Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PeterMoro

John Carmack on the Joe Rogan show - it happened!

([zen3001]): Keep the politics bullcrap out of this topic please. I'm looking forward to whenever this video drops so I can watch it later.

On 8/4/2019 at 4:24 AM, ([zen3001]) said:

*Bernie Sanders appears on his podcast today*

Kay

If Joe is good enough for Maynard then he's good enough for me

If he and Carmack only talk about games, there might be some questions we haven't already heard the answers to. Should be interesting nonetheless.

welp, Joe Rogan is mainstream now I guess. No more room to complain about Carmack going on.

I love Joe’s podcast because of his wide array of guests and their wide array of positions. It’s great to listen to people like Ben Shapiro or Rave Dubin or Stefan Manure (barf) go on there and say their shit, because then I know what’s what in the world of dumb people who think they’re smart.

Then he has guests like Neil DeGrasse Tyson, David Pakman and Kyle Kulinski and the show is just a genuine treat to listen to.

On 8/5/2019 at 11:12 AM, Master O said:

Just make sure you don't accidentally let in any Cyberdemons to this planet when you come here.  Closing portals to Hell can be exhausting.  (joking)

THIS IS NO LAUGHING MATTER!

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

Neil DeGrasse Tyson

I've only watched a dozen or so of his podcasts. Neil DeGrasse Tyson was interesting and so was Steven Tyler and Leah Remini.

I'm guessing that given Rogan's history of past guests, this will at some point get into Carmack's libertarian ideology which to me is the least appealing aspect of his. That said, I'll hear Carmack ramble give his annual sermon at Oculus Connect 6 in September which I'm much more stoked for.

On 8/7/2019 at 3:38 AM, Doomkid said:

I love Joe’s podcast because of his wide array of guests and their wide array of positions. It’s great to listen to people like Ben Shapiro or Rave Dubin or Stefan Manure (barf) go on there and say their shit, because then I know what’s what in the world of dumb people who think they’re smart.

Then he has guests like Neil DeGrasse Tyson, David Pakman and Kyle Kulinski and the show is just a genuine treat to listen to.

THIS IS NO LAUGHING MATTER!

I never cared for him so far only had the opinion from that serf video I posted earlier but he really is the way you describe him, I guess he is better job than rubin report, besides I'm really interested in carmack's opinion on some subjects and surely I don't think joe is going to be talking about rocket sience.

3 hours ago, ([zen3001]) said:

I never cared for him so far only had the opinion from that serf video I posted earlier but he really is the way you describe him, I guess he is better job than rubin report, besides I'm really interested in carmack's opinion on some subjects and surely I don't think joe is going to be talking about rocket sience.

Rogan indicated he only intended to talk with Carmack about games.

EDIT: also, when someone uses the Alternate Influencer report as a big point of reference, (like the guy in that video) you should probably disregard their opinion.

Edited by Caffeine Freak

I just noticed that Joe is on episode #1332 of his podcast. I wonder if he's going to try to line things up so Carmack is on #1337, he's done that kind of thing before.

Obviously we want to get to know how programming is simmilar to jiu jitsu.

2 hours ago, ([zen3001]) said:

wonder if carmack still talks with that mmm at the end of his sentences

He definitely does, but his cadence also varies across topics (which is true for most people).

John Carmack's Twitter today: "Heading out to LA to do the @joerogan show tomorrow!".

They'll probably talk about Quake but i hope they mention Doom as well. 

4 hours ago, PeterMoro said:

John Carmack's Twitter today: "Heading out to LA to do the @joerogan show tomorrow!".

They'll probably talk about Quake but i hope they mention Doom as well. 

Oh man, hell yes!! I've really been looking forward to this. The episodes are usually posted to YouTube a few hours after they stream live, so that means we should be able to catch it tomorrow.

Only ~10 minutes in and while Rogan is clearly out of his element he is doing a good job of letting Carmack just speak and steering the conversation into new areas.

Someone bringing a jacket with sensors in it that whenever you got shot in Quake 1 the sensors would "hit" you is pretty funny.

Rogan clearly knows about Quake, name dropping Rocket Arena and Thresh nochalantly.

An hour in and there's only been a couple minutes spent talking about video games, whether its about Quake or Esports or whatever. Carmack just keeps escalating into more and more fascinating subjects on technology.

Edited by wheresthebeef

The part where Carmack explained how two people, who have had different experiencs in life, affects the way they see something as staying too much on a virtual world touched me, idk why

For everyone complaining about Joe Rogan himself and whatever shit they have to say about him, just know that he barely talks in this episode and its basically John Carmack talking for 2 1/2 hours and its all excellent.

I burst out laughing when Joe Rogan name dropped Daikatana and it being in development hell for a while. 

The first hour and a half is a lot of Carmack talking about technology and the future and the rest is more about his past like id or ferraris.

Rogan has barely talked at all lol

Hes essentially done with rockets :(

Edited by wheresthebeef

this is really great.  carmack is a freaking genius.

Carmack's thoughts on quantum were interesting.  The notion that (basically) nothing will be able to be encrypted is, to me, fantastic (discard them private company rights for them private citizen rights).  Quantum radio seems essential to space travel, too.  But yeah, cryo lab stuff is what I grew up with.  Val Kilmer in Real Genius is probably based on my father.  Popcorn and all (the birds ate all the popcorn and by morning nobody knew what happened btw).

Bezos had secret meetings with Carmack and basically just finished what Carmack designed?  WOW!  This should be a headline.  Nothing wrong with humbling the CIA when you get bored.  I heard they were trying to hire analytics people now.  50 years after Turing was executed for beating the nazis.  I mean, I guess its never too late for intelligence to be intelligent.

This what a lot of praise for Elon Musk.  I think Rogan was thinking this was going to be about video-games [he seems to press pretty hard about how video games teach people to become mass shooters, but Carmack never bites].  Instead we get a crash course on technological history since WW2.

I mean, I never knew how much Elon and Carmack respect each other's work.  BFG edition coming to Tesla?

Edited by Mk7_Centipede

On 8/8/2019 at 5:24 AM, Maximum Matt said:

I liked the David Lee Roth one.

Because I have terrible taste in music

I'm a bit late to this party, but you ain't got nobody and you're so sad and lonely.

Jump.

Might as well jump.

Go ahead and jump.

1 minute ago, Maximum Matt said:

Can't-you-see-me-standing-here-I-got-my-back-against-the-record-machine

Yeah, we're all fast breakers, comin' out of the gates, takin' chances. We're the crash and burn.

2 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Yeah, we're all fast breakers, comin' out of the gates, takin' chances. We're the crash and burn.

You know this ain't no through-street, the end is dead ahead, 

The poor folks play for keeps down here, they're the living dead

1 minute ago, Maximum Matt said:

You know this ain't no through-street, the end is dead ahead, 

The poor folks play for keeps down here, they're the living dead

See, a gun is real easy in this desperate part of town. Turns you from hunted into hunter, go and hunt somebody down.

Wait a minute, somebody said "Fair Warning!"

Lord, Lord, strike that poor boy down!