Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Gokuma

Shadows of the Unmaker

I think I've uncovered some unused graphics in Doom Alpha version 0_2 that haven't been seen before. I have the stuff up on my site (you can use the homepage link at the bottom of my post).

Sweet, now, some images of the weapons from the playerview (You know, firing, etc.) would be schweet.

The ones that exist are easy to extract with Deutex and I put up instructions for extracting from v0_2 it's not supposed to normally work with. I have no idea how to go about making weapon sprites of the Unmaker, but I have some ideas for a marginal Dark Claw.

Glad you like it.

Sure, Thrasher. Use any of the alpha gfx. Just credit me if you use the unmaker or the images in top row of weapevol.gif.

Hey, a while back someone made a resource wad with all the alpha 0.4 stuff. Mind just throwing the 0.2 wad files into a wad or zip for us "ability-deprived" types?

Sparky made an Alpha Guns patch but I don't know about a resource wad.

Here is a zip of everything I extracted from v0_2. It's pointless to change the background color and put everything back into a wad, unless every single bit of it is going to be used for good reasons. Other than what I put up on my site, they're isn't really much else worthwhile in that version. But if you've been craving some original "Tom is king" and "Jules Sucks" textures they're in there.

The ones from Deathz0r's site ( deathwarrior.slipgate.org/alpha.php ) are better. Including just about all resources that you could rip and it's even somewhat playable too.

I don't think Sparky has a web page but you can find his Alpha Guns patch (alpha04g.*) in this directory.

It's pretty cool. While Deathz0r seems to be creating an accurate wad/patch of each Alpha. It seems that Sparky's intention was to make a playable (but difficult with some malfunctioning weapons that weren't in the alpha) wad/patch based mainly on Alpha v0_4, but with a few things from other alphas and some artistic license taken.

I think there's room and purpose for both projects.

Great site! A fellow Castlevania & Doom fanatic. :P

The Unmaker... seems that it was planned long before Doom 64. You learn something new everyday. :)

I've read the Doom Bible before, but didn't remember reading that part. Probably just skipped that part. :P

that is one freaky looking weapon... I wonder if it's dose the same thing as the doom 64 unmaker, or somthing a little more sinister... >:D

I've never seen and don't know anything about the Doom 64 weapon, other than FAQs at GameFAQs simply call it a laser rifle and it gets powered up by artifacts. I got the game some time ago but only played about six levels into it.

Here's my idea of how the Unmaker would work based on the Doom Bible description: Fire a continuous red laser that distorts, stretches, and contorts the graphics of a demon it hits as long as it's hitting it and always causes gib death for enemies that have one. And the more pure the demon (opposed to just possessed guy or biomechanical demon), the more it distorts it and the faster it drains its life.

Of course the distortion and all the special cases would require source modification. If someone wants to do that, go for it. I know some C but I'm too busy with already available editing features and work on Ground Zero for the time being to undertake source modding, plus it seems that everyone uses MS Visual C for Doom while I have Borland C++ Builder although either should do.

Afaik, the Doom 64 unmaker fires a spread of three red lasers like this: \ | /

The Doom 64 Unmaker is a great weapon, but fully charged up, it's pretty cheap. You charge it up by finding pentegram keys in each of the 3 secret levels. The 4 modes are:

No Pentegram: Slow laser, firing straight.
One Pentegram: Fast laser, firing straight.
Two Pentegrams: 2 Fast lasers, \ /
Three Pentergams: 3 Fast lasers, \|/, also, each laser homes in on enemies in front of you.