Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
valkiriforce

Akeldama - Now on Idgames!

@pcorf Played MAP29 on all three difficulties:

-Thing 338 (megasphere) only appears on normal and hard difficulties, but there are no powerups on easy which leaves it as an empty secret.
-I would have one of the two cyberdemons not appear on the easy difficulties (I'm too young to die / Hey not too rough)
-Kind of wished I had more bullet ammo early on. Lots of hitscan enemies and projectiles flying in the outdoor area.

Came across this HOM when leaving a secret area:
LVopYbO.png

Overall I had a lot of fun with this map and it managed nicely in vanilla apart from the above screen. As I mentioned I did wish I had some more bullets early on since there are lots of enemies sniping you out in the open, and the pain elemental that gets released could end up crowding the scene even more and diminishing ammo supplies, so I would add some more boxes of bullets. Sorry it took me this long to get around to playtesting this map but I was going down the line from early maps to later ones.

And with that I've playtested all the available maps so far - only waiting on @Breezeep's MAP26 and I just got gaspe's contribution to MAP31 recently, so there's only a couple of areas left to make. I'm likely to try and wrap up what's left of it so we can get that much closer to a finished megawad.

10 hours ago, valkiriforce said:

@pcorf Played MAP29 on all three difficulties:

-Thing 338 (megasphere) only appears on normal and hard difficulties, but there are no powerups on easy which leaves it as an empty secret.
-I would have one of the two cyberdemons not appear on the easy difficulties (I'm too young to die / Hey not too rough)
-Kind of wished I had more bullet ammo early on. Lots of hitscan enemies and projectiles flying in the outdoor area.

Came across this HOM when leaving a secret area:
LVopYbO.png

Overall I had a lot of fun with this map and it managed nicely in vanilla apart from the above screen. As I mentioned I did wish I had some more bullets early on since there are lots of enemies sniping you out in the open, and the pain elemental that gets released could end up crowding the scene even more and diminishing ammo supplies, so I would add some more boxes of bullets. Sorry it took me this long to get around to playtesting this map but I was going down the line from early maps to later ones.

And with that I've playtested all the available maps so far - only waiting on @Breezeep's MAP26 and I just got gaspe's contribution to MAP31 recently, so there's only a couple of areas left to make. I'm likely to try and wrap up what's left of it so we can get that much closer to a finished megawad.

Trying to remove detail. Best I can do is get it down to 242. I think it is all good now. But I had to remove as much detail as I could.

Also fixed the Megasphere, accidentally forgot to set it to all skills because I added it after I added monsters. When added teleport destinations and keys I make sure they are all skill levels. Some extra ammo clips have also been added but not too many and a box of ammo was added to the secret coffin room. Also feel free to relocate this map to an earlier slot if previous maps are harder.

DOWNLOAD THE MAP HERE (unzipped)

MAP29_242_segs.png

Edited by pcorf

Finally got MAP31 finished recently - there's a lot going on and it's kind of hard keeping track of all the adjustments, but I figured I can post it here and see what people think of it so far: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lbwaa59iz7udyc6/ak31.wad?dl=0

I've also updated the resource so be sure to grab that before testing.

Couple screens of the last two areas I created today

3sfKZd7.png

tSoOEQc.png

Edited by valkiriforce

@valkiriforce Ran through the completed map31. I very much like all the added sections and I think it works well. I don't have many points but the two biggest ones:

• The Blue Switch arena (not key) needs more ammo, Other than the initial sampling I ran out once I reached the cyber (went blue first). Possibly some cell packs and rockets (Sector 789).
  • Ran out of ammo in the final area for the spider mastermind, adding some cells, rockets, and/or shell here would also help (Sector 147). Every other area I had varying ammo pools but enough to work with.
  • No major gameplay or visual issues, other than the BFG secret in the red key area having visible skybox overlap/split (sector 656)

m31_1.PNG.a0e850a6fbc59120716e0e2528a4c097.PNG

3 hours ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

No major gameplay or visual issues, other than the BFG secret in the red key area having visible skybox overlap/split (sector 656)

That was intended :P

Yeah, I did mean to include some more ammo after the cyber encounter, but I've also included some additional ammo leading up to the encounter as well as the last mastermind. Might look over the map some more before I post an updated version.

Can't wait until this is finished, project is going great guys
I still accept any kind of feedback on MAP24 while E3 is still wrapping up.
Keep it up!

@waverider @Philnemba @dt_ @DerFurer'sFace @Gothic @DJVCardMaster @The Mysterious Moustachio @complexDoomer @Juza @gaspe @antares031 @wolfmcbeard @Khorus @Pegleg @Paul977 @joepallai @Breezeep @Doomkid I wanted to make sure everyone here was credited in the first post as they see fit, as I'm going to create the map titles and author names for the intermission screen. Also if anyone would like to fill in the information below, feel free to do so - it's not a requirement but it's nice to get some background on the maps for the text file that will accompany the finished megawad.

MAPXX: map title

Author:

Build Time:

------------

Comments on map

As an example:

MAP07: Carnage Facility

Author: Michael Jan Krizik (valkiriforce)

Build Time: A few weeks

------------

I started this map in February as inspired from the non-linear techbase maps of the Möller brothers and by the setting of Boise, Idaho where my brother had moved to in recent years. I had seen photographs of a city with a snowy mountain backdrop, and I thought it seemed like a unique setting for a high-tech fortress to be set in the middle of a city with a similar background. I liked the idea of sprawling inter-connected staircases and a layout that looked clean, and I tried to insert some unexpected sequences in the map progression, which include the megasphere anti-trap, the exploding hall area and the transforming rocket launcher area. This was also around the time I started my Vinesauce contest map (Lost Dreams) but I had put it on hold to complete this map first. I'm very satisfied with the results - also it does make little use of the MAP07 tags, which includes a fail-safe secret for those playing the map monsterless, so it does not require killing the mancubus to exit the map.

Co-authored maps can also include comments from both map authors. I'll just include the names next to the comments when the information is posted.

In regards to the soundtrack, we still need about 10 tracks for maps that have no music, plus intermission and title screen music. I was thinking to use Derived From Unconscious Mind on either MAP24 or MAP26, depending on whether it might fit the latter map or not when it comes out. I was also curious how the MAP07 track is coming along @Viscra Maelstrom? Hopefully it won't be long before we can finish the maps and the soundtrack, and all that's left are a proper intermission screen and bossback graphic (as well as additional playtesting and adjusting of the difficulties).

i'm sorry, @valkiriforce, but i haven't even started working on the remix. i had other projects that were occupying my time, making me put off MIDI composition for the time, and then a huge host of personal stuff that took priority as well. i'm rather embarrassed having to admit it this late, but that's how it is. i haven't made any new MIDI tracks lately either, so i can't even contribute to the remainder of the soundtrack that needs filling. i apologize for not having gotten any work done on the remix.

MAP08: Arctic Compound

Author: Diego 'DJV' Villarroel/valkiriforce

Build Time: A few weeks

------------

DJV's comment: I was aware that one of the maps for the first episode wasn't going to be accepted, right at the gates of the last week of the E1 "check-in". At the same time, I was experimenting on making a cool Akeldama E1 inspired map with Akeldama's textures, so I decided to  try and make a good layout for someone to edit and add more things on it. I took the advantage of having a new free slot to make yet another map (I made MAP24 before this one), or at least a nice layout. So I gave it to Valkiriforce for him to complete. The result was a really fun map, where the main layout worked out really well. I really liked Valkiriforce edits and I really liked to see the map with well-placed monsters, since I consider myself not being a master at the "monster placement" department.

Edited by DJVCardMaster

MAP17: Blood Covenant

Author: antares031

Build Time: Two months, on and off

------------

This is the third level that I designed with vanilla compatibility. Pretty simple level, with only a few tough moments. The name was from one of levels of Quake Champions. Thanks, and please enjoy the awesome soundtrack, composed by Eris Falling. :)

MAP15: Breaching the Source

Author: gaspe

Build Time: 8 months, on and off, map slower gaspe

------------

This was mainly inspired by MAP20 of TNT and with the idea of merging it with the Plutonia aesthetics to create a twisted, evil techbase with a dark trip to venture into the depths of the base with its demonic machineries. In the end I didn't put more crushers as I planned but there's quite a lot of ground to cover on the liquids that are all damaging in this level. I must say that I'm happy with the result, in paticular with the secrets and the little optional areas.

MAP31 red skull area

Author: gaspe

Build Time: a few weeks

------------

This area is like a continuation of MAP15 and I followed the same idea but my main inspiration here was MAP25 of Plutonia.

@valkiriforce So are we going to have our custom music made for all the maps?

On 9/6/2019 at 4:00 PM, Viscra Maelstrom said:

i'm sorry, @valkiriforce, but i haven't even started working on the remix. i had other projects that were occupying my time, making me put off MIDI composition for the time, and then a huge host of personal stuff that took priority as well. i'm rather embarrassed having to admit it this late, but that's how it is. i haven't made any new MIDI tracks lately either, so i can't even contribute to the remainder of the soundtrack that needs filling. i apologize for not having gotten any work done on the remix.

That's okay - I just thought I'd ask. Thanks for letting me know.

@DJVCardMaster Thanks for the info! Would you be willing to write one for your MAP24 as well?

Map18:

A wild HOM has appeared.

doom29.png.683a6793bd952c1cf2724f95037da119.png

And 2 monsters cannot teleport in.

doom30.png.a984dba2715b017b87c8cad71caabfa3.png

Map20:

One monster cannot teleport in.

doom31.png.a9aa2dda57d050d160783dbf633f48df.png

1 hour ago, valkiriforce said:

Yeah, guess I forgot to update the link - it's been fixed.

Nice one. Cheers.

I want that version in the megawad with the seg overflows fixed.

MAP24: Alexandria's Library

Author: Diego 'DJV' Villarroel

Build Time: A month (5 years)

------------

This is what actually happened to the mythical Library that randomly burned into ashes during early modern times. It was a work of hell, the forces of evil made this ancient place of knowledge burst into oblivion. Hell probably could not stand mortals having that much information in a single place.

This was at first, a map for a mapping tournament on an old Spanish-Speaking forum back in 2014, I never finished it, and only made up to the central courtyard (the main starting room and hall, and the "maze" room aswell). I probably worked on it three days and then left it. It was a vanilla mapping tournament, but I wasn't aware back in the day about VSP Overflows and other engine limitations, things that started appearing when I was back on this, for Akeldama. I always thought this map suited MAP24 well, for some reason, I also think it makes me remember to those oldschool maps in MM1/MM2/Requiem.
When I came back again with this map for the project, I worked on it for less than a month, and, to be honest, I didn't like the final result at all. Luckily I managed to like it a little bit more making many changes based on feedback over the course of the project.

I think this map is going to generate a pretty polarizing opinion and taste for doomers, that's what I feel while playing this map over and over.

1 hour ago, valkiriforce said:

Can I ask which port you're playing in? I haven't seen this HOM in any of the ones I've tested with.

Used glboom+.

MAP05: Bunker Hill

Author: DerFurer'sFace

Build Time: 2 weeks + revisions

------------

By the time I looked at the Alkedama CP, I was playing Plutonia again after years. I was on map16/17 at the time and I remember really enjoying the concrete base aesthetics of map17 and the rocky setting of map16, along with the narrow corridors and almost bunker feeling. I used this inspiration to create a map centered around fast-paced plutonia like gameplay but to include a mountain bunker setting, with trenches and attackers from elevated angles or kill holes. I wanted the elevated combat to make the map feel not so 2 dimmensional, and so the trenches added more aesthetic without making it impossible to attack the player. I also designed the map in a circular design so that the map would not feel too linear, with the player having to move between a figure 8 around two central areas visited later, allowing for half non-linear, and half more structured/controlled player-monster interaction.

MAP32: Operation Pump and Dump

Author: Doomkid & Valkiriforce

Build Time: It's always build time

------------

Notes by Doomkid: Originally this map was way easier and somewhat less detailed. Valkiriforce gave it the Go2It treatment and it looks way cooler now and will slap your helpless ass, so stay on your toes. Keep moving - standing still is a death sentence! If you're having trouble, just remember: Step 1, pump. Step 2, dump. Step 3, revel in your success, gloat over the carcasses of many slain baddies.

Downloaded the E1 and E2 wad. Pretty impressive stuff. The original songs are great especially Parting Souls by Viscra Maelstrom.

I think I'll eventually compose a midi for MAP15. Something dark and moody.

Just stopping by to say that I'm working on a track for MAP04. Here's an early WIP as proof.

EDIT: Here's a second WIP if you'd want me to finish it off, though I don't know where it would go. It's got kind of a doom metal vibe to it, so any map that needs something long, slow and moody would fit decently. This one might need a bit of restructuring as well as extending, not sure.

Edited by AD_79

MAP22: Dark sacrifices

Author: Paul977

Build Time: some hours

------------

A map thematically inspired by Alien Vendetta map 17 and map 23.

@pcorf @AD_79 Cool, I'm always glad to receive more midis. I really like what you have going with those two WIP midis - the latter sounds like it could fit on either MAP01 or MAP11, as it feels like it could represent the beginning of a long adventure when starting a new megawad, or it could be the start of a long map. Curious what you think of the idea.

MAP02: Knights of Ilasac

Author: Philnemba

Build Time: A month on and off

------------

A Memento Mori inspired map with some Plutonia inspired aesthetics. Fun fact: The name "Ilasac" is Casali spelled backwards ;)