext is, in a way, relevant even now. Recommended for horror / thriller-mystery fans.

Toy Story 4 (2019) - a much different film from the last: Woody and pals get into more misadventures when the former finds Bo Peep (that secondary character from the first two films). The humour's not quite on the level of Toy Story (1 and 2), but it mostly works, and the ending is so sweet.

Zombie Flesh Eaters 2 (aka Zombi 3) (1988) - I must've watched a cut version (not in terms of graphic content, but the whole opening experimentation sequence is missing). In any case, this was a film started by Fulci... but finished by Bruno Mattei (with a script by Claudio Fragasso), so needless to say... the end result is hilariously poor. The acting is laughable, the gore effects passable yet unremarkable, the music corny (yet fine in its own right, actually) and the pacing is nonexistent. Fun for a laughalong, but otherwise pretty bad.

The Thing (1982) - the best horror film ever made. Acting is superb, the suspense seeps into every scene, the cinematography perfectly captures the isolation the characters find themselves in, the music is creepy and forboding and the special effects are top-notch. Interesting commentary on both America's reaction to communism (the Thing ostensibly represents the cold, heartless and emotionless communist aggression) and spiritual influence in said country (you can also read the Thing as representing an almost godly entity that increasingly takes control of its victims). All-in-all, amazing.

The Proposal (2009) - watched in on-and-off, since it was really my sister watching it. From what I saw, the acting's fine I guess, but it's beyond clichéd.

Breathless (1960) - recently got around to seeing this French New Wave classic... and it sure deserves its status as one; the editing techniques work well at deconstructing cinema (Godard's intent, obviously) and the characters' idiosyncrasies would become a staple of New Wave (and, in a way, contemporary) cinema. Also, Belmondo is simply fantastic. I'll be looking to watch some more Godard films.

There you go. Reviews and some analysis for you lot.

Edited by Poncho1

Independence Day [1996] "Welcome To Earth" 

Twister [1996... R.I.P Dusty :(] There is just so much positive energy in this video, and some dramatic parts as well.  This video helps with my dizzyness from FPS games so I might have this one pretty loud if im playing DOOM..

The Thing [1982]

Jaws [All Of them I think... 1975-1983]

Terminator 2 - Judgement Day [1991]

Childs Play (Most of them from 1988-2004)

Star Wars (Most Of Them from 1977-2005)

Resident Evil (Most Of Them from from 2002-2016)

28 Days Later [2002]

Shaun Of The Dead [2004]

EVIL DEAD [Most Of Them... from 1981-1992]

Event Horizon [1997]

SCREAM [ALL OF THEM from 1996 - 2011]

ALIEN [Most of t hem from - 1979 - 2017]

GODZILLA - [All Of Them including the originals from japan] RAWR! :o)

And finally.... MORRRRTTAAAALL KOMBBAAT! [SEEN ALL... and still continue watching the first one!]

I have the TV set far away from me so i dont develop near sighted vision.

Just now... I am watching Chucky 3 (Childs Play 3)  I like the music in this one.

Edited by vanilla_d00m

Carpenter's "They Live". Amazing movie and very fun but it has its shortcomings. Under a certain angle I can see how it may feed into the 'lone wolf' mentality of an American right-wing domestic terrorist.

Rody Piper, the lead actor himself, went on Alex Jones radio show and professed his love for Infowars. What a weird world.

Nonetheless, it's obvious that this movie is very much on the left side.

Two things I didn't understand: the length of the street fighting scene and why this movie is categorized as horror. I found it more similar to a very, very dark comedy.

I'm re-watching Friday the 13th Part 3. It's even more terrible than I remember.  I'd say it was the worst in the series except that that might actually be Part 5. Or 6. Or 8. Or 10.

Road House (1989) 

I'll just quote what Roger Ebert said as it seems to fit my thoughts as well.

"Road House exists right on the edge between the 'good-bad movie' and the merely bad. I hesitate to recommend it, because so much depends on the ironic vision of the viewer. This is not a good movie. But viewed in the right frame of mind, it is not a boring one, either." - Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times

My thoughts exactly. It kept me entertained. I wasn't really ever bored and it's not a short movie either as it is close to 2 hrs (114 mins). It's been a long time since i've seen this movie but it sure was pretty funny and action packed albeit extremely cheesy but since i grew up watching these types of movies, i didn't mind re-watching it again.

I've already written about this film, but I rewatched Zombie Flesh Eaters (1979) since today is its 40th anniversary. Love live Fulci.

On 8/19/2019 at 11:29 AM, Capellan said:

I'm re-watching Friday the 13th Part 3. It's even more terrible than I remember.  I'd say it was the worst in the series except that that might actually be Part 5. Or 6. Or 8. Or 10.

Part 6 is awesome!

Devil's Passb or Dyatlov Pass incident

I only watched it because recently read about thebincident the movie based on.

It has some interisting idea to explain what happened with the skiers but otherwise it's just a generic Found footage with dumbass characters

On 8/17/2019 at 9:39 PM, gotsu said:

Carpenter's "They Live". Amazing movie and very fun but it has its shortcomings. Under a certain angle I can see how it may feed into the 'lone wolf' mentality of an American right-wing domestic terrorist.

Rody Piper, the lead actor himself, went on Alex Jones radio show and professed his love for Infowars. What a weird world.

Nonetheless, it's obvious that this movie is very much on the left side.

Two things I didn't understand: the length of the street fighting scene and why this movie is categorized as horror. I found it more similar to a very, very dark comedy.

"They Live" is pretty tame for a John Carpenter film, so you can watch it with (your) kids (IMO). It might not be scary to us adults, but to a 10 year old kid, it might be pretty spooky.

40 minutes ago, FractalBeast said:

"They Live" is pretty tame for a John Carpenter film, so you can watch it with (your) kids (IMO). It might not be scary to us adults, but to a 10 year old kid, it might be pretty spooky.

I can agree, though it'd probably be spooky mostly due to the scary alien faces?

That was my first Carpenter film (yes, shame on me) so I'm pretty stoked about the others that I plan to watch yet.

Also several movies of his that I've watched since then:

'In the mouth of madness'. Amazing stuff, simply amazing. Starting from the heavy metal cold open and up until the end this is a wild ride and a very unusual movie with many layers in it. It's that rare kind of movie where everything is great, frames, music, set designs, cast etc.

'Escape from New York'. It was nice but not super fun. Maybe I missed something?

As a sidenote I couldn't help but notice how obviously similar Solid Snake is to Snake Plissken.

On 8/18/2019 at 5:39 AM, gotsu said:

The main actor is "Rowdy" Roddy Piper.  In 1988, that's all the reason you need for that street fighting scene.

I've never seen the film categorised as "Horror", but as "Science Fiction" (which fits just fine).

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Damn, this movie was good. I hoped for so long that these movies would finally get rid of Harry's obnoxious and unfunny relatives, and it finally happened. I appreciate that they weren't even referenced, just gone. There are a lot less kooky characters in general, and the goofball humor was properly toned down. My biggest issue with this series was just how tonally inconsistent it was, and this is the first movie to finally get it right. Easily the best movie in the series so far, but it has a few flaws that hold it back from being truly great.

Lavender was really annoying and felt out of place. The movie's more appropriately dark tone made her presence all the more jarring. I thought we did away with these sorts of characters? The movie also spends a lot of time developing multiple romantic subplots at once, and none of them are interesting or really go anywhere. None of the elements are as groanworthy as they were in The Goblet of Fire, but it all felt tacked on and dull. Ginny is about as interesting as a bowl of stale oatmeal, and the romance she develops with one of the characters doesn't feel believable and it just happens out of nowhere. There's also a certain character turn that I wasn't keen on. I won't say anything specific, other than the fact that it's my favorite character in the series, and the actor/actress has gone on record to say that they disliked the way their character was handled.