Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mike_C

Craterside: my first map

Hi everyone

Iv'e been working with Slade3 for a couple weeks and finally finished my first map.

Craterside is a medium techbase themed map with some lava rooms and a few  secrets. The map has tight corridors as well as large combat rooms.

difficulty settings are not implemented but it should be fairly balanced to something like hurt me plenty.

///BASIC INFO:

DOOM format Tested with GZDOOM and ChocolateDoom

iWad: DOOM2

Freelook: Allowed but not necessary

Jump/Crouch: Allowed but not necessary

Map slot: MAP01

Build time: Roughly 10 hours

///SCREENSHOTS:

1631257457_ScreenShot2019-09-20at16_44_58.png.12575692b583f7e25a969d30b7542827.png915004680_ScreenShot2019-09-20at16_45_08.png.d09c29eda66be5f49de363f170f1a5eb.png828782508_ScreenShot2019-09-20at16_45_58.png.a82e78fd0285fad731e8db2075d03116.png879017947_ScreenShot2019-09-20at16_46_15.png.28c53397d5a891077c7bbd76edbf8542.png141916861_ScreenShot2019-09-20at16_46_27.png.2a5eab8ea8b277a8490d4b788571422d.png

///DOWNLOAD:

Craterside.zip

Edited by Mike_C

Thanks, I didn't realise those screenshots were taken before I fixed them. but the first room with the stairs still needs to be fixed. I will update after I find some time to work on it.

This map does not run at all in PR-Boom or Chocolate Doom, considering the map is Doom format, I was expecting it to work in these 2 ports. You should test on a wide variety of ports if you're going to release something in vanilla format. But then I played in GZDoom and noticed the use of translucent textures, so is this Doom format or GZDoom format? I dunno, either way I had to play in GZDoom. The map is pretty good for a first map. Besides the un-aligned textures (press shift+A to align in GZDoom builder) the visuals were pretty good, got a bit repetitive, however. It's important to have a consistent theme, but variety is the spice of life, so try to fit in more textures if you can. The design itself was very linear, but that's not a bad thing as long as the set pieces are fun. The map was pretty light on ammunition, though. Overall, good effort.

On 9/10/2019 at 10:06 PM, Egg Boy said:

This map does not run at all in PR-Boom or Chocolate Doom, considering the map is Doom format, I was expecting it to work in these 2 ports. You should test on a wide variety of ports if you're going to release something in vanilla format. But then I played in GZDoom and noticed the use of translucent textures, so is this Doom format or GZDoom format? I dunno, either way I had to play in GZDoom. The map is pretty good for a first map. Besides the un-aligned textures (press shift+A to align in GZDoom builder) the visuals were pretty good, got a bit repetitive, however. It's important to have a consistent theme, but variety is the spice of life, so try to fit in more textures if you can. The design itself was very linear, but that's not a bad thing as long as the set pieces are fun. The map was pretty light on ammunition, though. Overall, good effort.

Sorry about the format issue, I'm still new to this and I get confused about the different formats. I'm using Slade3 as I'm working on a mac and the options for map format are Doom, Hexen or UDMF so I went with the first one thinking it would be compatible with most ports. To be fair I was doubtful about the translucent textures so I guess that could be the issue?

I'm planning to spend some more time on the textures and tweaks some of the rooms so I will post an update for the map soon.

Thanks for the feedback!

On 9/10/2019 at 10:15 PM, Suitepee said:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/479686360

I play this at 3:02:40 into this playtest livestream, using Brutal Doom for the first time in ages. (I hadn't touched v21 before) Not bad for a first map, but needed some texture variation.

Thanks for the link, I really enjoyed the playthrough. sorry about the confusion with brutal doom, I never intended to imply that the map was designed with the mod in mind, its just how I've been playing it lately.

I've updated the file with the latest changes done to the map. Mostly adding more texture variety and alignment. I might rework it in the future or add more stuff but for now I'm calling this the final version.