Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheNoob_Gamer

Have you ever played vanilla Doom/Boom coop? If yes, what was the experience?

I noticed that vanilla Doom coop doesn't pop up quite often, and people barely talk about it.

So, to people who have played regular Doom coops with friends (X mapset on a random source port), what was your experience?

I played half of Vile Flesh and Kama Sutra with a friend about a month ago. We used Zandronum. It was the most fun I ever had with Doom.

2 minutes ago, Juza said:

I played half of Vile Flesh and Kama Sutra with a friend about a month ago. We used Zandronum. It was the most fun I ever had with Doom.

That's....not Vanilla or Boom :P That's still Zandronum.

1 minute ago, Fuzzball said:

That's....not Vanilla or Boom :P That's still Zandronum.

Thought it'd count because we were using Zand at the most accurate to original possible settings, and KSutra is a vanilla mapset. Because from my experience there's not any *special* difference between that and whatever else plays Doom mp properly.

Back in 1994 I played a bit on my company network back then. Oh the memories of the primitive hardware we had to cope with. What was called a 'network' back then cannot even remotely compare with what we have today. It was fun while it lasted but I haven't done it again ever since.

I played through Aliens TC on the original Doom2.exe with my older brother back in the day, and all the IWADs with the rest of my family.  That multiplayer only Cyb on Map11 of Doom 2 scared the bejesus out of us!

My memory is that it was pretty much like playing Doom co-op today.  I have no particular recollection of anything widely different, other than the physical fun of running Ethernet cables up and down the house.

I played a map with rizera a few years ago (dont remember what map) in prboom and found out its unplayable unless you are really close to the other player, would not repeat, just use zandronum.

Used to play both coop and DM with my dad way back when on the shareware version of Doom, on LAN.

More recently, I've been playing all kinds of maps and mods with a friend through Doomseeker/Zandronum. My dad doesn't play Doom anymore.

I did. Everyone pretty much go their own way and maps end in 5 minutes. I'd rather play pwads with more monsters instead. (Not to mention how dull coop feels after a while compared to survival)

Years ago I spent an entire day carting my old computer and monitor to a friend's house, making multiple trips to the local Radio Shack for cables and whatnot.   He had 2 telephone lines in his house to connect us both to our friends BBS.  We used to have a blast playing Doom 1&2 and Warcraft 2, even some cool MUD's.  That BBS is where I got my handle, CrbnBased.

For Vanilla Doom co-op play I'd recommend Chocolate Doom for the nostalgia factor.  But Vanilla can get boring when your playing with someone who knows the game well.