Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DSC

Favorite Metal Bands

As you all know, Doom is quite metal, indeed. So it is no surprise that many community projects have custom music made of MIDI versions of well-know metal classics... Heck, even the original Doom OST had many tracks that had a resemblance to famous metal songs! And I assume many of you also like this style, so many times misunderstood by the media and mainstream... Many subgenres are some of my favorite music styles, along with progressive rock, as you can see by my profile picture. But enough talk, share with us all your most liked bands!

Oh, and you might have noticed that I did not mention any bands that I like... That is because I am still relatively new to the scene, and while I love it, many bands that are my favorites are also some of the most popular, and I am a bit ashamed of that, so I while refrain from mentioning anything in particular, if you do not mind...

Sodom, Necrophobic, Grave, Sadistik Exekution, Abigail, Metalucifer, Nunslaughter, Dissection, Destruction, Tankard, Kreator, Death, Dismember, Carcass, Hypocrisy, Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, Mercyful Fate, Celtic Frost, Iron Maiden, Cauldron, Destroyer 666, Nifelheim, Aura Noir, Slaughter, Satyricon, Emperor, Mayhem, Hail of Bullets, Asphyx, Naglfar, Keep of Kalessin, Helloween, Sadus, Nocturnus, Revenge, Coven, Pestilence, Ghoul, Toxik, Melechesh, Infernal Majesty, Agent Steel. 

I am not as into metal as others here and my tastes in this regard are rather pedestrian, but here are a few albums I enjoy 

Danzig - self titled, an obvious pick as Danzig and the Misfits are my favorite 

Metallica - first 3 albums

Slayer - first 3 albums

Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power

If Type O Negative counts, I'd add October Rust

Cannibal Corpse - Tomb of the Mutilated (i listened to this a lot while playing The Binding of Isaac and now I picture the game when hearing it and vice versa)

Deicide - Legion (same as above, played lots of isaac while listening to this)

Here's a decent sized list of metal bands that I've been listening to recently:

Black Sabbath, Katatonia, Agalloch, Mastodon, My Dying Bride, Candlemass, Amorphis, Celtic Frost, Paradise Lost, Electric Wizard, Sunn O))), Anathema, Type O Negative, Cathedral, Isis, Swallow the Sun, High on Fire, Earth, Saint Vitus, Asphyx, Neurosis, Ahab, Crowbar, Tiamat, Evoken, Pentagram, Sleep, Baroness, Melvins, The Gathering, Corrosion of Conformity, Orphaned Land, Cult of Luna, Draconian, Esoteric, Kyuss, Reverend Bizarre, Soundgarden, Pallbearer, Solitude Aeturnus, The Ruins of Beverast, Shape of Despair, Bethlehem, Acid Bath, Mourning Beloveth, Virgin Black, Novembre, Triptykon, The Ocean, Antestor, Theatre of Tragedy, Heaven & Hell, Nortt, Empyrium.

2 hours ago, DSC said:

Oh, and you might have noticed that I did not mention any bands that I like... That is because I am still relatively new to the scene, and while I love it, many bands that are my favorites are also some of the most popular, and I am a bit ashamed of that

Don't be silly. Popular bands have reasons why they're liked so much regardless of some individuals opinion.

For example, Brutal Doom is great! Not everyone agrees.

Hell in Metal I like Nu Metal as well as the popular classics such as the popular Pantera and Metallica.

Oh it's the old Metal talk again is it. ;) I enjoy most genres of music. I grew up listening to rock and hard rock. I became a huge Deep Purple fan probably before I was 10 and listened to stuff like Styx, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and Canadian bands like B.T.O. (Bachman, Turner, Overdrive), April Wine and Trooper. The first album I bought was Deep Purple ~ Stormbringer on vinyl (still got it right here). I didn't hear anything harder until later because you either listened to the radio or whatever you bought / borrowed on vinyl. Exploring new music was a bit limited unlike today. Later on we finally got a radio station that played more stuff I never knew existed so I got to hear AC/DC, Van Halen, Scorpions, Saxon, Dio, Helix, Quiet Riot, Iron Maiden, Motorhead and Metallica, etc..  Thankfully the internet happened and I still find old stuff that I didn't know about like the 70's Prog Rock band Atomic Rooster.

My favorite band is Rush.

My favorite metal band is Iron Maiden and then it's Megadeth and somedays I'll say Megadeth before Iron Maiden. After that Dream Theater, Metallica, Armored Saint, Slayer, Judas Priest and Anthrax. Oh ya also, DragonForce, Opeth, Nightwish, Within Temptation, Sirenia, Epica, Amon Amarth and Iced Earth! Really there's too many to mention....

Favorite bands are White zombie, Slayer, Megadeth, iced earth, AC/DC, (TNT makes me dance kung fu style) Slipknot, soad, rammstein, i killed everyone, testament, (Practice what you preach is my favorite album) pantera, Marilyn Manson, fear factory, Nightwish, Mudvayne, Sepultura, Suicidal tendencies, soulfly, Static X, Opeth, Amon amarth, amorphis, metallica, avenged sevenfold, truckfighters, down, Autopsy, cannibal corpse, Iron maiden, Judas priest, machine head, Ozzy osbourne (Black sabbath), Dio, And GWAR,

Edited by RonLivingston

4 hours ago, DSC said:

Oh, and you might have noticed that I did not mention any bands that I like... That is because I am still relatively new to the scene, and while I love it, many bands that are my favorites are also some of the most popular, and I am a bit ashamed of that, so I while refrain from mentioning anything in particular, if you do not mind...

You should never feel the need to hide your taste in music, and anyone who judges you for it is an asshole. Unless you like modern commercial pop and rap in which case well I am glad someone can listen to that without having an aneurysm and I really do not judge you for it I swear honest.

I like a lot of heavier stuff but prefer symphonic and more melodic metal bands like Nightwish, Kamelot, Within Temptation, Avantasia, and Metallica. I have no idea what definition of metal Metallica actually fits and could not possibly care less about it. Frankly death and black metal sounds to me like someone threw a band complete with instruments into a giant barrel, rolled it down a hill, and recorded the result. But if that does it for you then all power to you. One man's aural ambrosia is another's power drill to the ear canal. And that is fine.

Also, Celtic metal is awesome. I defy you to listen to this and not feel like you want to charge into a battle while waving a claymore and screaming like a loony.

Edited by Murdoch

4 hours ago, Andromeda said:

Virgin Black

@Andromeda, my band at the time and I stayed at Samantha's (guitarist of Virgin Black) place when I played an interstate gig near her. One of the nicest people I've ever met! Elegant and Dying is a wonderful album. 

I used to play drums a lot and since stopping I don't listen to nearly as much metal anymore, but some of my favourite bands recently are mostly some common ones: Hate Eternal, older Augury, recent Cattle Decapitation, Convulsing (seriously, check out this fucking incredible solo project, free download of two albums here https://convulsing.bandcamp.com/), old school Cryptopsy, Death, older Decapitated, Gorguts, Krallice, Mgla, Nile, Ruins, old school Psycroptic, and Zhrine. All time favourite would have to be Opeth, lots less extreme than most of what I listen to but Akerfeldt is a legitimate musical genius. 

Opeth

Dream Theater

Liquid Tension Experiment

Pagan's Mind

Scar Symmetry

Dragonforce

Volbeat

Megadeth

Metallica

Tremonti

Many, too many to count, I'm going to list only a "few" :

Abigor, Aosoth, Aoratos, Akhlys, Antaeus, Aptorian Demon, Azazel, Beherit, Armagedda, Bestial Summoning, Benediction, Bolt Thrower, Banished, Baphomet, Grave, Grave Miasma, Desultory, Slugathor, Desecresy, Demoncy, Craft, Limbonic Art, Lord Belial, Sacramentum, Necrophobic, Dissection, Centinex, Demonical, Moonblood, Enthroned, early Enslaved, Demilich, Chthe'ilist, Crematory, Rippikoulu, Infernum, early Graveland, Nokturnal Mortum, Ungod, Samael, Celtic Frost, early Dimmu Borgir, Death, Gorguts, Gorement, Gorefest, God Macabre, Entombed, Merciless, Nekromantheon, Venenum, Vinterland, Walknut, Judas Iscariot, Zyklon-B, early Setherial, Emperor, early Sepultura, Hades (Almighty), early Horna, Hellvetic Frost, Death Fetishist, Martrod, Odraza, Lvcifyre, Cosmic Church, Aura Noir, Nifelheim, Evoken, early Tiamat, Grotesque, Death Strike, Bloodstone, Treblinka, Blood Incantation, Spectral Voice, Timeghoul, Nocturnus, Pestilence, Asphyx, Nagelfar, Nargaroth, Sabbat, early Hypocrisy, Bestia Arcana, Fides Inversa, Vlad Tepes, Immolation, Inquisition, Immortal.

3 hours ago, Roofi said:

Nightwish

Floor is, for my money, the best female vocalist on the planet. Yes there are arguably better sopranos, arguably better female rock singers etc. But she can do basically anything and do it bloody well. Her sheer versatility is unrivaled. I get chills just thinking about that final note in the in her live take of "Ghost Love Score". And then you have Marco. The dude goes toe to toe with her on stage and does not come off looking second best. Astonishing vocal ability. His solo album was great, especially Kivia. I have no idea what's going on, but I like it.

I'm not really a big fan of Metal, but I enjoy a lot some bands of the genre: Opeth, Leprous, Tesseract, Tool, Baroness, Ihsahn, and sometimes Dream Theater, Haken and Mastodon.

The only stuff I've listened to recently was Morbid Angel and Alice in Chains - I suppose that's not really metal but whatever, it's close enough. I used to listen to a lot of Pantera, Slayer, System of a Down, Metallica etc when I was younger but not as much anymore. In terms of heavier stuff, Carcass, Old Man's Child, Vesper's Descent.. A few others I'm forgetting.

I still like all of that stuff, it's all music that's moved me big time and had an impact on what I play/write of course, but my ears seem to calm down more and more over the years. My go-to stuff these days is more classic rock and less metal, a variety of bands generally from 60s to the 90s but I really don't care when it was made.

Haken, Slipknot, Haken, Lamb of God, Haken, Machine Head, Haken, Leprous, Haken, Gojira, Haken, Meshuggah, Haken, Dream Theater, Haken, Rammstein...

Did I already mention Haken?

Edited by MFG38 : Missed a Haken.

Way, way, waaaay too many to list all at once. But...depending on what you're counting as metal: 

Metallica

Godsmack

Celldweller

Blue Stahli 

Halestorm

Kamelot (Roy Khan era. New singer isn't bad, but not able to sink into their new stuff much...) 

Some Epica

Lacuna Coil

Old Flyleaf

Some Skillet

Aerosmith count? 

Guns 'N Roses

System of a Down

Papa Roach

A lot of stuff by Miracle of Sound (check him out, he even has a song for Doom 2016!)

Subway to Sally

Ramstien 

Blind Guardian

Some Static X

Some Spineshank 

A little bit of Bloodywood 

.....and many, many, many more. Those are just off the top of my head....

Doom is what got me into Metal music (as well as ATV Off-Road Fury 3) back in late 2016.

Some of my favorite Metal bands are the following:

- Slayer

- Megadeth

- Amon Amarth

- Iron Maiden

- Death Angel

- Testament

- Judas Priest

- Black Sabbath

- Motörhead

- Metallica

- Anthrax

- Dio

- Slipknot

SO KEEP ON HEADBANGING AND RIPPING AND TEARING!!! \M/

My listening habits generally lean towards the technical and brutal areas of the metal spectrum. Normally I like to pick favourites not by artist but by album, but if I had to pick a few, here you go. Regardless of my mood at the time, these are groups I'll always enjoy:

-Abnormality (Brutal Tech)

-Archspire (Tech)

-Cytotoxin (Brutal Tech)

-Fallujah* (Tech)

-Haken (Prog)

-Horrendous (Death (early), Prog-Death (later))

-Inferi (Melodic Tech)

-Kronos (Brutal)

-Persefone (Prog-Death)

-Revocation (Tech/Thrash)

-Soreption (Tech)

-Symphony X (Prog/Power)

-Unfathomable Ruination (Brutal)

*their latest is depressingly dull, but The Flesh Prevails is one of my all time favourite tech-death records so it balances out

Metal bands I've recently seen (in the last couple of years or so):

KISS*

Iron Maiden, with support from Killswitch Engage

Parkway Drive, also with support from Killswitch Engage, and Thy Art is Murder

Slayer, with support from Anthrax, Lamb of God and Obituary

Escape the Fate

Five Finger Death Punch, with support from In Flames (who rather let me down) and Of Mice and Men (don't know who they were)

Linkin Park (always been partial to some nu-metal, although only really Hybrid Theory and Meteora from them. Chester Bennington died not long after)

Bad Wolves (who were supporting Three Days Grace, a non-metal band)

*I appreciate not every song they do is (even remotely) Heavy Metal, but stuff like War Machine and God of Thunder hit the older, Black Sabbath style IMO)

Reaching back into the past, other metal bands I've seen include Steel Panther (possibly my favourites), Megadeth, Bullet For My Valentine, Asking Alexandria (when the first guy's voice was shit, unfortunately), Skindred (supporting a lot of other bands), Trivium, Machine Head, Gojira, Evile, Job for a Cowboy (who are shit), Dragonforce, Arch Enemy, Disturbed, Papa Roach, King 810 (also shit, and very proud of being from Flint, Michigan), Korn, Slipknot, Shadows Fall (also frequently supporting), August Burns Red, We Came As Romans, Still Remains... Probably some others I don't remember doing support as well. Half of those bands were supporting each other in some capacity, but if I've not said they're shit and I remember them, I liked them and probably listen to at least one album in my giant shuffle playlist. EDIT: I've stuck headliners in this list and bands that have headlined gigs I've been to up the top in bold to make them more distinguishable as the main point of interest for me)

I'd love to see Metallica live, and I've got Ozzy Osbourne and Judas Priest(!) to look forward to early next year.

I'm into a fairly wide range and respect the classics of the genre (and various subgenres), but definitely top out a bit of shy of the most extreme subgenres. Melodic Death Metal along the lines of In Flames (like, their older stuff, not whatever they're up to now), Soilwork, Mors Principium Est, Scar Symmetry, Solution .45 and Disarmonia Mundi are roughly as far as I'll go, but I'm open to new things.

Strangest metal band I like is probably Eluveitie. If you think you've got room for some Celtic in your metal (like @Murdoch), check them out!

Also, full disclosure, I nearly listed Nickelback up there in the list of recent gigs, but figured Feed the Machine is the only song they played that I (and they, for that matter) would really consider metal.

Edited by Phobus

im a Voivod, Meshuggah, Emperor, Dodheimsgard kinda person

lots of sludge and grind stuff is really amazing too, you should check Time of Death's stuff from here on the forum
a hard style to convert to midi, though :)))

I mostly like metal with clean vocals.

Classic or thrash metal bands I dig:

Black Sabbath (Ozzy or Dio)

Ozzy Osbourne

Rainbow

Dio

Metallica

Slayer

Megadeth

Saxon

Iron Maiden
Judas Priest

Deep Purple

Led Zeppelin

Modern metal bands I dig:

Within Temptation

Nightwish

Delain

Sabaton

Rhapsody of Fire

Stratovarius

Hammerfall

Evergrey

Kamelot

Tarja

Battle Beast

Lacuna Coil

Epica

Kobra and the Lotus

Lots of stuff featuring female vocalists.

A duet between Sharon den Adel of Within Temptation and Tarja Tururen, the two best metal vocalists going today in my book

I'm a big fan of Death, Bolt Thrower, Meshuggah, Celtic Frost, Portal, Electric Wizard, Sunn O))), Nile, Godflesh, Mayhem, Deathspell Omega, Ahab, Demilich and Gorguts.

If it's weird, extremely heavy, extremely fast, or psychedelic as fuck I probably enjoy it.

I thought that thread already existed in the past, but anyway: 

Classic heavy metal : Iron Maiden/Judas Priest

Extreme metal : Bathory/Sodom

Classic: Motorhead/Judas Priest/Black Sabbath/KISS/W.A.S.P.

Extreme: Carcass/Meshuggah/Slayer/Suffocation/Electric Wizard

At the Gates, The Haunted, In Flames (1994-2006), Morbid Angel, Stratovarius, Carcass, Megadeth and many more.

I forgot Faith no More, and they're like one of my favorite bands ever. Not all their stuff is metal though.

Edited by unerxai