Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Doom 2 but it has Half-Life sound effects

This is a level of comedy i wasn't expecting today. The beeping elevators for the slow lifts are amazing.

Anybody gonna start working on a wad for this now? I'm genuinely wanting to play Doom 2 like this.

EDIT: didn't read the entire post, i made a foolish mistake.

Really enjoying just casually using this, though it's also a nice reminder of the generality of some sfx in Doom (like the imp fireball noise).

Im actually surprised this wasn’t done back in the days where the sounds from literally everything were being added into doom. I’m in the process of making something similar in the wake of all these Half Life meme vids - thankfully its going to be in video form rather than wad form!

I bet this makes all the gaming news sites like everything @Linguica does.

I also bet that Half-Life 3 has Half-Life 1's sound effects.

It's oddly good most of the time. The best part to is that at 3:45. It's annoyingly satisfying. BTW, I should have stood next to the crushers on Map02 to embrace the annoying satisfaction but it's a shame that I didn't.

OMG the Archvile sound effect, I totally love that , works so well, ya can't help but think of the little critters from Half Life at the same time rofl.

Feel like the zombies should've had HECU sfx instead, but I guess you had to fit the scientists somewhere.

2 hours ago, Juza said:

Feel like the zombies should've had HECU sfx instead, but I guess you had to fit the scientists somewhere.

All the zombies have the same sound effects unfortunately, and killing clueless scientists is always funny. Every once in a while a wall opens and one zombie is inside and says "Greetings." and the timing always slays me. I'm considering playing Doom 64 in Doom 2 with it for an increased weird mashup experience.

But as it so happens, the scientists in Half-Life don't actually use scream14.wav* or scream21.wav for any purpose, rendering them unheard during normal gameplay. Therefore, their use in this WAD as the Doom scientist analog's DSPODTH2 and DSPODTH3 death screams, respectively, are, in fact, non-canonical to a canonical Half-Life playthrough. The scientist's death sounds are actually shared with its pain sounds, and its pain sounds are defined only to be sci_pain1.wav, sci_pain2.wav, sci_pain3.wav, sci_pain4.wav, and sci_pain5.wav. Ergo, DSPODTH1 using sci_pain3.wav is indeed accurate to the source material.

*scream14.wav is used once and only once within the game (this also includes all of the official expansions), however, as part of the scripted cave in sequence in map c2a1. Nevertheless, this scream is simply played by an ambient_generic entity and not attributed to any scientist, of which there are none in the area.

It's funny how this meme has been around for years now yet it only recently started becoming popular.

Edited by tempdecal.wad : nvm

Cool mash-up. This reinforces, imho, the strength of Half Life's sound design.

I accidentally left pitch-shifted sfx enabled when trying this out and it adds an erm, interesting dimension to this.