Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DOOMSLAYER93

Which demon in doom is annoying to you?

5 hours ago, LadyVader1138 said:

And when combined with the Pain Elemental...

Screen Shot 2019-08-18 at 12.38.15 PM.png

That's rude and childish. At least now we know you can't handle the challenge.

11 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

Sometimes 3 rockets, sometimes 4. Depending on RNG.

Is it really RNG? I always thought it was 3 if they're facing you and 4 if they're away or to the side.

21 minutes ago, Loud Silence said:

That's rude and childish. At least now we know you can't handle the challenge.

1) Just cause you can handle the challenge doesn't mean you can't complain.
2) Not really rude.
3) Just a reference to Civvie's Pro Doom II videos

18 minutes ago, DuckReconMajor said:

Hahahahaha

Did anyone ever find out why the 20hp archvile trick works?

The archvile fire spawns some units ahead of the player to allow it to be visually in front of you. The explosion also spawns from that position. Explosions being behind walls are naturally mitigated, so being in the low wall is enough to also suppress it (Z position checks are only done on movement, so the fire spawning under the floor is possible). However even without the explosion, the vile attack still always does 20 damage to the target so you still get hit for 20 even with the explosion nullified.

I personally find the Zombieman to be the most annoying. When Hell is kind enough to invite you into it's armed forces, you need to have a little more confidence. The dude just crumbles at the slightest bit of pressure. It's kinda shameful.  

18 hours ago, Roofi said:

It's not often the monsters in themselves that annoy me, but rather combinations of them. For example, arch-viles combined with barons make it very easy to lose ammunition. Killing an arch-vile alone is rarely a problem.

An another exemple , trying to kill a cyberdemon with rockets while lost souls are attacking you.

A phalanx of Revenants protecting an Archvile is annoying, too.

Although not really demons, you cannot beat hitscanner snipers.

6 hours ago, kaosu said:

Is it really RNG? I always thought it was 3 if they're facing you and 4 if they're away or to the side.

It's completely RNG. Doom doesn't have any directional durability concept.

Lost Souls, Revenants and to a lesser extent, Arch-Viles.

I feel Doom 64 was better in balancing their Hit Points (or at least the weapon damage compensated?). I kind of feel with the advent of Pain Elementals, that a tweak to their health would have been warranted. An example of their annoyance is in E4M2 on the right path (the part that opens with Barons and Lost Souls). They're durable enough that a rocket or plasma shots will simply scatter them. Technically id include Pain Elementals since they spam them, but I feel the annoyance simply comes from dispatching the individual lost souls themselves, especially if theyve managed to scatter.

For Revenants I dont mind if they're placed strategically and not over done, but they can be over used because of their homing attacks. Theyre a bit too bulky, thin and imposing for my taste at a distance, while some maps force multiple of them within close range with little cover.

Arch-Viles arent bad at all when used considerately, but they're too easily abused for difficulty IMO. I love their design though and in theory theyre pretty cool.

3 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

It's completely RNG. Doom doesn't have any directional durability concept.

That's really interesting. I could've swore it was that. One of those really odd coincidences. Thanks for the confirmation.

I love Pain Elementals, they are cute little flying meatballs with a hilariously inept way of attacking.

When i get annoyed by a certain monster, then most of the time it is because of the way the level designer uses them. Examples that come to mind are moving Rev snipers on distant ledges, awkardly placed Cyberdemons without BFG or a telefrag option (you basically have to peek-a-boo shoot them through uncomfortable angles; mostly found in older mapsets), and Barons in close quarters (to be fair, it's an effective use of their strengths, but nonetheless infuriating; You get bonus points if you throw in one or two AVs).

I think the general consensus is that lost souls are the most annoying enemy in the game, but since pain elementals can spawn them, they're hated even more.

Pain elementals, and I'm not alone. Their attack is simplistic, they're slightly too hard to kill, they're ridiculous - flying flaming headbutting skulls - and after a Pain Elemental gets loose you end up with CAWWW CAWWW CAWWW CAWWW as they stupidly fly into each other. The forces of Hell are supposed to be terrifying and awesome, not a bunch of stupid skulls headbutting each other because they have broken AI. I refuse to believe that the armies of Earth were defeated by flaming skulls.

Also I've never really accepted the idea of chainsawing a skull. Wouldn't the blade just get stuck?

Conversely I've always loved the Revenants. Of all the monsters added in Doom II they feel the most modern - as if they came from a slightly newer game. They're mobile enough to close the distance and be a difficult rocket target at longer range, they have three different attacks, one of which is unique, they're weak enough to be used in large masses but strong enough to be a real threat at close range, they're pretty much perfect. The homing missiles mean that you can't just simply sidestep in one direction to avoid their fire, which you can with the other monsters. Most of the other monsters can only be used in a certain way, but the Revenant is general-purpose, like a super-Imp.

If we're talking about "annoying while playing the game, but I understand why they exist" the other answers are the archvile and the pain elemental. They are instant priority targets. No, tell a lie. The most annoying monsters are in those levels where there's a chaingunner in an alcove with a hidden archvile, so that the chaingunner respawns indefinitely. That's the most annoying because it triggers my OCD.

The chaingunners in nightmare difficulty.

the flame bois(archviles).

and pain elementals,shoot that floating sh=#ball before his infinite lost souls come to destroy ya!!.

On 8/20/2019 at 6:27 AM, Ashley_Pomeroy said:

Also I've never really accepted the idea of chainsawing a skull. Wouldn't the blade just get stuck?

There'd be some bone chips flying all over the joint like a frying pan full of popcorn without a lid.  Someone get on that.

Monsters that are annoying instead of challenging? Lost souls, imps, zombies. Doesn't mean they don't have a place in maps, but they're usually just fodder, unless used in big packs (but that doesn't work so well with hitscan zombies) or in traps.

On 8/20/2019 at 4:27 AM, Ashley_Pomeroy said:

Realistically, no because unlike swords, chainsaws slowly remove matter out of the way instead of pushing through them. The chainsaw wouldn't get stuck, I don't think.

However, that is irrelevant. Doom's chainsaw is made of who knows what because it:
- Never runs out of fuel
- Can hit walls and not have the teeth break
- Can theoretically cut trough Spide-demons and judging by how tall the SM is, it's sawing through solid metal legs.

- In spite of being able to saw through metal in the SM chasis, it can't cut trough walls. Some of the walls are made of stuff like rocks and WOOD. You would think that the one thing a chain saw would have 0 issues cutting would be wood but nope! Doom's chainsaw can cut through demons but not wood.

In conclusion: It's Doom. It doesn't need to make sense.

A few:

Given that I play on UV-fast, Heavy Weapon Dudes. Those guys robbed me probably of more HP in my Dooming career than all the other enemies combined. The fact that they start spraying immediately the moment they see you makes them probably the most dangerous enemy in the game, at least for me. And ambush type traps, where there is suddenly 10+ of them on you suck big time. Bonus points if they appear from several angles so you can't splash them with Rocket Launcher of BFG...

Shotgun Guys can be annoying too because every single one of them can chunk you pretty hard if they surprise you at close range. But at least they are fragile.

I also find Cyberdemon on a high ground in a cramped space to be slightly problematic. The constant splash damage from him hitting the floor racks up fast. Also possible with low ground if they are below you and the ceiling in the area is low enough for the splash to hit you. They become infinitely more dangerous than when they are on even ground.

Spider Mastermind also annoys me but for a different reason. The wild spraying combined with the mammoth hitbox size means they usually die from in-fighting before I can even get to them :/

And believe it or not, Demons/Spectres. They actually become relevant with -fast, blocking shots intended for higher priority targets, being able to occasionally bite through Chainsaw, being fast enough to dodge projectiles and requiring decent aim to land those Super Shotgun blasts fully or flanking you and shredding you at incredible speeds if you let them get too close or even worse, surround you. Packs of them regularly make me pull out the Plasma Gun to deal with them. Spectres in dark places with -fast on are on an entirely different level. I have never been more grateful for the growls that enemies occasionally make as it is the only thing I can use to determine their approximate position and then just spray&pray and hope I hit them :P

Cacodemons are also surprisingly fast with -fast. They have extremely quick animation before they fire their projectile and they can spam them faster than anything else in the game, making peeking corners against them slightly problematic.

That is all I think. All the other enemies rarely annoy me.

3 hours ago, Get Phobo said:

The most annoying demon in Doom is the RNG.

The RNG's not that bad. I mean, I've played more annoying RNG games. [glares at Pokémon series and Dr. Mario]

If they simply made it so when a Lost Soul ran into a Pain Elemental's mouth they would both explode in a red BFG blast which you were immune to, all would be forgiven!

When I first played Doom, I was using classic controls. So I had Alt for strafe, ctrl for fire and arrows to look around. Whenever I would press all three at the same time, it would put my screen in potrait mode and I would die. So throughout my playthrough of Doom 1, anything with a projectile stronger or faster than an imp, might as well just be hitscanning, because dodging without firing is surprisingly difficult.

13 hours ago, ChicagoTrash said:

When I first played Doom, I was using classic controls. So I had Alt for strafe, ctrl for fire and arrows to look around. Whenever I would press all three at the same time, it would put my screen in potrait mode and I would die.

Going off topic for a bit to ask a question. Why is that even a feature? Like what possible use could having a side-ways computer screen even have? I'm not be rhetorical here, I'm seriously curious as to why portrait mode is a feature that exists.

4 hours ago, Zulk RS said:

I'm seriously curious as to why portrait mode is a feature that exists.

Some screens can be physically rotated.