Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Anyone else liked the original imp better?

drokk said:

there's room to distinguish it from current baron though

Like basing it after the Doom 3 Hell Knight, which they did, which I thought was a good move. They even distinguished them in terms of tactic, wherein Barons are the slower tanks and Hell Knights are the Berserkers that get into your face with a preference for melee.

Barons are pretty fricking fast for being so big, though. they're about twice the size of you, and can still hunt you down pretty efficiently, even though they seem to prefer lobbing fireballs at you.

From a gameplay perspective most of the demons are a lot more interesting than their classic counterparts except the Revenant and Summoner. The Revenant looks and feels like the classic one but he really doesn't pose a threat. The Summoner is too fragile compared to the almighty Archvile.

DooM_RO said:

From a gameplay perspective most of the demons are a lot more interesting than their classic counterparts except the Revenant and Summoner. The Revenant looks and feels like the classic one but he really doesn't pose a threat. The Summoner is too fragile compared to the almighty Archvile.

Fragile? MOST OF MY DEATHS WERE BECAUSE OF THOSE THINGS RAPIDLY SUMMONING DEMONS AFTER I KILLED ONE-

ok i need to sleep

Viscra Maelstrom said:

Barons are pretty fricking fast for being so big, though. they're about twice the size of you, and can still hunt you down pretty efficiently, even though they seem to prefer lobbing fireballs at you.

They don't seem to be nearly as interested at closing the gap as Hell Knights, though, since they (as you said) prefer long ranged attacks.

Sgt Ender said:

Who says imps were meant to be slow? Where did this come from?

The game. They're slower or equal to the speed of every (moving) thing except lost souls and former humans.

That also made them unlike pretty much any other standard monster. What's the point of having claws if they just move fairly slowly? That's one of the things I think Doom 3 improved upon was making them more agile and I like that Doom 2016 retained it.

The new Imp is far more interesting than its classic counterpart. Slippery bastard for sure.

40oz said:

The game. They're slower or equal to the speed of every (moving) thing except lost souls and former humans.

Like I said, it was because of limitations back then that prevented them from having advanced fast movement.

I dunno where you got the fact that they're slower than everything else. Hell nobles, cacodemons, pain elementals, shotgun guys, and chaingun guys move at the exact same speed, zombiemen and mancubi move at 75% their speed, and lost souls move at half. They're pretty average.

Who would win in a race?

A rocket ship vs. a tricycle
A Ferrari vs. a tank
A cheetah vs. a snail
Doomguy vs. an imp

40oz said:

Who would win in a race?

A rocket ship vs. a tricycle
A Ferrari vs. a tank
A cheetah vs. a snail
Doomguy vs. an imp

Probably Doomguy but the imp stands a chance I suppose.

40oz said:

Doomguy vs. an imp

I mean, the answer is the same regardless of which Doom we're talking about. It's just that one game has dramatically different results depending on whether you're talking about a typical player nowadays or the typical player the game was designed for.

And in the latter case, it looks a lot closer to Doom '16's results, though still probably with the imp further behind.

Arctangent said:

I dunno where you got the fact that they're slower than everything else. Hell nobles, cacodemons, pain elementals, shotgun guys, and chaingun guys move at the exact same speed, zombiemen and mancubi move at 75% their speed, and lost souls move at half. They're pretty average.

I've noticed some Doomers act as though the picture they paint of the game(s) is what the devs intended. They forget that a lot of that shit is flexible.

My opinion on Imps:

The classic DooM imp was perfect. A muscular, intimidating brown, spiky, fireball-throwin' monster. You know you're fucked when they're near. Characters design was nearly flawless, but there's one thing I find wrong with it: The fact that there isn't anything wrong with it. If a character is too perfect to get complaints, that's a problem. Every character needs downsides.

The Doom3 imp was just pathetic.

The DOOM 4 imp was nearly perfect. Just as scary as before (if not scarier), and they're MUCH faster, offering more of a challenge. Once you see this orange/purple beast throwin' some fire at'cha, you're FUCKED. But, it doesn't resemble the old imp at all. Otherwise, it's amazing. So yeah, I like the oldest one best, but only slightly like it more than DOOM 4 imp.

imp clipart no white.gif

IMP clipart.png

Personally I love the new Imps. I like the old ones too, they look like weird apes with no ears, way too open jaw, really flat heads, and ridiculously high cheek bones.

Spoiler

baniszewskicheekboneswtf.png.4fc1dfe1305437eeefd76dc709267d14.png

I'm sure an HD version of the original would look more zombie like. Sort of like the new ones, but with less exoskeleton.

On 8/18/2018 at 12:08 AM, MetroidJunkie said:

1000?cb=20180813005930

THiS

This is a good imp. Sufficiently scary, he'll obviously hold his own against Doomguy for all of 20 seconds

^ Very cool statue.

In regards to this topic... New imp is cool. I like it a lot. It can be hard to get a good look at them because they're so fast, always climbing around throwing shit fireballs like a bunch of spider-monkeys though.

Would have been cool for them to have had their crazy gaping mouthes from the original. Say what you want about the trailers but check how the Doom Annihilation movie gave them 'nemesis mouth':

maxresdefault-3.jpg.996a7b66916a420893e1ed975429a3e0.jpg

I thought that was a cool take on their appearance in the DOOM 1 sprite.

On 8/18/2018 at 5:08 AM, MetroidJunkie said:

1000?cb=20180813005930

Looks like they also changed his colors to brown.

Edited by tempdecal.wad