Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Varis Alpha

Doom Eternal's campaign is around 18-22 hours long, Marty says

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/doom-eternal-campaign-length/

at QuakeCon, Marty was asked about the average length of DE's campaign, and says that it's in the range of 18-22 hours on a "pretty complete playthrough."

this sounds incredibly long for an FPS campaign: 2016 was around 10 hours for me to finish, finding most of the secrets on the first playthrough. it makes me wonder how the campaign is balanced and structured, whether it's just an inflated number because of all the secret hunting, or if it's that long because the levels are significantly bigger than the previous game, and takes longer to beat.

i do appreciate that a lot of thought and care is going into a singleplayer campaign in this day and age, and hopefully the campaign length won't feel like it's going to drag by the end of it.

Safe to say if you don't do any secret-hunting and blast through the levels, it's probably around 12, give or take an hour. That still seems pretty long.

But it's hard to estimate since we don't know how many levels there are, or how big/how long they take to complete.

I think they estimated that Doom 2016 is 13 hours long on average.  Therefore Doom Eternal is probably around 20 levels.

fyi for 2016 they said 13-15 hours and it took me a few hours less than that for a complete run where i'm not trying to rush through to the end. so if they're claiming 20 (avging here), 17-18 is still a really solid number. I'm happy they're doing a lot of campaign stuff this time around, it really motivates me to get the deluxe edition.

Plenty of time, if anything my only concern is it feeling draggy. End of Doom 2016 was bordering that.

Edited by Chezza

They say Eternal will be 18-22 hours, I assume this is first play through with a 100% completion.  That means other play throughs you can cut that time down to like maybe 12-15 hours, add in some speed run tricks, and stream line your gameplay for higher level completion, I think that will bring it down to a solid 10 hours.

And speedrunner champs will be able to be it in 45 min to an hour. 

Glad to see SP received so much love in this age, but I don't think it's going to be quite that long, I'd cut an hour of two, if the player chooses not to go for secrets and whatnot in the maps. The maps are definitely longer and more complex, so being noticeably longer than D2016 is a certainty though.

If 18-22 hours with all stupid events(like it was in Doom '16), it means nothing good at all.

18-22 hours for a "pretty complete" playthrough translates to 10-15 hours for a not-so-complete playthrough.

7 hours ago, qdash said:

If 18-22 hours with all stupid events(like it was in Doom '16), it means nothing good at all.

It's more than ids estimation for Doom 2016 which was perfect. Long enough to be entertaining and short enough for fast replays.

It makes me curious about the overall content of the game, like the weapon mods, upgrades, levels, puzzles, obstacles, enemy types etc.

Because i'm hoping like 90% enemies offer something new and specific and only a small portion gets to be just different number tweaks like damage, health, speed etc.

"are for or against heaven" might imply that there are mutliple paths one can take in the campaign.

It is also confirmed there there are level remixes (based on the deluxe edition) but time will tell what that actually means.

Edited by Zemini

I also wonder how we'll go to Heaven in the first place.

Because if they're following half the original idea of the Tower of Babel, i expect that to be the case.

More SP content is always good. I don't think a game can be "too long" as long as it maintains a high level of quality and remains interesting. It will make Ultra Nightmare playthroughs more difficult, assuming that difficulty comes back and without any extra lives.

11 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

I don't think a game can be "too long"

The Witcher 3. As for Doom Eternals length, none of this information matters to me really as I'll be getting it regardless, gotta see how well it plays and or replays. I personally put replay priority over campaign length.

I wonder what the game's actual file size will be.

I heard 2016 had uncompressed files and megatextures and everyone knows that the game had SP, MP and SnapMap combined into one game.

Regardless of BattleMode's quality, i hope that is at least a seperate downloadable file.

they've completely got rid of megatextures this time around @whatup876 - so imagine maybe a smaller game? I think doom 2016 on my pc is around 77 gb

4 hours ago, sleepiii said:

they've completely got rid of megatextures this time around @whatup876 - so imagine maybe a smaller game? I think doom 2016 on my pc is around 77 gb

Whoa, they got rid of megatextures?

Did I miss something?

there's so manyyy interviews I forget which one they mentioned it in. It's there somewhere. its NOT in that qcon 2019 33 min interview and its not in that qconforums interview series 1-10. those I just went through again. 

I'm going to guess and say the source of the cut megatextures info comes from a GDC Stadia video, where that short gameplay clip comes from.

The one we're introduced to Carcass.

As always, should always keep our hype in check, even if it's the new Doom game..

image.png.8fdecd9f68c5313c6df83a79f6fa7713.pngI was checking my pre-order of the Collectors Edition and I wasn't aware that it contained a "year one pass" and includes campaign DLC. Has there been any word what this may include and how long these story expansions will be? 

I think that the much BIGGER question is; does a Year One DLC imply that there will be a Year 2 DLC?

Right now the stories take place before DE from the perspective of someone else.  I speculate it will be the Doomguy.

44 minutes ago, Zemini said:

I think that the much BIGGER question is; does a Year One DLC imply that there will be a Year 2 DLC?

Good catch, I'm wondering about the same thing now. Could that mean 2 years of extra content? That would be sick.

At the same time, if that turns out to be true, then Eternal could be the last Doom game in the foreseeable future.

steam description:

Year One Pass - Access to two campaign add-ons to release within the first year of DOOM Eternal’s launch date. Featuring new perspectives and new ways to play, these standalone stories explore the cataclysmic events that led to earth’s fall against the demons.