Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

Random Image Thread

5 hours ago, Doom_Dude said:

UEKN4Rg.jpg

Haha I can relate. I get that same feeling of revulsion watching Christmas episodes of tv shows outside of Christmas. There are four-ish weeks out of the year to broadcast those episodes without feeling out of season. But I guess that's a symptom of Christmas creep encroaching on Thanksgiving's and even Halloween's territory.

7 hours ago, Chow Yun Thin said:

Haha I can relate. I get that same feeling of revulsion watching Christmas episodes of tv shows outside of Christmas. There are four-ish weeks out of the year to broadcast those episodes without feeling out of season. But I guess that's a symptom of Christmas creep encroaching on Thanksgiving's and even Halloween's territory.

This seems weird to me. In the UK, American series tend to get shown out of sync, so Xmas episodes just get shown whenever (at least, this used to be the case; it might have changed), so I was surprised to find that in the US they avoid showing them at other times of year. It never occurred to me that anyone would care, in fact.

Anyway, a couple of random images:

DOziyvf.jpg

Rocks in the Racetrack, Death Valley.

A7mRVUb.jpg

Titus Canyon Road, Death Valley.

On 8/30/2019 at 3:40 AM, Grazza said:

Dorian is a trilobite. Proof:

Local news sent out an email with a snapshot of that chart that was much more... phallic.

I showed some crude-humoured coworkers and it went over their heads. 

One said "yeah, we should get about 4 to 6 inches" and i had to stifle my laughter.

In any case, here in coastal VA we should just get rain hopefully.

Idk if @esselfortium still lives in NC, but if so (and any other Doomers in the path), take care!

2 hours ago, DuckReconMajor said:

In any case, here in coastal VA we should just get rain hopefully.

Idk if @esselfortium still lives in NC, but if so (and any other Doomers in the path), take care!

Thanks, hoping things will be alright up where you are too! We're getting hit with it right now, seemingly nothing too horrible here so far but the night is still young.

On 9/3/2019 at 11:30 PM, Grazza said:

This seems weird to me. In the UK, American series tend to get shown out of sync, so Xmas episodes just get shown whenever (at least, this used to be the case; it might have changed), so I was surprised to find that in the US they avoid showing them at other times of year. It never occurred to me that anyone would care, in fact.

I'll admit that I don't watch much TV and I have no idea if current TV shows do this, if they ever did. Reruns definitely do this, but I think whoever is scheduling them is doing it because it's just another episode instead of annoying me specifically. Like the past July, I was babysitting my nephew in and he was watching the PBS kids programming when they put up a themed block of "Christmas in July". I had heard of that phrase as a take-that on the increasing scope of Christmas creep, but unironically doing that seemed off-putting to me. Kinda like Flat Earthers starting off as a satire, only to be joined then forced out by the "true believers".

I think my dislike of offseason Christmas episodes stems from noticing said Christmas creep expanding more as the years pass. I distinctly remember my first encounter of it in the mid-00s when I went to a department store at a mall in July and saw a display of ornaments, snow globes and other bric-a-brac, and a radio playing Christmas songs. I noped out of there like it was covered in spiders. A few years later, I went to a CostCo in mid-August and saw snowmen and lights smack dab in the open area where everyone could see. I understand that retailers usually get their seasonal stock way in advance, but I'm still no fan of seeing reminders of the associated holiday until it is actually next in the pipeline (with one exception). And this creep is not just limited to Christmas either; I've seen Valentine's Day cards sold during the week of Christmas day as an example. I think a more cynical person might say the reason for the season creep is to get it into the minds of consumers so they have more time to buy the commercial stuff. I just want to save what little enthusiasm I have for Christmas and use it during the proper time instead of burning out long before the actual day and hating it overall.

The one exception I have is Halloween, and that's mostly because the only thing I find worth celebrating in September is the first day of fall, so that month may as well fall in the purview of the Halloween season. It doesn't help that Dinosaur Dracula starts his Halloween countdown around the first of September.

1 minute ago, ReaperAA said:

@seed Which game?

None, that's the Humungousaur from the live-action rendition of Ben 10: Alien Force called Ben 10: Alien Swarm.

Criminally underrated movie imo. Sure, it didn't have the highest budget, and also got some things about the characters wrong, but it's nowhere near as bad as some make it be. Also a vast improvement over the first Ben 10 movie. Old times, I'm a bit nostalgic right now, been so long since I've watched this movie, but I still remember it like it was yesterday.