Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheNoob_Gamer

WADs where "graphics/atmosphere >> gameplay" is the standard.

Basically, I'm looking for WADs where it's safe (and fun) to wander around maps and you can freely looking at the scenery, rather than just slaughtering enemies.

Bonus points if the WAD/map was made in Vanilla Doom/Boom.

Edited by TheNoob_Gamer

Well, there is this „Doom Tourism“ mod by JP Lebreton, which is actually quite awesome. With this you can play almost all maps without monsters. Doors and scripts that get triggered by monster deaths still work unlike „-nomonsters“. 

Check it out!

Also there are source ports that have a "massacre" cheat code (like Boom's TNTEM). There's also other fun stuff, like ZDoom's anubis console command (monsters move away from the player, though they'll still sometimes shoot), or Eternity's iamtheone (invincible, full ammo, all weapons, monsters don't act unless hurt). I also made my own "dxm" cheat code in GZDoom as a console alias (dxm standing, of course, for "deus ex machina"), which you can recreate by typing this line in the console:

alias dxm "god; toggle sv_fastweapons; toggle sv_infiniteammo; toggle sv_unlimited_pickup"

I made it to test map behavior without having to spend time on combat but also without having to disable monsters or kill them all with the console as it can break triggers in scripted maps. Also why I didn't put in some "give all" thingy, it's just meant to trivialize combat while otherwise preserving the flow of the map so you still need to get keys and so on.

I wholeheartedly recommend https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/0-9/5l1c
It's light on combat, and features a gorgeus city to explore.

I would jokingly suggest Earth.wad, but there's only a couple highlights visually. It's okay though.

1 hour ago, Gez said:

Also there are source ports that have a "massacre" cheat code (like Boom's TNTEM). There's also other fun stuff, like ZDoom's anubis console command (monsters move away from the player, though they'll still sometimes shoot), or Eternity's iamtheone (invincible, full ammo, all weapons, monsters don't act unless hurt). I also made my own "dxm" cheat code in GZDoom as a console alias (dxm standing, of course, for "deus ex machina"), which you can recreate by typing this line in the console:

alias dxm "god; toggle sv_fastweapons; toggle sv_infiniteammo; toggle sv_unlimited_pickup"

I made it to test map behavior without having to spend time on combat but also without having to disable monsters or kill them all with the console as it can break triggers in scripted maps. Also why I didn't put in some "give all" thingy, it's just meant to trivialize combat while otherwise preserving the flow of the map so you still need to get keys and so on.

When I don't want monsters to bother me, I like to just use "notarget". Then they're only a problem if they're blocking my path, and then I can engage them one by one.

Demonastery by Nootrac 

Counterattack by Mechadon

Breach by Viggles 

I remembered them randomly. 

Definitely at least Level 6 of Hell Ground.

Absolutely anything Lainos made, probably most things Shadowman made too.

Most of A.L.T.

Dawn of Reality.

Arcadia Demade. (It's Bioshock, what do you expect?)

Temple of the Lizardmen 3+.

City of the Damned: Apocalypse.

Unloved.

Hellbound.

Blade of Agony.

Phobia - The Age.

There are definitely many other maps where you could easily have a good time just turning off monsters & admiring the scenery if you'd like, but these are ones where I felt good looks/atmosphere was strongly prioritized over delivering any real form of memorable gameplay experience.

I felt the stuff @Mistypointed out had fully thought out gameplay too, probably much more than any other wad mentioned in this thread so far, (EDIT) except Dragonfly's maps, as I never found those to be the slightest bit more emphasized in look/feel than in gameplay. Though any list with Breach and Demonstary is not complete without Brigandine as well.

Edited by FrancisT18

+1 for Hellbound and Hell Ground, both are a must to go sightseeing.

Gusta's maps in Kama Sutra and Plutonia 2 are worth to check in nomonsters too, though the former is full of realistic design (or DoomCute furniture and objects like a telescope or a boat), rather than something chill-paced.

Bloody Steel is situated in construction sets, haunted mansions and parallel dimensions. It feels like playing another FPS but with the Doom features. Not a walk in the park btw.

Alpha Accident has so much atmosphere, your Phobos techbases magnified, with added custom features. Worth checking.

Sacrament's last level is one of my top 5 atmosphere-centric maps ever. Dark, immense, apocalyptic, gorgeous music. Forget everything above, just play this!  

Here's a few more which haven't been mentioned yet:

Anything by Espi, especially Eternal Doom IV - MAP17: The Shrine and Suspended in Dusk

Anything by Chris Lutz, especially Phobos: Anomaly Reborn, Caverns of Darkness, and Hellscape

Darkening Episode 2

Null Space by Russell Pearson

Vela Pax by Mechadon

Lost Civilization by Jaska

Thunderpeak by Vader

Brigandine by Viggles

Scythe X by Erik Alm

Also, let's not forget there are some great looking Deathmatch .wads. Gothic DM 1 & 2 are the obvious suggestions, but I'll try to think up some others!

There's some gems in Eternal Doom, like MAP05: Time Gate and MAP12: Darkdome (placed 62nd and 9th respectively in the Top 100 Memorable Maps), not to mention the mighty MAP30: Excalibur. Worth to check out the other levels as well, though!