Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

Here's a little Heretic thing I found out:

It is entirely possible to have a nitro golem's flame skull orbit around you indefinitely without needing to move.

Lolwhat.png.997d7bd2675a50255ae6802177b862f9.png

Not really something I just found out, more of a culmination of observations - the thing where a lost soul's attack can be stopped by something on the ground (a pickup, corpse, floor decoration etc).  At first I thought it was just yet another weird thing that the creators overlooked, but slowly came to realize, what a godsend it really is.

Think about it, all those times you've been swarmed by those assholes, or been nailed from behind by one of them while your attention was elsewhere, and then realize how much worse it would be if this arbitrary behavior bug wasn't there. It'd make them quite a lot more deadly in general, I think.  

Edited by Maximum Matt

Just learned yesterday that the original Spiderdemon death noise (from v1.1 at least) does not contain the explosion at the end of it, only the sound of the metal collapsing. This was a big surprise to me because I swear it was always the same throughout all versions, but I spent very little time with versions prior to at least 1.666. I've never seen any documentation of this fact before, which is probably what led me to believe it never changed.

2 minutes ago, Bashe said:

Just learned yesterday that the original Spiderdemon death noise (from v1.1 at least) does not contain the explosion at the end of it, only the sound of the metal collapsing. This was a big surprise to me because I swear it was always the same throughout all versions, but I spent very little time with versions prior to at least 1.666. I've never seen any documentation of this fact before, which is probably what led me to believe it never changed.

It did not?

Do you know if the sound got changed in 1.2? I recently played that version but didn't notice any difference. Might want to warp to E3M8 in the future to investigate.

Can't verify 1.2, but it's definitely the case with 1.1, at least in a 1.1 wad generated from downgrading from Ultimate 1.9.

1 minute ago, Bashe said:

Can't verify 1.2, but it's definitely the case with 1.1, at least in a 1.1 wad generated from downgrading from Ultimate 1.9.

Alright then, I'll check this again in 1.2 soon to see if it's the same in this version. The notes on the Doomwiki don't indicate any changes to the actual sounds.

This was something I never noticed before! I checked my copies of Doom 1.1 and 1.2, and both have the Spiderdemon death sound without the explosion. I'm guessing this is one of those things they changed when they did Doom 2.

18 minutes ago, Jewellds said:

This was something I never noticed before! I checked my copies of Doom 1.1 and 1.2, and both have the Spiderdemon death sound without the explosion. I'm guessing this is one of those things they changed when they did Doom 2.

So it's not in 1.2 either?

Damn I really want to check it now.

Sound pitch in Eternity Engine makes everything sound better (especially crushers and plasma).

OPL3 is a beast with DMXOPL3 by @Csonicgo. It's my favorite alongside with Yamaha S-YXG50 WDM SoftSynth.

E4M2 will be fun too.

After that the rest of the episode is much easier, though E4M6 is quite hard too especially when you play it for the first time and don't know what you're supposed to do. There are damaging floors everywhere and a cyberdemon.

Spacehog by Will, map06 of Dwango7.wad dated 1/26/96 , seems to be an earlier version of Final Doom TNT:Evilution map01, the original tnt.wad being dated 6/6/96.

https://www.wad-archive.com/search?q=dwango7

This zip has dwango7.wad with its original date: http://www.doomshack.org/uploads/dwango_full.zip

EDIT: TNT map01 may just have been heavily inspired by Dwango7 map06 and remade from scratch.   You can definitely see the resemblance though.

Also dwango7.wad has seven more sets of map entries missing the map## label entry.   So I added map11 through map17 entries to check them out.  There's three additional maps though one is extremely simple, and older versions of its maps 1, 2, 5, and 9.   Some difference in 1 and 2 are apparent.

EDIT EDIT: OK it gets weirder.   TNT map01 pretty close to its final form was Dwango6 map11 so it seems inspiration was the other way around, all before it was in Final Doom.    Also a much earlier version of TNT map17 is #1dwango.wad's map06, dated 3/9/95.

Edited by Gokuma : Too Legit To Quit

On 9/2/2019 at 11:44 AM, Gokuma said:

Also a much earlier version of TNT map17 is #1dwango.wad's map06, dated 3/9/95.

'Twas quite a pleasant surprise, when I was slogging through Maximum Doom

16 hours ago, LadyVader1138 said:

My mortal nemesis, Sandy Petersen, didn't just create most of my most hated Doom/Doom II levels, HE CREATED THE ARCH-VILE

The Arch-vile is actually an awesome, versatile enemy. It forces you to adjust your priorities when it shows up. It moves quickly, revives dead monsters, has a hit-scan attack that isn't instantaneous (so you have a chance to move behind cover). It can be used for area denial as well as direct attack. I understand that like or dislike of the arch-vile is entirely personal preference, but it really is a great, versatile, innovative monster.

As for Petersen, he is credited as the sole creator for 29/68 map in Doom and Doom II. That doesn't include the 9 or 10 (I don't know if American McGee used any part of Sandy's original Dead Simple or just started from scratch) maps where he is credited as part of a team, regardless of how much or little he did for that map relative to the other person. He made about twice as many maps for the iwads as Romero, who made the second most. Just based on statistics, you're more likely to find that Petersen made maps you hate as maps you love.

And, ironically, considering how much hate Doom 2's levels get, Sandy seems to have been at least as influential as Romero within the community in terms of gameplay.

Safe to say Doom 2's maps & Sandy are criminally underrated at this point due to how much hate they get. It seems only a minority likes both here.

16 hours ago, LadyVader1138 said:

My mortal nemesis, Sandy Petersen, didn't just create most of my most hated Doom/Doom II levels, HE CREATED THE ARCH-VILE

Sandy Petersen <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

According to Doom 64 lore, the Cyberdemon was demoted in rank shortly after the events of Doom 2.

8zx5gq5.jpg

I assume this was in response to his ultimate master plan of sitting in a slowly rising pit that Doomguy walked around. What a maroon!

1 hour ago, LadyVader1138 said:

With the upcoming release of Doom 64 on the Switch, it becomes the video game system with the most classic Doom levels at 120. This beats the PS1's 89.

This is not true.

Playstation 3 Doom Classic Complete contains:

The Ultimate Doom (36 levels)

Doom II: Hell on Earth (32 levels)

The Master Levels for Doom II (21 levels)

Final Doom (64 levels)

Doom II: No Rest for the Living (9 levels)

For a total of 162. It's just missing the 32 maps from Doom 64, the two (pretty awful) levels from the Xbox ports of Doom 3, the two that originated on Jaguar and were later on PS1 and Saturn, and the 6 that originated on PS1.

32 minutes ago, famicommander said:

This is not true.

Playstation 3 Doom Classic Complete contains:

The Ultimate Doom (36 levels)

Doom II: Hell on Earth (32 levels)

The Master Levels for Doom II (21 levels)

Final Doom (64 levels)

Doom II: No Rest for the Living (9 levels)

For a total of 162. It's just missing the 32 maps from Doom 64, the two (pretty awful) levels from the Xbox ports of Doom 3, the two that originated on Jaguar and were later on PS1 and Saturn, and the 6 that originated on PS1.

I forgot that the PS3 version had Final Doom.

I recently found out that lost souls will always forget their target after attacking, meaning that they'll just go back to sleep if the player is not in their line of sight/is not noisy afterwards.

On 9/5/2019 at 10:39 AM, famicommander said:

or a total of 162. It's just missing the 32 maps from Doom 64, the two (pretty awful) levels from the Xbox ports of Doom 3, the two that originated on Jaguar and were later on PS1 and Saturn, and the 6 that originated on PS1.

Spoiler

*whispers* ….and don't forget the 3,493 Maximum Doom maps.  

1 hour ago, GamingMarine said:

lost souls will always forget their target after attacking

they clearly has no brain to remember what they're doing. ;-)

1 hour ago, famicommander said:

I don't count those.

But never forget, they were officially released by ID Software. 

Somebody's goin to hell for that

59 minutes ago, Maximum Matt said:

But never forget, they were officially released by ID Software. 

Somebody's goin to hell for that

You already went there and told us what it was like.

On 8/30/2019 at 7:32 PM, seed said:

So it's not in 1.2 either?

Damn I really want to check it now.

I was intrigued by this as well so I dug out Lee Killough's patch utility, dug out DosBox, dug out a shareware copy of Doom V1.0, and spent a good half-hour patching Ultimate Doom V1.9 down to V1.1.

And you know what? It's true. In Ultimate Doom V1.9 the spider mastermind explodes, collapses, and then there's a second explosion sound - in V1.1 it explodes, collapses, and then there's nothing. Checking out the waveform in XWE it looks as though Id dubbed on a second explosion (Doom 1.1 at the top, 1.9 at the bottom):

irCxlrG.png

LE7aYco.png