Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LadyVader1138

Best Vanilla Deathmatch Maps

Thinking about the other day when I played some deathmatch in Doom II with a friend, so I'm just curious: what are the best vanilla maps for deathmatch in classic Doom?

EDIT: Stop recommending Dwango and IDMAP01. Those aren't vanilla. Here's what I define as vanilla in this case:
The Ultimate Doom (including E1M10)

Doom II (including Map 33)

Master Levels for Doom II

"No Rest for the Living"
TNT: Evilution

The Plutonia Experiment

Edited by LadyVader1138

I said vanilla. As in what's actually in Ultimate Doom, Doom II, "No Rest for the Living", Master Levels for Doom II, TNT: Evilution, and The Plutonia Experiment.

I'm no expert when it come to deathmatch, but whenever threads like this pop up it's always the same couple maps getting mentioned. E1M1, sometimes E1M5, Doom 2 map 1 & map 7, & sometimes TNT map 1. From what I can gather the larger & more open the map the worse it is, so probably American McGee maps could be good as well. I've never once heard anything positive about deathmatch on the city levels of Doom 2 (12-20). The person that you should really ask about this though is @Doomkid

Jaws in Space is spot on. The Ultimate Doom version of Hangar is great for DM, the shareware version only has one linear path which makes it suckage imo. Entryway, Dead Simple and System Control are also fun. I can't think of any others that are any good, although just by virtue of being small Deimos Anomaly and Underhalls might be passable.

Doom II's MAP07 had many, many, many imitators. E2M8 in original Doom would probably be pretty popular for similar reasons.

Everyone played E1M1 and MAP01 to death, I'm sure. In fact, E1 in Doom probably got played more than all those others for obvious reasons.

8 hours ago, LadyVader1138 said:

I said vanilla. As in what's actually in Ultimate Doom, Doom II, "No Rest for the Living", Master Levels for Doom II, TNT: Evilution, and The Plutonia Experiment.

IDMAP01.WAD is in Maximum Doom, which is technically part of the Master Levels package.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Id_Map01

giphy.gif.1f505400e2b3fd6d83a405567ad65393.gif

2 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

IDMAP01.WAD is in Maximum Doom, which is technically part of the Master Levels package.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Id_Map01

giphy.gif.1f505400e2b3fd6d83a405567ad65393.gif

I don't count Maximum Doom as that was mostly a bunch of random WADs taken from the internet and has never been re-released since the original release of Master Levels.

Idmap01 is actually found in the July 1994 dump of the WIP Doom2 maps, I feel like that puts it in a special position. It was the only deathmatch-only map made during Doom2’s development. It totally should have been added in as an official multiplayer map, that would have been awesome, for some reason it was relegated to pwad status and released on it’s own instead

Obviously

Map01-Doom 2/ Entryway

Map07-Doom 2/Dead Simple

Map26-TNT: Evilution/I forgot the name, lul

Map30-Plutonia/Gateway to hell

Totally agree with the suggested Ult-Doom and Doom2 maps above..

MAP03 of Doom2 can be fun for DM sometimes too.

12 minutes ago, LadyVader1138 said:

NO.

hahaha have you tried it though?

The middle area with the Megasphere secret usually becomes the focal point and an absolute jackpot of hell. Lots of spots in there for someone to hide. It's also fun to try and fight when someone is running down the red pillars. The thin pathways which are the standout feature of the map are usually avoided in DM for good reason, though if anyone goes there the outcome is usually absoute hilarity one way or another.

Doom 2 map05 and map11. map05 was commonly played on the xbox live arcade port of doom 2 back when it was semi alive.

On 8/30/2019 at 4:35 PM, Mortrixs19 said:

Obviously

Map01-Doom 2/ Entryway

Map07-Doom 2/Dead Simple

Map26-TNT: Evilution/I forgot the name, lul

Map30-Plutonia/Gateway to hell

Doom 2 map 01 is still a great map

On 8/30/2019 at 8:01 AM, Baratus II said:

Pretty much DWANGO5 MAP01. :D

Indeed it's one of my all time favorites and runner up would be DWANGO 6 Map 01

8 hours ago, Inf3cted said:

Doom 2 map 01 is still a great map

Honestly, I do agree. The first time I ever got to play deathmatch was last month when me and my best friend hung out and I brought my Switch with me. We played Map01 and it was just a great map for deathmatch.

Side Note: We played two deathmatches: Entryway and Dead Simple. I won 5-0 both times.

2 hours ago, LadyVader1138 said:

Honestly, I do agree. The first time I ever got to play deathmatch was last month when me and my best friend hung out and I brought my Switch with me. We played Map01 and it was just a great map for deathmatch.

Side Note: We played two deathmatches: Entryway and Dead Simple. I won 5-0 both times.

I have seen back in the day some awesome duels on Doom 2 map 1 real classic rough and tumble matches and Dead Simple is great for 4 or more players. Those 5 - 0 games I take it were exciting low score games

On 8/30/2019 at 8:18 PM, Hekksy said:

Doom 2 map05 and map11. map05 was commonly played on the xbox live arcade port of doom 2 back when it was semi alive.

Hmm, don't know those maps that well

7 hours ago, Inf3cted said:

I have seen back in the day some awesome duels on Doom 2 map 1 real classic rough and tumble matches and Dead Simple is great for 4 or more players. Those 5 - 0 games I take it were exciting low score games

They were!

doom2 all maps.

seriously, they are all good, you just have to adjust the frag limit. e.g. map15 5 frags, map01 50 frags.