Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LadyVader1138

Classic Doom's Controls on the Switch

So, I'm considering getting Doom and Doom II on the Switch since I have been wanting the complete series on it since I bought mine. But I was wondering, what are the the controls on the system?

I have not switch, but in this video, the player goes to the control options and see the control layouts

For singleplayer, you have the option to use two joycons, the Switch pro controller, or full-on handheld mode. But the single joycon option only applies to multiplayer. I don't know why they made that controller option only for multiplayer to recognize, though. I wish they can fix that in the future. 

6 hours ago, MasterMarine said:

For singleplayer, you have the option to use two joycons, the Switch pro controller, or full-on handheld mode. But the single joycon option only applies to multiplayer. I don't know why they made that controller option only for multiplayer to recognize, though. I wish they can fix that in the future. 

Seriously? WHY? Especially as that's the ONLY reason to single Joy-Con it! Cause who the fuck wants to use shoulder buttons for strafing in 2019!

On 7/31/2019 at 9:03 AM, LadyVader1138 said:

Seriously? WHY? Especially as that's the ONLY reason to single Joy-Con it! Cause who the fuck wants to use shoulder buttons for strafing in 2019!

1. My only console experience with DooM is Playstation, so I am used to that kind of control scheme

2. I play a lot of Switch games with a single joy-con, so I am comfortable with playing like that

I will admit, they should have changed it to where the shoulder buttons are for turning

3 hours ago, MasterMarine said:

1. My only console experience with DooM is Playstation, so I am used to that kind of control scheme

2. I play a lot of Switch games with a single joy-con, so I am comfortable with playing like that

I will admit, they should have changed it to where the shoulder buttons are for turning

1. I own PS1 Final Doom as well as the GBA version of Doom. Doesn't mean I like that control scheme.
2. You DO?

Hallo, 

The Switch Pro controller and the "normal" hand-held mode with default settings works fine. Much better than the old keyboards used in the earlier days. 

Mfg

6 minutes ago, KickAss said:

Hallo, 

The Switch Pro controller and the "normal" hand-held mode with default settings works fine. Much better than the old keyboards used in the earlier days. 

Mfg

Hell, I rather play SNES Doom than use the old keyboard config. [shudders]

Bit late to the party, but I'd much rather use shoulder buttons for strafing.

But then again, I'm so used to that ancient control scheme that it feels awkward doing anything else.

That was how I experienced FPS games (including Doom) for nearly a decade, after all.

3 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

Bit late to the party, but I'd much rather use shoulder buttons for strafing.

But then again, I'm so used to that ancient control scheme that it feels awkward doing anything else.

That was how I experienced FPS games (including Doom) for nearly a decade, after all.

I've played Doom on GBA and Final Doom on PS1 and I'm so happy I'm using analog sticks on my Switch!

1 hour ago, LadyVader1138 said:

I've played Doom on GBA and Final Doom on PS1 and I'm so happy I'm using analog sticks on my Switch!

Yes... but I played 10 years of FPS before analog sticks were even a major thing, since those were only standard on the N64 (the Playstation added them later, and not tons of games used them), and analog controls in general didn't become more or less standard across a whole generation until the Dreamcast/PS2/Gamecube/XBox generation.

Doom SNES.

Doom and Final Doom Playstation.

Hexen Playstation.

Quake II Playstation

PO'ed Playstation.

South Park Playstation.

Probably a few others I'm forgetting.

You had an option, essentially. For me, there wasn't one for the most part.

Nowadays I still can't do analog FPS aiming well, but that's because right around the same time, I moved over to PC, and having a mouse is just so hard to go back with to an analog controller.

1 hour ago, Dark Pulse said:

Yes... but I played 10 years of FPS before analog sticks were even a major thing, since those were only standard on the N64 (the Playstation added them later, and not tons of games used them), and analog controls in general didn't become more or less standard across a whole generation until the Dreamcast/PS2/Gamecube/XBox generation.

Doom SNES.

Doom and Final Doom Playstation.

Hexen Playstation.

Quake II Playstation

PO'ed Playstation.

South Park Playstation.

Probably a few others I'm forgetting.

You had an option, essentially. For me, there wasn't one for the most part.

Nowadays I still can't do analog FPS aiming well, but that's because right around the same time, I moved over to PC, and having a mouse is just so hard to go back with to an analog controller.

I know and I understand. The modern twin stick layout didn't come to be until the PS1 title Alien: Resurrection in 2000. Quake II on PS1 almost did, but kept turning on the left stick and had strafing on the right.

1 minute ago, LadyVader1138 said:

I know and I understand. The modern twin stick layout didn't come to be until the PS1 title Alien: Resurrection in 2000. Quake II on PS1 almost did, but kept turning on the left stick and had strafing on the right.

Yeah. Well either way, it means I simply grew up with shoulder buttons being my strafe, and so that's generally how I map stuff if I'm playing a console FPS to this day.

(That said, I do remap some controls for Doom on PSX. Square becomes shoot, X becomes run, Strafe On is useless and moves to Triangle. Basically recreating the SNES Doom mapping, with the exception that I've got L2/R2 for weapon cycling, as opposed to the single-way X button scrolling on the SNES.)

1 minute ago, Dark Pulse said:

...with the exception that I've got L2/R2 for weapon cycling, as opposed to the single-way X button scrolling on the SNES.)

Yeah, SNES Doom REALLY needed that...and to be less shit, but that was the best the SNES could ever hope for.
NOTE: My best friend saw me play SNES Doom (her copy, actually) and she knows I wanted to strange someone with the controller)

Yeah, SNES Doom REALLY needed that...and to be less shit, but that was the best the SNES could ever hope for.
NOTE: My best friend saw me play SNES Doom (her copy, actually) and she knows I wanted to strange someone with the controller)

It's actually not a bad port, all things considered. Yes, it has some loopiness and heavy limitations, but it's technically impressive, and for some of the maps (like E3M2: Slough of Despair) it'd be the ONLY console ports those maps would get until the perfect ones of the XBox era.

Never beat it on the SNES though. I got to Pandemonium, but that's as far as I got. To be fair, I was what, 9 or 10 years old? And crippled by stuff like the lack of circlestrafing?

4 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

It's actually not a bad port, all things considered. Yes, it has some loopiness and heavy limitations, but it's technically impressive, and for some of the maps (like E3M2: Slough of Despair) it'd be the ONLY console ports those maps would get until the perfect ones of the XBox era.

Never beat it on the SNES though. I got to Pandemonium, but that's as far as I got. To be fair, I was what, 9 or 10 years old? And crippled by stuff like the lack of circlestrafing?

Oh yeah, it really is technically impressive, but that doesn't mean it is good. I would rather play the GBA version on an old school unmodded GBA with no backlight. Or my Switch with just one Joy-Con, which is still insane it's only for single player I mean what?

Oh yeah, it really is technically impressive, but that doesn't mean it is good. I would rather play the GBA version on an old school unmodded GBA with no backlight. Or my Switch with just one Joy-Con, which is still insane it's only for single player I mean what?

Well obviously it'd not be a port I'd recommend for seriously playing nowadays. It's a nice historical curio though.

For a port to actually play from that era, it's PSX, hands down (especially since you can overclock the emulated CPU on Retroarch and get rid of the framerate problem entirely).

11 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

Well obviously it'd not be a port I'd recommend for seriously playing nowadays. It's a nice historical curio though.

For a port to actually play from that era, it's PSX, hands down (especially since you can overclock the emulated CPU on Retroarch and get rid of the framerate problem entirely).

Oh yeah, like I said, I own the PS1 port of Final Doom and it is just EXCELLENT. 10/10 port.

6 hours ago, LadyVader1138 said:

Oh yeah, like I said, I own the PS1 port of Final Doom and it is just EXCELLENT. 10/10 port.

...Well, the framerate issues and huge amounts of missing levels aside (30 out of 85 isn't great numbers, after all), but that's what the GEC Playstation Doom Master Edition will fix (and I've contributed a few levels towards that myself).

Which reminds me, need to get back to work on Bloodsea Keep for it. Aside from one rather annoying (and sadly major) problem to fix, all that should be left is lighting...

8 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

...Well, the framerate issues and huge amounts of missing levels aside (30 out of 85 isn't great numbers, after all), but that's what the GEC Playstation Doom Master Edition will fix (and I've contributed a few levels towards that myself).

Which reminds me, need to get back to work on Bloodsea Keep for it. Aside from one rather annoying (and sadly major) problem to fix, all that should be left is lighting...

I mean more in general performance as I agree: 30 levels isn't a lot. But to also be fair, that's a lot less Plutonia to deal with.

59 minutes ago, LadyVader1138 said:

I mean more in general performance as I agree: 30 levels isn't a lot. But to also be fair, that's a lot less Plutonia to deal with.

Hey now, one of the levels I contributed is for Plutonia. :(

...Though it's going to be included in Beta 3, which isn't out yet. Along with my other two (and likely three) levels.

14 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Hey now, one of the levels I contributed is for Plutonia. :(

...Though it's going to be included in Beta 3, which isn't out yet. Along with my other two (and likely three) levels.

It's not your fault that the developers of Plutonia were Chaingunner obsessed psychopaths!

It's not your fault that the developers of Plutonia were Chaingunner obsessed psychopaths!

I'll make extra-sure that when the mapper team creates an original set of maps for the project that I double my chaingunners, just for you. ♥

24 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

I'll make extra-sure that when the mapper team creates an original set of maps for the project that I double my chaingunners, just for you. ♥

That's just sadistic. And not even the fun kind of sadistic!

Just now, LadyVader1138 said:

That's just sadistic. And not even the fun kind of sadistic!

Fun for me, not for you. The very definition of schadenfreude!

After all, I want to look up videos of players eating it when playing my levels. I was hoping to do that with my tweaked version of E3M8: Dis and sadly the one player who recorded a playthrough got through (albeit by the skin of his teeth).

1 minute ago, Dark Pulse said:

Fun for me, not for you. The very definition of schadenfreude!

You would get along well with my best friend. She's just as sadistic.

2 hours ago, LadyVader1138 said:

You would get along well with my best friend. She's just as sadistic.

Sister from another mother?

...Hmm, no, doesn't quite work that way.

21 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Sister from another mother?

...Hmm, no, doesn't quite work that way.

It's "Sister from another mister."
Also, if you need a gender neutral version: "Sib from another crib."

1 hour ago, LadyVader1138 said:

It's "Sister from another mister."
Also, if you need a gender neutral version: "Sib from another crib."

I feel enlightened by this. I thank you.