Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
icecoldduke

MegaLight - WIP MegaTexture Lighting Tool

Hey,

I created a lightmapper for MegaTextures called MegaLight. MegaLight bakes a 16,384x16384 lightmap in under a minute. MegaLight uses DirectX 12 Raytracing. The MegaTexture compiler combines the lightmap and the albedo to form the final MegaTexture. 

megalight.png

Edited by icecoldduke

I added a video to the original post to show off the tech in game, thoughts?

EDIT:

As a side note I was hoping to delete the image I originally uploaded(because its garbage), is there a way to do that?

Another quick video showing off my megatexture light bake tool. The shadows on the terrain are NOT realtime and are baked into the megatexture using my MegaLight tool. 

Edited by icecoldduke

So it's baked into the texture, but it won't interact on the player/monsters/objects, correct?

If so that's great for distant terrains and stuff the player can never reach, but it'll fall apart immediately if they can be in that area since the (otherwise) unifited lighting and shading will kind of give it away if it's bright/there's other light sources/etc.

9 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

So it's baked into the texture, but it won't interact on the player/monsters/objects, correct?

If so that's great for distant terrains and stuff the player can never reach, but it'll fall apart immediately if they can be in that area since the (otherwise) unifited lighting and shading will kind of give it away if it's bright/there's other light sources/etc.

I'll have shadow mapping on top of the baked megatexture shadows that will take care of the dynamic objects such as player/monsters/etc. 

Looks great, it's just too bad there's basically nobody who mods Doom 3 anymore so I don't see this getting much use.

1 hour ago, Gez said:

Looks great, it's just too bad there's basically nobody who mods Doom 3 anymore so I don't see this getting much use.

There's some people doing mods and working in some standalone projects with the engine. I already can think in four people doing some standalone projects with the Doom 3 engine right now.

Man, this would be awesome for classic Doom. Not as much Doom 3 as it already has pretty cool shadowing, but this is great for outdoor areas since spamming lights is a lil bit laggy outdoors.

Only issue with classic Doom is that you'd have to make a map for every single wall, but it would be really cool anyways. (yeah i know K8Vavoom does this but it's nice to have full control over the end result, like editing it in Paint or something)

Anyways, this is neat. Interested to see whatever comes out of this. (Doom 2016 in Doom 3 amirite?)

Looking good. How do you create large landscapes like these? meshes? heightmap?

On 9/1/2019 at 8:44 PM, icecoldduke said:

As a side note I was hoping to delete the image I originally uploaded(because its garbage), is there a way to do that?

You select it and hit del or backspace while editing the post.

Edited by tempdecal.wad

3 hours ago, tempdecal.wad said:

Looking good. How do you create large landscapes like these? mesh? heightmap?

I added the ability to import heightmaps into the engine. 

To create the megatexture, I created a tool called MegaGan.

In a megaproject you define your megalayers and in each megalayer is a albedo texture and a grayscale mask, then you just type megagen [megaproject] [resolution] then you get your megatexture asset

Then you run megalight on the map

Then you run makemegatexture and you got a megatexture

So I'm switching over to virtual texturing instead of using clipmapping for MegaTextures, but I've uploaded the megatexture code only to my github. This code WILL NOT compile out of the box(remember I'm using vanilla with a bunch of BFG code integrated over), but this code will have an easier time compiling in the BFG edition out of the box. If anyone wants it, here it is.

https://github.com/jmarshall23/Doom3MegaTexture

22 minutes ago, icecoldduke said:

So I'm switching over to virtual texturing instead of using clipmapping for MegaTextures, but I've uploaded the megatexture code only to my github. This code WILL NOT compile out of the box(remember I'm using vanilla with a bunch of BFG code integrated over), but this code will have an easier time compiling in the BFG edition out of the box. If anyone wants it, here it is.

https://github.com/jmarshall23/Doom3MegaTexture

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES