Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alientank

Shadows

I shamlessly ripped this from Zaldrons article

There are some problems with the new system though, something that doesn´t really affect the playability of games like DooM. While the RAD compilers of Quake 2 and 3 had radiosity included in the calculations, this engine will not have this kind of lighting, mostly because of a tech limitation. In real life, a light source will cast an undefined amount of raylights to every possible direction. Where those lightrays collide (with the surrounding matter) part of it will be absorbed and the rest reflected. That way, a lamp can uniformily lighten up a room, without strong, black pitch shadows. Since a lightray bounces many times in most materials, you can imagine the tremendous boost to the light level that "indirect lighting", as it´s called, provides to your surroundings. This time, the engine won´t be able to pull out reflections, wich means that places were no lightray gets, the engine will draw complete blackness. This doens´t really reflects badly on a game were that it´s supposed to be scary.

Ok now I just want to know, will all the shadows casted be pitch black? Or will there be lighter, medium and darker shadows?

Alright, because some areas are just totally black and where the shadow ends the texture is usually well lit up.

I was talking about areas where no lightray coming from the pin-point locations of the level's light hit.

Zaldron said:

I was talking about areas where no lightray coming from the pin-point locations of the level's light hit.

I'm not sure if I totally understand you. What do you mean the pin point locations of the levels light hit. Can you just give an example or something. I'm retarded :)

/Me is pretty damn close to explode in anger but manages to contain himself.
What have I told you about posting tech questions in the wrong forum?

Get it right dammit!

If there's only one light in a scene, naturally the shadows will be pitch black (eg, the Bathroom Scene). If there's more than one light, one light will brighten the shadows cast by the other, so they won't be pitch black.

Lord FlatHead said:

If there's only one light in a scene, naturally the shadows will be pitch black (eg, the Bathroom Scene). If there's more than one light, one light will brighten the shadows cast by the other, so they won't be pitch black.

Thank you, oh and sorry dsm. I'm just keeping you in check to make sure your doing your job ;)

Alientank said:

Thank you, oh and sorry dsm. I'm just keeping you in check to make sure your doing your job ;)

[sarcasm]Well thank you soo much good sir.[/sarcasm]
Dammit, I don't NEED DW Members to make sure I'm doing my job - my superiors are handling that perfectly well.

Do this one more time and you might risk that I lose my temper (something neither you nor I want to happen).

Capiche?

dsm said:

[sarcasm]Well thank you soo much good sir.[/sarcasm]
Dammit, I don't NEED DW Members to make sure I'm doing my job - my superiors are handling that perfectly well.

Do this one more time and you might risk that I lose my temper (something neither you nor I want to happen).

Capiche?

I was just kidding around dsm. I don't know what category to put it in sometimes, therefore getting mad at me holds no merit. And you didn't spell "capiche" right.

Alientank said:
I don't know what category to put it in sometimes, therefore getting mad at me holds no merit.

All right, then allow me to try and spell things out for ya:

Doom 3 General: This is where you discuss new gameplay ideas (both stuff fans thought up and official news), ideas for future Doom 3 mods, conceptual stuff (like "I don't like the way the new imp looks, boohooo!").

Doom 3 Technology: This is where you discuss everything that has something to do with hardware requirements, questions about how things like shadows, lighting and other cool effects work. This is where all the technical gibberish, which all us "normal" people don't understand a word of, goes.

Is that really that hard to understand? Personally, I think the difference between D3 General and tech is the easiest to distinguish between within all those forums on DW, so if you don't know in which of the two D3 forums D3 related things belong, then I gotta say that you must have a serious problem somehow (no offence).

I might have forgotten a few things in the above listings mind you, but these should give you the picture.

[/quote]And you didn't spell "capiche" right.[/quote][sarcasm]Thanks for telling me Mr Nitpicky, anything else I should know?[/sarcasm]

dsm said:

[sarcasm]Thanks for telling me Mr Nitpicky, anything else I should know?[/sarcasm]

Your a very pretty girl :)