• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Havok

What Doom books are worth getting?

34 minutes ago, xvertigox said:

Hide contents

TcQzaVy.jpg

John Romero's secret hacker pseudonym found.

Someone go load up NeXTSTEP, confirm DoomEd has a Joe Pantuso credit please?

54 minutes ago, xvertigox said:

ye boi
DCK came with the CD too

Reveal hidden contents

TcQzaVy.jpg

I'm most excited about your offer to scan the contents of the Doom Construction Kit! I'd also be interested to see the contents of the CD if you ever fancied ripping a copy of it. Mainly purely for nostalgic reasons.

Time to digitize. I'll digitize them all then dump then at once. Can I get clarification on if I can post the links here? Regardless of DW's official stance they will go on archive.org, a private ebook tracker and I'll host them on my Google Drive. That being said I would love to post them here for all you beautiful people @Linguica @Quasar

Spoiler

RXkNhz0.jpg

Cy4lIuf.jpg

Update - I've been contacting various organizations to see who has a book scanning rig and it's been pretty fruitless so far. I've contacted everyone from Auckland Museum to the national Libraries and am waiting on a reply from one of the Heritage orgs.

It looks like I'll need to build my own rig. I'm going to start getting the materials next week so will hopefully have something to give you all in the next few weeks.

3 hours ago, xvertigox said:

Update - I've been contacting various organizations to see who has a book scanning rig and it's been pretty fruitless so far. I've contacted everyone from Auckland Museum to the national Libraries and am waiting on a reply from one of the Heritage orgs.

It looks like I'll need to build my own rig. I'm going to start getting the materials next week so will hopefully have something to give you all in the next few weeks.

Wow, didn't know book scanning was so complex... but I guess the idea is to not unbind the book and scan individual pages anymore.

Pretty cool man. I've never looked into scanning books. I'm pretty sure that the few guides that i own have circulating scans online already anyways.

Hi! Sorry to bump, but I'm asking myself if the idea of archiving those book is going forward :)

Thank you :D

Alby

On 12/9/2017 at 7:58 AM, Havok said:

I downloaded the "3D Game Alchemy" CD from Archive.org but the ebook on the CD is only 56 pages long. The physical book is 750 pages long.

The PDFs on the  CD are actually cut chapters from the book (on ACS, etc.) that were never printed.

I have copy of the physical book that I intend to have scanned one day. I have to cut the spine off first to make it feasible. I used to know a guy who worked in a paper factory and had the equipment to do this neatly, I keep meaning to try and get in touch.

In terms of books worth buying, I'd grab this one, which didn't exist when OP first asked:

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Game_Engine_Black_Book:_Doom