Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sephiroth

what next

with the release of doom3 i was thinkig "what of the originals" i know they will not fade away. what i really want to know is will they be included with doom3? or will Id be nice and declare the whole thing freeware, honestly if it became freeware that would rock. I dont think Id has said anything about that issue. I think it would be a good idea for newbies to doom3 to understand, and get to love, the originals. If they do include it I hope they also give you many ports to use and wads, even better if they are made by Id.

No kidding. It's still $10 or so to get Doom. =P I didn't know it still cost money to get Wolfenstein though. I doubt they'll make it freeware. Not as long as it has such a big following! =)

Yeah, Wolf3D/Doom/DoomII are all priced at around $5-10. Over here they are in the activision classic range. So Doom = Freeware = Not gonna happen buddy. It's likely that the most id will ever do is release the source codes to the older games. Which they have already done to doom and two quakes.

I think they should become freeware. I know this sounds kinda sappy, but DooM belongs to the world damnit. No one can own it. It has damn near become its own entity, and as such should be subject to human rights laws.

Barring that, I think it would be neato if Id included E1M1 in Doom 3 as some sort of hidden level/area.

Well with games Wolfenstein and Doom on their hands, I don`t blame Id at all for not making them freeware, as they know that people will still buy it. Whether its 1-2 people a day buying copies or whatever, thats still more money for the company.

Assmaster said:

I think it would be neato if Id included E1M1 in Doom 3 as some sort of hidden level/area.

You just know that SOMETHING from the original Doom is gonna make it's way in.

Maybe what they did in Return of the Tentacle (Maniac Mansion II). At some point, you find an old 8bit computer where you can play Maniac Mansion I on... Would be kool to find like a 486 in the game with DooM on it (like an interactive wall texture or something)...

But as already posted by some above, also I am pretty sure that the 'oldstyle doomers' won't be forgotten!

scorpion said:

Maybe what they did in Return of the Tentacle (Maniac Mansion II). At some point, you find an old 8bit computer where you can play Maniac Mansion I on... Would be kool to find like a 486 in the game with DooM on it (like an interactive wall texture or something)...

Dude that idea is SO old - I was still a newbie (maybe even a lurker) when I saw threads with this idea in the Doom 3 forum.

At any rate, I can't see why id should make Doom freeware. People still buy Doom dammit, it was made by id software, thousands of people never even paid for it back in the day and id worked their asses off to bring us Doom. They're pretty much in their own right to keep charging money for it as long as they have potential customers.

dsm said:

Dude that idea is SO old - I was still a newbie (maybe even a lurker) when I saw threads with this idea in the Doom 3 forum.

I promise to real all the threads one day so never to make that mistake again! ... just not today :P

scorpion said:

I promise to real all the threads one day so never to make that mistake again! ... just not today :P

Hahaha, well good luck mate :-)