Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brad_tilf

Lvel Testers needed.

I'm looking for a few people to test out level 2 of Descent into Hell for me. The wad is 75% done and while there is some alignment work to do I'm more looking to find out about stuff that people have trouble with. So, if you're interested, give me a holler at interleave1@earthlink.net and I'll email you what I have up to this point.
There are alot of things going on in this level and I want to make sure I didn't miss anything so far.
If you want to see some pics of the level check out the page at http://www.doomwadstation.suhost.com/descent/descent2.html
Keep in mind that at this point there are no monsters in the level (well, 1 monster)
but the testing is not to see if the difficulty levels are good yet.
Thanks,
Bob

The wad is on the way - I will send you updates when you ask for them.
The wad is going to be done fairly quickly tho so I need feedback asap.
It is compatible with all ports and vanilla doom2

Brad_tilf said:

I couldn't send to you. The email came back - said your email was full.

Go ahead now. I'm recieving a pretty heavy level of correspondence from my project group at university.

Just did a little cleanup.

There are no real errors in this level so i'll go on to the gameplay aesthetics:

While there was only three enemies present for me to kill I got the impression that this is a trapdoor claustrophobia-fest level. Still I cannot say too much of it as I do not know how the weapons items and health will be distributed. Still I have a feeling that this one is going to be frantic.

Aesthetic-wise this one clearly seems to be intended for Jdoom being generally dark with lots of strategically placed torches.

Still I think this level has some aesthetic shortcomings. The first area looks a bit dull with the monotonous use of wood textures. It doesn't get any better by the fact that the architecture is basically unadorned square walls and pillars. Some support beams, varied floor and ceiling heights and such could really have done something.

The tunnels are not a lot better being basically ashwall all the way with the only adornment being an occasional niche. While the niches with the hellish textures are neat some of them also has passable bars. A bit stupid in my opinion.

The large underground area could be made into a cool town like area with a bit of creative detailing.

But as it is now, this level suffers from underdetailedness and repetitive texturing.

Never fear - the details are filling in - slowly. I don't want to throw a bunch of stuff in, I want to make sure I put the right things in the right places. You will find as I progress that those "unadorned" areas become filled in. At the point that you're seeing this level I have only the basic outline of the level with most of the switches and stuff working but none of the aesthetics that come later. I'll send you the updated wad - so you can see how its coming along - thanks for the feedback by the way. :-)

Ya, there's still time. I'm still working on esthetics, etc... haven't even gotten to the creatures/weapons phase yet which can take several days depending on the level and the creatures.
I'll send it on over to you - still not finished but mostly finished.
I look forward to your comments.
:-)

Just remember to tag those bars "blocks player".

And please tell me that you are getting rid of those BLAKWALL textures. they look stupid together with all the wood.

I guess texture usage is a matter of what you are trying to accomplish and personal taste. I like them so therefore - they stay.

Well, I've been a little out of the loop on the latest, but I just played through your updated version.

And I must say that it looks nice and has lots of atmosphere.

The cages with various stuff in is a great unifying theme. There are still a lot of iron bars you can walk right through. Notably those hexagonal things if you use zdoom jumping. Going over them a second time would be my advice.

Another note: You use the SP_FACE texture in one of the niches. It is only a 96x128 texture and if used on a surface taller than that it produces the tuttifrutti bug. It has no adverse effect on gameplay, but it does produce a rather ugly pink and black stripe.

Sorry for the BLAKWALL comment. I'm not too fond of that texture, but as you say it is highly subjective.

I'd love to see those trapdoors filled with monsters. The first room must be really friggin' dangerous!

I am going to try a different texture other than the blakwal just to see how it looks. I may go with a different wood texture.
Ya - I think that first room is going to be a killer.
There are going to be some other changes as a result of comments from yourself and the other testers which I really appreciate.
Thanks for your time.
I'll send you more later when I'm done for the day.
I can't wait to get to putting creatures in.

I emailed all of you an update with some of the suggestions you've made incorporated. The level also now has some creatures in the beginning of the level so be ready. :-)
Of course, if you play it on the easiest level you'll only run into a couple to start which won't be a problem. Still a long way to go but getting there.