Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DeathWalkerGT

Music#5

OK.... since these have become my most viewed topics I decided to take an other step regarding music from the games from the Doom era... What I mean is that I am going to ask wich is your favourite track from these games:

-Wolfenstein 3D\Spear Of Destiny

-Heretic\Hexen

-Duke 3D

-QUAKE I\II

PS: I know this place or more like forum is dedicated to Doom but I honestly don't know what to write here.... :)

Edited by DeathWalkerGT

Wolf3d - that one with the military drums (the boss level on ep. 1 I think)

I only played the demo of Hexen, ages ago, and I can't remember the music

Duke3d - theme song (apparently written by Megadeth!!)

Quake - The one with the industrial drone-y sound and the whispering

Wolf3D: Tossup between Enemy Around the Corner and Zero Hour.

Hexen: Darkmere (SWAMPR), hands down. Great atmospheric piece. Even got remixed into Hexen II as egypt2.mid/CD Track 7!

Duke3D: If I'm allowed to cheat and not stick to the PC version, I'll say the PS1 version of Stalker. It got a nice reprise in the next stage, too, although it doesn't seem like it is at first. If I'm sticking PURELY with the PC version, probably Water World or In Hiding, though Going After The Fat Commander is nice with its string stabs. If you forced me to pick a Lee Jackson track, 233.778 Celsius (which also got remixed for the PS1 version) or Preparation D, but on the whole I'm not as high on Lee Jackson's tracks as I am Bobby Prince's.

Quake: This is an oddball. I like Nine Inch Nails (I listened to my share of Closer in the 90s), but I actually don't terribly think highly of Quake or its really haphazard, slapdash construction (Quake II is a much more cohesive product and if you told me to name a Quake II track, that would actually be tough as fuck for me as almost the whole thing is great). I guess if I had to pick one, I'd pick Focus (Track 9), though Damnation (Track 8) is great.

hexen and rott have incredible soundtracks, heretic's and descent's are also incredible apart from the twelve bar stuff that snuck in
duke's soundtrack is mostly guitar noises, i really like the few ambient pieces
quake's soundtrack i haven't even heard cos my CD was screwed up, i played that game for years and made crap little arenas so i could die to reaperbots on skill 0.01

quake ii and unreal have cheesy soundtracks to me, serious sam's soundtrack is painful, strife's is very questionable, hexen 2's music didn't really land on me at all

i really think system shock's music is overlooked but it seems somewhat action-dependent and hard to rip in a satisfying way

does anyone remember what outlaws or shadow warrior or blake stone or powerslave sounded like

8 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

I guess if I had to pick one, I'd pick Focus (Track 9), though Damnation (Track 8) is great.

Where did you get the track names? I checked Wikipedia, it says all the tracks are untitled

3 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

Where did you get the track names? I checked Wikipedia, it says all the tracks are untitled

I found this really quick from googling: https://www.nin.wiki/Quake_Soundtrack

Alternate Track Titles:

There are in fact no official names for these tracks, as they remain untitled in the accompanying game literature.[2] They can be referred to by their track number; however, because the first audio track is the CD's second track (the first being reserved for the actual game data), this usually leads to confusion. As such, they can also be referred to in the format of Ghosts I-IV track titles (e.g. "02 Quake I"), numbers (e.g. "Quake 1"), sequenced untitled tracks, and so on.

Alternatively, fan-made titles and game level names are often brought up when CD ripping/playing software looks up the information on the CDDB:

1. game data

2. "Persia Inversion", "Quake Theme" or "Main Theme"

3. "Aftermath", "The Life Beneath It All" or "Intermission"

4. "The Hall of Souls", "Conscience" or "Start/Whispers"

5. "It is Raped", "Freezing Vertigo" or "Grisly Grotto"

6. "Parallel Dimensions", "The Journey" or "Slipgate Complex"

7. "Life", "The Hammer" or "Underearth"

8. "Damnation", "Ice" or "Castle of the Damned"

9. "Focus", "Peace?" or "Necropolis"

10. "Falling", "Violence Inside" or "Ziggurat Vertigo"

11. "The Reaction", "Death" or "Gloom Keep"

9 hours ago, yakfak said:

quake ii and unreal have cheesy soundtracks to me, serious sam's soundtrack is painful, strife's is very questionable, hexen 2's music didn't really land on me at all

I could see you not liking Quake II, but Unreal?

Are you some kind of soulless husk?

19 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

Quake: This is an oddball. I like Nine Inch Nails (I listened to my share of Closer in the 90s), but I actually don't terribly think highly of Quake or its really haphazard, slapdash construction (Quake II is a much more cohesive product and if you told me to name a Quake II track, that would actually be tough as fuck for me as almost the whole thing is great). I guess if I had to pick one, I'd pick Focus (Track 9), though Damnation (Track 8) is great.

You are right..... And thats why I edited the topic just to make things more clear....To tell you the truth and please don't kill me for this but I forgot QUAKE II.....!!!

True QUAKE II has some lovely music.....

Not a big fan of most Wolf3D tracks, but I love "U R A Hero" (music after finishing the episodes)

Of all those games, I'm most familiar with Wolf3D. The March to War (E1M9) is really quite great. While The Ultimate Challenge is just non-stop action right from the start, The March To War is just pure unreleased tension. The somewhat cheerful tone fits the less threatening bosses this track is accompanying, but there's that note of doubt beneath the cheerfulness that leaves you wondering if this victory march is meant for you or your enemy. The track is just the perfect fit for unsettling any kid playing Wolf3D for the first time. Works great with the big and completely empty corridor of E1M9, as well as the empty metal rooms of E2M9. I also remember sneaking though the huge central room of E5M9 and wondering when am I gonna get caught by Gretel Grosse. For the longest time I could never tell where exactly in the room she's standing before the fight, she'd always see me first. (I have no childhood memories of E4M9 because I could never get past E4M5, of course)

My other favorite track of Wolf3D has to be Lurking (E2M2). So haunting and devious. I used the midi version of it in my bizarre DMP2013 map. Also, Wolf3D's end level tune is pretty great too. It's just decisively victorious.

My favorite Duke Nukem 3D track is totally The City Streets. Such a great vibe of being stuck deep inside enemy territory, but nevertheless breaking free and still fighting through somehow.

Not so fond memories with Wolf3D or Quake1 (being all ambient can be bad sometimes, it's feel more a level stuff than a soundtrack).

But with Quake2 Descent Into Cerberon and Quad Machine are stuck on my head-

Duke Nukem 3D would be all of the third episode, and the main theme-

Heretic: Not really any track that stands out to me... sorry. :S

Hexen: *WINNOWING HALL INTENSIFIES*

Duke 3D: Hollywood Holocaust is a very good song, but one little diddy that I have WAY TOO MUCH love for is:

Spoiler

Quake/Quake 2/Wolfenstein/SOD - Not played any of these so no comment...

6 hours ago, DeathWalkerGT said:

Alright..... well I edited the original topic so  now we can all learn wich is your favourite track from QUAKE II......

You spoony bard.

I actually had my exposure to Quake II through the (admittedly impressive) PS1 port of it - so much that as a much younger me, I wrote a FAQ for it up on GameFAQs. It consisted of a bit of cribbing from the PSX manual, the PC manual, some other miscellaneous bits and of course some original content itself. Immediately I'm reminded of some of the old predilections I used to have, such as occasionally random capitalizing of words... bleh! Took years to break that habit. Had someone ask me if I was German once because apparently some of them type like that in English due to German grammar rules!

PSX Quake II is a slight oddball in that despite not containing all the content from the PC original (including whole episodes - it only had 19 levels compared to the PC's 39 - and that's without the mission packs factored in, of course), it also took a few levels from the N64 version, had four-player deathmatch, and it did have some exclusives of its own in the form of two enemies (Arachnid and the Guardian) and some enhanced lighting and visual effects (such as light coronas). The game runs at 512x240, which decently high-rez for the PS1, which could top out at 640x480 - keep in mind that at this time, very few PC gamers were going to even 640x480; someone runinng Quake II on a contemporary PC with a Voodoo Rush might be playing at 512x384. (N64, for reference, was 320x240 without the Expansion Pak, 640x480 with.) And yet despite that, PSX Quake II was pretty consistent and rock-solid 30 FPS, even when four-player deathmatch was going on. Larger levels have a little airlock where the game will load the second half of the map (only 2 MB of RAM on the PSX, remember!) but otherwise, it's actually a VERY impressive port.

Anyway... you wanted music choices.

• Quake II: Descent Into Cerberon. Easy enough, you'd say; this was the first level's music. But for me, it actually wasn't! The PSX and N64 versions of Quake II had a little starter level before the first level as the PC version knows it - and as you'll notice, that's actually one of the Mission Pack tracks in the PSX version! (Specifically, Stealth Frag.) So to me, it was actually the SECOND level. That said, this is generally one of the songs I definitely remember liking more when it came up. Big Gun is also a bit underrated IMO.
  • Quake II - The Reckoning: Tie between Counter Attack and Adrenaline Junkie for me. Gravity Well is a good track for if you've got an impressive sight at the start of the level. The aforementioned Stealth Frag obviously holds a place dear to me because it was MY intro to Quake II. And Crashed Up Again can go to Hell, because somehow I always thought that intro sounded goofy. The rest of the song isn't too bad, but that intro... ehh.
  • Quake II - Ground Zero: Got some nice Metallica vibes off ETF at the start. Complex 13 is also nice, especially its little bridge section around two minutes in. But the winner has to be what PSX Quake II played in the menu - Pressure Point. I don't think the PSX version had Pressure Point Huh Again, but it's a nice reprise.

Fun fact: The guys behind those ports, Hammerhead, would eventually be absorbed into id itself. They became id's mobile division, so they're responsible for stuff like the Java-based Doom RPG/Doom II RPG.

Wolfenstein 3d: ''Around the corners'' A.K.A E1F10

Heretic: ''River of Fire'' [I think] A.K.A E2M3

Duke Nukem: ''Aliens, say your prayers'' A.K.A Lunar Reactor

Quake: (Actually from a mission pack) Track 03 from Mission Pack 01

Quake 2: ETF (from Quake 2: Ground Zero)