Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DOOMSLAYER93

Is E4 in Ultimate Doom optional?

1 minute ago, GarrettChan said:

This does make sense.

I have thought about this reason before. TBH though, M6 is still quite hard even you play continuously.

It's definitely one of the harder maps due to unavoidable damage from lava diving and strict radsuit management. Also, grabbing the BFG through the wall really trivializes the rest of e4m2. 

11 hours ago, DOOMSLAYER93 said:

i beat inferno but is thy flesh consumed optional???

Technically yes, but NO!!!! All the best Doom 1 maps are in episode 4!

20 hours ago, Linguica said:

No one will get mad if you play it or don't play it. (Well, someone probably will, but ignore them.)

Yeah, so go and play it NOW, you bastard.

Technically every episode is optional. No one is forcing you to play any of them. Feel free to load up the game and stare at the title screen and demo for all eternity if you wish.

I felt like I had to.... I'm a classic game player.

Memorizing all 1-4 eps including ep 5 sigil felt really rewarding, I did it for the nostalgic memories of me playing DOOM at my cousins house a long time ago.

I still have yet to finish DOOM II, plutonia experiment, TNT evolution, No Rest For The Living, The Master Levels.. and finally the LOST LEVELS.

I wonder how good I'm gonna feel once I beat all and memorize all maps in the last remaining DOS doom games. 

Edited by vanilla_d00m

E4 is pretty boring if you ask me.  Even the secret map is boring and it's accessible early on.  Only memorable things from that episode is the overly hard starting map and telefragginig a Cyberdemon in the next map. 

E4 isn't amazing but if I'm playing all of Ultimate Doom then I enjoy it as a palate cleanser after boring E3 puzzle maps with tiny monster counts + Dis (barely even a level). E4M1 and 2 is at least like, hey I actually have to wake up and pay attention to what I'm doing now. Like an invigorating slap in the face.

I feel like the only game that's "required" to be played in order to earnestly say you enjoy Doom or not is EP1-3. I may sound like a jackass but I don't think you can really have a worthwhile opinion on a game such as Doom (or any of the other classic shooters, for that matter) without having played them in their entirety.

But yeah, EP4 is optional in my mind considering at the time of release you either had to buy the Ultimate edition or apply a patch to your original copy to play. The casual player in '93 could've bought the game, played through 1-3 and then never touched the series again.

For years I hadn’t beaten Thy Flesh Consumed, but I maintain that I had beaten DOOM, just not Ultimate DOOM. I went back to it later and got my revenge though. You can say you beat DOOM 3 without beating Resurrection of Evil, or, say, Oblivion without The Shivering Isles. You can beat Dark Souls without doing Artorias of the Abyss.

I’d recommend giving it a shot sometime though. If you’re trying to get through the series as a whole to see it all, skip E4 and come back later when you’re done and want more. For me the mainline series is DOOM (not ultimate), DOOM 2, DOOM 64, DOOM 3, DOOM 2016. Thy Flesh Consumed, Final Doom and Resurrection of Evil are all expansions for if you want more.

Hallo,

as mentioned before if you want to complete ultimate DooM you have to beat all 4 episodes. If you want to beat DooM you have to play DooM, not ultimate Doom. After all ultimate DooM isn't DooM. There are more differences then episode 4.

MfG

It's not optional. It's mandatory. Get to playing, there will be a test later! * hint * make sure to count all the pinkies! It's part of the test.

5 hours ago, KickAss said:

There are more differences then episode 4.

The only difference outside of episode 4 is the added switch in E1M1 in the beginning areas. It's not really that big of a deal

On 8/26/2019 at 7:38 PM, GarrettChan said:

E4M2 UV Max without taking damage, easy.

I don't know why no one mentions E4M6 when they say E4M1/M2 are hard. M6 has no armor whatsoever, and without fore knowledge, the level is also really hard. I wonder people probably don't have the patience to play until E4M6, or make a better educated guess to convince me ;P

Nice flex, guy.

Play what you want though man. I personally don't really like Thy Flesh Consumed, but I feel obligated to play it.

6 minutes ago, NerdyButLazy said:

Nice flex, guy.

That's the time period I wanted to run UV Max/Reality for some reason. Compared to some other insane levels, E4M2 is really not that bad (of course I used the wall bump and jump trick). I think it takes me less than 1 hour to get this run. I wanted to try E4M6, but that damaging floor is too tough, so I gave up.

E4 feels weird in theme IMO because it's supposed to connect E3 and D2? I don't know. Even though the design is very generic for Doom 1, I personally feel E3 can offer what Sandy tried to offer in term of theme.

25 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

That's the time period I wanted to run UV Max/Reality for some reason. Compared to some other insane levels, E4M2 is really not that bad (of course I used the wall bump and jump trick). I think it takes me less than 1 hour to get this run. I wanted to try E4M6, but that damaging floor is too tough, so I gave up.

Still impressive. When did you start speed running Doom?

7 minutes ago, NerdyButLazy said:

Still impressive. When did you start speed running Doom?

I think Jun 17. It's something around the time I joined Doomworld. I originally didn't want to run for records, but later I couldn't control myself from checking DSDA. However, there are different maps where some of the them, I'm satisfied with just getting a run (eg: Community Chest Map29), and some of the shorter maps I actually will grind for a run that at least I'm fine with my own performance (eg: TNT: Revilution Map21, but it's still very improvable).

Sometimes I just do other things for a change, like these Reality runs.

I gotta say, going through the bowels of hell, Spider Mastermind as the final boss, that awesome camera pan and the "THE END" text, perfect ending.

Spider Mastermind AGAIN and then the "Daisy, your pet rabbit" gag, it's funny but it's clearly an amusing epilogue, not the ending. There's no shame in passing it. I play through it sometimes sure, and it has a few great levels in there, but if you don't get along with it, that doesn't mean you didn't get along with Doom.

There has to be something wrong if Doom 1 is difficult in 2019. Literally made for people playing FPS games for the first time.

44 minutes ago, Looper said:

There has to be something wrong if Doom 1 is difficult in 2019. Literally made for people playing FPS games for the first time.

15 hours ago, NerdyButLazy said:

Nice flex, guy.

On 9/19/2019 at 12:16 PM, Spectre01 said:

Take it as you like it, but the statement stands.... and hey, you are that zdaemon player with the jungle soldier skin. I know you could beat Doom 1 with ease, which means the ONLY reason you said it like that was to collect likes, not that you actually believe it was a flex!

On 9/19/2019 at 3:30 AM, Looper said:

There has to be something wrong if Doom 1 is difficult in 2019. Literally made for people playing FPS games for the first time

Even if Doom was your first FPS, especially nowadays, compared to newer FPS games Doom is still quite a challenge imo. The fact that it has keycards, difficulty settings and nonlinear level design makes it more difficult than 90% of FPS games out there imo (not counting the retro resurgence ones). We here at Doomworld have just played The Ultimate Doom a zillion times and gotten so used to it is all.

It's not required, I feel the first 2 missions are the most difficult then the rest are pretty meh.

Just play Doom 2, more monsters + super shotgun but E4 isn't that long. Took me around 40 minutes on first play through

17 minutes ago, NightFright said:

(Deep demonic Icon of Sin voice:) "To skip Thy Flesh Consumed means defying me, John Romero."

.sdrawkcab ti nettirw evah dluohs uoY