Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
deep

Levels > 32k sidedefs .. who's interested?

By accident I found out that Randy intends to support > 32k sidedefs (hence Linedefs). Since he added his own node thingie, that gets around the SEGS problem and he took Lee K's blockmap algo, so that should solve that too.

Since there's no level this size right now, don't know if the code actually works. What I figured I'd do is make a level he can mess with so Randy can actually test his code.

Fredrik started all this by saying this was something he wantd and had a level that had 32k linedefs although he has yet to back this up:)

I have a beta version of DeePsea with which I made a 37k linedef level with 64k sidedefs. I'm just doing it for fun, since that was on my mind for quite a while. Now that supposedly ZDOOM will run this level, it's will be fun to test.

What I'm interested in finding out is if there is really much interest in making levels this size. Needless to say, you need fairly serious horsepower in your system to make this work - both for editing and for playing.

Anyone besides Fred interested?

if I wasn't too busy with other maps/projects, I'd spend time on it...but its unlikly I be able to achieve 32k linedefs....the maximum I can do is 13000 lines before I run out of ideas....

deep said:
What I'm interested in finding out is if there is really much interest in making levels this size. Needless to say, you need fairly serious horsepower in your system to make this work - both for editing and for playing.

Yes.

The good news: I made a 24k linedef level and it worked in ZDOOM.

The bad news: Randy has to fix the sidedef referencing. He thought it was all unsigned, although I thought I spotted some problems. Anyway it won't work past 32k sidedefs right now. I had to pack the sidedefs to get them down in size.

Randy will most likely fix this, since that was his intent - to go over 32k sidedefs.

Nonetheless, this is the largest known level in the DOOM world:) I'd better make it 32k before someone else does - LOL.

Randy said he didn't up the linedef limit (must have used the same node structure that has this limit(?) - although segs are ok) - but 32k is pretty decent.

So Lutz - your level will work in ZDOOM. You have to use the new gennodes option (to use the internal BSP builder), enable the gen blockmap (I think that's a default) and off you go. Use the latest version 27.cab

deep said:

Yes, my small DM maps reach 10,000 sidedefs without ever trying to add much detail. :/

Edit: Of course I'm not about buy Deepsea to do it.