Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

Doom: Annihilation update

2 hours ago, Jarvay said:

The problem with the film for me is that it just feels...cynical. Like it's being done only because Doom is in the mainstream again and Universal realized they have this old video game license they can cash-in on.

And it checks out. The film is being produced by Universal 1440, who seems to exist solely to churn out cheap animated features and meaningless direct-to-video sequels to Universal properties collecting dust: Jarhead, Hard Target, Backdraft, Scorpion King. The whole thing looks low budget enough that the live-action commercial for Doom 2016 probably had more money to play with.

Doom deserves better that a DTV cheapie, but I can't imagine that my feelings are much different than anybody who liked Jarhead or Backdraft and find out that some mediocre and forgettable DTV film is calling itself a sequel to a thing they enjoyed.

Except the director has said that Doom is his favourite game of all time. Says he’s put his all into it, and it’s apparently super loyal to the source material, even gets its story from the original instruction manual from Doom 1. Despite Doom 2016’s “mainstream” appeal, they still decided to adapt Doom 1 instead. All these facts are confirmed. You won’t get this out of a big budget movie. Every big budget game movie has dumbed stuff down and neutered it to try to appeal to a bigger audience. In Doom’s case they removed the entire Hell concept to try and give it enough mass appeal to sell, completely selling out the franchise. THAT is cynical. This? A low-budget labour of love? Nah mate. This is not cynical. ‘05 was cynical.

Continuing in the tradition of people just complaining on a bandwagon, I noticed that a good number of comments on the twitter page for the BFG reveal were about how small it is. It's funny, because I remember not too long ago, everyone was complaining at how -big- it looked on our heroine. It reminds me of how people complained about Doom 2016 not being colorful enough, only to rail on Eternal for being too colorful. 

I will say that yes, the BFG looks amazingly...like plastic. Though this is not something we didn't already see in the previous trailer, so I'm not exactly surprised. Bonus points for green plasma though, which makes it closer to the actual BFG than the original Doom movie already. 

I'm not a huge fan of the cinematography, if the chainsaw clip is anything to go by, but again; I was more or less expecting those kinds of cuts. Main takeaway; needs more blood. 

Another thing occurred to me; while I understand why our heroes faces are not obscured, they should have at least had some kind of respirators on. It would have helped make them at least somewhat closer to the original marines. 

All in all; the clips do nothing to convince me that my stance on the film so far has been off the mark. Not likely to break much ground, but past all of it, there is a strange...sincerity? Again, I just can't help but feel a little bad for the people actually doing the work on it. I remain convinced that the studio pushing it out is perhaps acting out of cynicism, as has been accused, but the actual production people are trying. I think a lot of people jumping on every single post that's released about the film are being exceptionally unfair, and needlessly cruel in their vitriol to people who are obviously working hard with what they've got. It's kind of telling actually, that the film is still being accused of not being about Hell, even when the makers have clarified that it is, in fact, about hell.  Heck, at this point, even if they do for some reason roll out "Doom Slayer", I bet everyone will just scoff and go "Lol , #NotMySlayer!" . 

Bottom line; people have decided that since the movie will not be Hardcore Henry, John Whick or Fury Road, it will suck and so everyone working on the film is truly the spawn of the Icon of Sin. Bad movie coming or not, this is a horribly disingenuous, and unnecessarily vindictive stance IMO. 

A Doom movie without Doomguy is like a Batman movie without Batman.

This looks half-decent, considering the small budget. It certainly won't be a masterpiece by any stretch, but it seems to be entertaining, at the very least. Hyped isn't the right word, but I am looking forward to watching it.

45 minutes ago, Taurus Daggerknight said:

So.... Joker?

Last I knew it's not called Batman: Joker.

2 minutes ago, geo said:

I mean, it still counts, being very firmly a Batman thing. 

All that aside, I mostly just contest the idea that Doom Guy/ Doom Slayer is really that central to Doom in the first place. We've had many stories in which THE Doom Guy/ Slayer is not the focus, or even a character. The big marker for Doom, IMO, is "Portals to Hell, Cybernetic Demons and Space Marines". The main character in the classic games, Doom 3 and even 2016 all have too little "character" for them to be so key to anything, for my two cents. 

17 minutes ago, geo said:

Last I knew Doom is not called Doomguy either. Doomguy is nicknamed after the product, not the other way around.

How the true Doom movie must be look like:

Or just the FPS segment from the first movie as the whole movie, lmao.

Doomguy isn't iconic, his armor is. Doomguy has no personality outside of "kill demons". Doomguy isn't vital to Doom, only the act of killing demons. 

Hey, wasn't it said by Romero himself that the Marine in Classic Doom is meant to represent You the player? How do we go from that to this?

1 hour ago, Đeⓧiaz said:

How the true Doom movie must be look like:

[Hardcore Henry trailer]

Or just the FPS segment from the first movie as the whole movie, lmao.

The problem with a movie being entirely first person is you negate the possibility of methodical, carefully framed compositions. While the perspective itself is interesting, without anything to contrast it, the look becomes predictable, which is why some critics complained of viewer fatigue. Have you seen the original "Robocop"? There's a brief smattering of POV shots during his "waking up" process, and because they're the only POV shots in the film, they're extremely interesting. Another example, albeit less related, is the one handheld shot in "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?," a 1966 film that has otherwise conventional cinematography. It really stands out. Video games, due to their nature as an interactive medium, can get away with—and typically benefit from—being visually consistent, particularly in regards to the camera.

9 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

The problem with a movie being entirely first person is you negate the possibility of methodical, carefully framed compositions. While the perspective itself is interesting, without anything to contrast it, the look becomes predictable, which is why some critics complained of viewer fatigue. Have you seen the original "Robocop"? There's a brief smattering of POV shots during his "waking up" process, and because they're the only POV shots in the film, they're extremely interesting. Another example, albeit less related, is the one handheld shot in "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?," a 1966 film that has otherwise conventional cinematography. It really stands out. Video games, due to their nature as an interactive medium, can get away with—benefit from—being visually consistent, particularly in regards to the camera.

Soooooooooooooo?

I don't get your opinion. The best Doom movie (in ideal) must not be shooted at all. By another words, those movies must not be existed at all. But since we live in non-ideal world it should be just an attraction with action-action-action.

The Robocop is not good example, because the POV scene is for making feeling that something is wrong with Murphy and he can't see this right now that he's a machine. So this is the DRAMA scene. And we as spectators must be close to the feelings of the hero. And Alex is not just a hero, he is a PERSON. With feelings, thougts, etc

For Doom it doesn't make any sense. I don't want a Drama Movie. I want an (sometimes) unlogical FPS action. Of course, the BEST experience is just play THE VIDEOGAME. But that's why I said that in ideal world those movies not existing. Since people tries to shoot the movie about the FPS game...it should be like the GAME they try to "reimagine". Heh

50 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Doomguy isn't iconic, his armor is. Doomguy has no personality outside of "kill demons". Doomguy isn't vital to Doom, only the act of killing demons. 

Hey, wasn't it said by Romero himself that the Marine in Classic Doom is meant to represent You the player? How do we go from that to this?

Much like Samus isn't a woman, she's a suit of armor.

On 9/7/2019 at 1:45 PM, GoatLord said:

The problem with a movie being entirely first person is you negate the possibility of methodical, carefully framed compositions. While the perspective itself is interesting, without anything to contrast it, the look becomes predictable, which is why some critics complained of viewer fatigue. Have you seen the original "Robocop"? There's a brief smattering of POV shots during his "waking up" process, and because they're the only POV shots in the film, they're extremely interesting. Another example, albeit less related, is the one handheld shot in "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?," a 1966 film that has otherwise conventional cinematography. It really stands out. Video games, due to their nature as an interactive medium, can get away with—and typically benefit from—being visually consistent, particularly in regards to the camera.

you need see this movie

image.png.6964ca7c662d3fd3c5a7a433df418140.png

3 hours ago, Gaia74 said:

you need see this movie

image.png.6964ca7c662d3fd3c5a7a433df418140.png

On 9/7/2019 at 12:55 PM, Đeⓧiaz said:

Soooooooooooooo?

I don't get your opinion. The best Doom movie (in ideal) must not be shooted at all. By another words, those movies must not be existed at all. But since we live in non-ideal world it should be just an attraction with action-action-action.

The Robocop is not good example, because the POV scene is for making feeling that something is wrong with Murphy and he can't see this right now that he's a machine. So this is the DRAMA scene. And we as spectators must be close to the feelings of the hero. And Alex is not just a hero, he is a PERSON. With feelings, thougts, etc

For Doom it doesn't make any sense. I don't want a Drama Movie. I want an (sometimes) unlogical FPS action. Of course, the BEST experience is just play THE VIDEOGAME. But that's why I said that in ideal world those movies not existing. Since people tries to shoot the movie about the FPS game...it should be like the GAME they try to "reimagine". Heh

You do realize that you’re trying to explain how only you know “the right way” on how to do filmmaking… to someone who has actually had extensive experience in filmmaking, right?

That said, I do agree with Linguica on how to best handle a potential Doom movie in the future: an installment set within the universe that doesn’t focus on the Doomguy/Doom Marine/Doomslayer. Instead, it should focus on characters that can plausibly exist within the universe as well as elements that already exist within said universe (like for example, a movie that focuses on a squadron of Night Sentinels who somehow managed to survive the events that lead up to Doom 2016 and later Doom Eternal). 

Back on topic: yeah, I do feel like this movie does exist as what’s called an “ash can copy” — that is, a movie made solely for the purpose of a studio to retain the rights of a property just so that they can actually do something with it or just hold on to it (both the Roger Corman version of Fantastic 4 and Fant4stic are some egregious examples). 

That said, while the studio may see it as such, I don’t think the cast and crew actually sees it that way. I mean, I saw a bunch of Twitter and Instagram posts where the cast was clearly enjoying themselves and having themselves a hell of a time. Plus, the director himself is a fan of the games and actually wrote the script so that it’s as faithful to the original Doom instruction manual as possible. Plus, as you may have seen from the behind-the-scenes stuff, they heavily modeled the aesthetic look from a mixture of classic Doom, Doom 3, and Doom 2016. 

Like I said, if this movie’s going to suck, let it suck on its own merits. But at the very least, it’s an honest attempt in actually trying to stick to the games as opposed to a cynical cash-grab meant to appeal to a wider audience like the 2005 movie. 

You guys are overthinking it. There are countless action movies with worse plot than a D&D newbie character background and nothing but action scenes and shitty one liners. There is nothing stopping Doomguy from having the same. 

On 9/7/2019 at 7:37 AM, Taurus Daggerknight said:

if the chainsaw clip is anything to go by, but again; I was more or less expecting those kinds of cuts. Main takeaway; needs more blood. 

I'm pretty sure (and I hope I'm right) it's all cut and edited that way for the advertising. You can't put excessive R-rated stuff in trailers without a warning and limiting the spread online, and especially not in random Twitter clips. There have been set photos with blood splatter all over the walls and floors, but it's been pretty much absent from these trailers, and I think that's why we're only seeing very basic cuts, because it's the only 'clean' stuff they can show.

In the chainsaw clip, the character appears to be being splattered with black/brown goop instead of blood, which I believe is actually red in the movie but has been desaturated for the clip to be able to be shared. I'll call back to the original trailer for the first Resident Evil movie, where zombies appeared to be covered in a sort of blue gunk, which was all blood in the actual movie, and they had changed the colour to be able to show it in the trailers.

24 minutes ago, FreakZoneGames said:

I'm pretty sure (and I hope I'm right) it's all cut and edited that way for the advertising. You can't put excessive R-rated stuff in trailers without a warning and limiting the spread online, and especially not in random Twitter clips. There have been set photos with blood splatter all over the walls and floors, but it's been pretty much absent from these trailers, and I think that's why we're only seeing very basic cuts, because it's the only 'clean' stuff they can show.

In the chainsaw clip, the character appears to be being splattered with black/brown goop instead of blood, which I believe is actually red in the movie but has been desaturated for the clip to be able to be shared. I'll call back to the original trailer for the first Resident Evil movie, where zombies appeared to be covered in a sort of blue gunk, which was all blood in the actual movie, and they had changed the colour to be able to show it in the trailers.

I don't know. I could be wrong too, but it looked like convenient framing to hide a things from the shot, and I'm not sure why a trailer for a film being distributed directly to DVD (and maybe streaming) would need to be so careful. Doesn't that only apply for theatrical releases? 

Either way, I'm no guru with anything to do with film, so it's just my uneducated two cents so far. 

It's more that a studio like Universal have to keep their online stuff clean, or include warnings. There was no red band at the start of any of the trailers or clips from what I can remember.

11 hours ago, Man of Doom said:

You do realize that you’re trying to explain how only you know “the right way” on how to do filmmaking… to someone who has actually had extensive experience in filmmaking, right?

Please, don't try to "quote" the words I DID NOT said/typed at all. I didn't said that I do know the right way or I do know how to shoot the A+ Rank movies. You're just overthinked my reply in this thread.

And you didn't find any arguments against my opinion about Robocop's FPS scene. That's also bad move from you.

Anyway, whatever you all say. Looks like it's not my lucky week, a lot of people complainng that I'm kinda rude. Just for my opinions, heh.

This Robocop scene you guys talk about is to demonstrate how bad arse he is while teasing the audience by not showing what the fuss is about.

I believe this was also id softwares take (Marty and Hugo) on the scene and inspired by it. The POV scene serves a great unique and temporary moment.

I can already smell the meme potential.

Decino: *pistol starts all of Plutonia*

Me, an intellectual: nope *proceeds to run the fuck away*

Well there's definitely going to be some cheesy-as-hell stuff in there, that's for sure. Going to be interesting to see how it balances out with the gore and Hell elements.

7 hours ago, Dany the penguin >QB< said:

I hope it's very campy and self aware, and actually acknowledges that demons aren't just aliens.

In all fairness, the UAC has always been  a bit naive on this front. They almost always keep trying to tell themselves that the demons are some aliens they can just science their way around, up until Doom 2016...at which point someone just went " I see no heaven, clearly this means we've been praying to the wrong god!".  

I know this has already technically been posted, but I think Civvie sums it up best:

Ah, delicious cheese. 

We may actually be getting the live-action equivalent of the Doom comic. And that, my friends, is a beautiful thing.