Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Is it true that the game takes up a lot of hard drive space in junk files, to deter piracy?

Or at least, back when a game this size wasn't normal, some people were saying most of the files were junk and that the game itself is only 5-10gb.

My game Doombringer is 5 GB at the moment. Anyone who say something like that don't understand how much space these High Def resources tend to take. Especially in the case of Id Tech 5 and forward where textures has been changed in how they work. 

Most likely misinformation.

Like kristus said above, uncompressed textures (and high quality textures and assets in general really) tend to take a lot of space, so there's where the file size increases dramatically, not DRM/anti-piracy bloatware.

On 8/22/2019 at 2:05 AM, seed said:

Most likely misinformation.

Like kristus said above, uncompressed textures (and high quality textures and assets in general really) tend to take a lot of space, so there's where the file size increases dramatically, not DRM/anti-piracy bloatware.

Now I think of it, it was someone talking about one of the modern Wolfenstein titles.

As a singleplayer only player, I was nonplussed when I was required to download all the multiplayer stuff that they made free.  This was when my connection was pretty awful and my HD space was limited.  The base game was 30gb and the multiplayer patch was another 30gb.

Short answer: No
Long answer: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

The game size was one of the reasons I uninstalled it in the first place. It took up so much space in my 256GB Samsung 840 Pro that I became so concerned to the point of running out of space so quickly.

It might be just me, but that is NOT normal for a game like this, IIMO.

@Edward850 Not enough o's, but no "..." needed.