• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

*2020 HAKAWARDS* I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps 2 *CLOSED*

Table of Contents

@nicolas monti

Doomworld forum topic

Nicolas has not disappointed yet in these city maps. This one probably takes the cake. The lighting level, the central theme of the map, the action, the way the layout interacts – all excellent. My only negative will sound familiar: some of the boss fights didn’t do much for me, and there are quite a few here, but there’s definitely a good variety in how they’re used.

Bottom line: excellent, tough, dark city map

4 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@meapineapple

Well, I didn't do very well as far as content, since a lot is optional. Near where I ended, I erroneously assumed the rest of the map was only accessible via arch-vile jump, which was plausible, but incorrect. Anyway, what I played was somewhat enjoyable, although I didn't prefer starting in such beautiful scenery, only to spend the entire rest of the map inside. I also found it a touch tedious at times, since I did not get any of the secret weapons, so I basically only used the super shotgun. Nevertheless, there's fun to be had in avoiding archies and enjoying the design/layout that allows so many windows/sight lines.

Bottom line: Just doing the critical path feels incomplete, but it's nice to take in.

Well of course it's supposed to feel incomplete. That's how bad endings work. Getting back to the island just like you were talking about - that's the good ending. Just like the WAD's description says you should do. It seemed like you understood that the exit you took was not supposed to feel like you won. "Optional" is not the term I'd use to describe the true ending.

Thanks for playing, though your secret-finding skills could certainly use some practice...

7 hours ago, meapineapple said:

Well of course it's supposed to feel incomplete. That's how bad endings work. Getting back to the island just like you were talking about - that's the good ending. Just like the WAD's description says you should do. It seemed like you understood that the exit you took was not supposed to feel like you won. "Optional" is not the term I'd use to describe the true ending.

Thanks for playing, though your secret-finding skills could certainly use some practice...

There's an exit switch that exits the map. You can say the rest is not optional, but it is factually, objectively, definitively optional. If that's not your intention, then maybe consider scrapping the early exit. I don't think you'd lose anything other than confusion. Players who need secret-finding practice would just quit early and wouldn't miss anything more than if they'd just taken the early exit. 

Hello, i have MAP01 from my recent project im working on, SCOURGE V CATHARSIS.

Hope you can playtest it for me, you will need two files S5.WAD and OTEX.WAD (it plays it DOOM2IWAD) Meant  to be played in UV.

No crouching/Jumping...you can overlook...i dont.

DOWNLOAD HERE

You know the drill...all critics and opinions on fix things are welcome...there is some custom monsters but not a big deal.

Compliments

Edited by Austinado

23 minutes ago, Austinado said:

I had to edit it because the first download link, i left the yellow key near the yellow door. Tis link edited, its the correct one. Sorry about that.

46 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

There's an exit switch that exits the map. You can say the rest is not optional, but it is factually, objectively, definitively optional. If that's not your intention, then maybe consider scrapping the early exit. I don't think you'd lose anything other than confusion. Players who need secret-finding practice would just quit early and wouldn't miss anything more than if they'd just taken the early exit. 

I hear you, and I understand multiple endings is not typical of a Doom map. But it should certainly not be a foreign concept to those who play video games. No? The level has a bad ending and a good ending. The purpose of the early exit is to make players think about the map as a more realized environment, to contextualize the true ending - returning home, to the pier and the ocean view where you started - with the disappointment and incomplete feeling of the early ending - never going back, ending your story among a mess of deranged corpses. I wanted to do more than throw some monsters at the player, I wanted to tell a story. I think the early, "bad" exit is an important part of that story.

@Finnthemapmaker

Doomworld forum topic (project)

Well, it’s a pretty normal doom map in terms of gameplay, but the appearance is definitely distinct. I can’t say I actively disliked anything, although not much stood out positively either except a couple encounters near the end were dynamic and fun. Progression was a little bit unclear a few times, but I probably just made it that way on myself.

Bottom line: A number of different combat styles in an eccentric appearance

@HAK3180 My bad i should have told what port you should use.This was the first time i helped with a project so sorry if the map felt bland and generic.this was also the first time i used A none Udmf format so i was limited to what i can do.I mean at the end of the day no matter what gimmick i give to you . you will still do the same thing. shoot. There is not much you can besides spicing up the combat a bit.Also you were right about the map having too much space in some areas.Anyway tnx for the feeeback!

@Finnthemapmaker, I really only thought it was generic insofar as it was part of a project that seemed to want major gimmickry and radical innovation. In general, I like, even prefer, conventional-ish.

@Austinado

Doomworld forum topic

The main weakness of this map for me was the linearity. You hardly even saw the areas ahead of you, much less made a decision as to which way to go. The exception was the big nukage maze, which I found to be a lot of fun – fast-paced and not too difficult to navigate. Some of the combat had door problem issues, but most was okay; it just needs some more weapon variety. Maybe an early rocket launcher with limited rockets until much later. Maybe even a BFG with 40-80 total cells in the whole map.

Bottom line: I think you can still see the mapper’s style and some improvement

@PasokonDeacon

Doomworld forum topic

This is an applaudable first map. The intricacies of the progress are really good and there are a lot of steps taken to make sure the map is navigable, especially as you keep unlocking different parts. That being said, I lost my way toward the end and didn’t know how to progress, nor did I want to because the ammo was simply too tight. I’m not one who enjoys this level, or really any level of ammo starvation. It’s unfortunate because the map is really good looking and has very few amateurisms.

Bottom line: good detail, great layout, but the combination of a little bit confusing and way too little ammo had me quit early

On 9/10/2019 at 12:16 AM, HAK3180 said:

Table of Contents

@nicolas monti

Doomworld forum topic

Nicolas has not disappointed yet in these city maps. This one probably takes the cake. The lighting level, the central theme of the map, the action, the way the layout interacts – all excellent. My only negative will sound familiar: some of the boss fights didn’t do much for me, and there are quite a few here, but there’s definitely a good variety in how they’re used.

Bottom line: excellent, tough, dark city map

Thanks as usual, I've made the poles thinner at the double spider room and a slower way to escape to make them more threatening but yeah maybe not the strogest part of the map. I had the feeling you might like the map because of the city theme, I've tried also not to make only 90° angles as usually happen in city maps, some squares, some curves, the combination of both styles are present, I'm  fine with the map too, I've never tried to make a city map per se, map20 is city but in alpha style. 4 maps and we're done, map29 is already cooked so 3 to go!

6 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@PasokonDeacon

This is an applaudable first map. The intricacies of the progress are really good and there are a lot of steps taken to make sure the map is navigable, especially as you keep unlocking different parts. That being said, I lost my way toward the end and didn’t know how to progress, nor did I want to because the ammo was simply too tight. I’m not one who enjoys this level, or really any level of ammo starvation. It’s unfortunate because the map is really good looking and has very few amateurisms.

Bottom line: good detail, great layout, but the combination of a little bit confusing and way too little ammo had me quit early

Thank you for the playthrough! My thoughts below:

Spoiler

6 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@PasokonDeacon

Thank you for the playthrough! My thoughts below:

Spoiler

00:25 - "Lithubristics" is a portmanteau: "lithic" and "hubristics". It makes more sense based on the story description, but also some visual/theme elements in the map. "Pasokon" is a Japanese neologism for "personal computer"; I've played a lot of old Japanese micro-computer games recently, hence the nick.

You're not wrong about the category of first-time mapper I fall into. The only map I made before this was a couple rooms with a door in-between; what I made right after all made it into this map. Sadly this includes the humans trap at the start, which I overlooked later on during my own tests. I'll have to redesign this trap for freelook players and to eliminate the soft-locks.

08:40 - I'm 24 years old.

09:50 - I'll add a way for the Rev x1/HKx2 here to ascend onto the courtyard. Given how well you handled the fight on UV, I'll do some thing swaps for lower difficulties to make this a bit less potentially deadly for some players.

23:10 - Duly noted re: some confusing progression and a mean-ish teleport trap. The delay between warp and free movement seems like trouble. 

Also, I'm going to highlight that plasma secret, because the solution's in plain sight but not very intuitive.

28:45 - Glad you figured out how to get the plasma in the transition room! I wanted to think through some clever stuff like that without getting too obtuse (though some of the secrets remain on the more difficult side, admittedly).

30:15 - RC1a fixes the stuck HK/imps in the cybie room.

38:33 - So, uh, yeeeeeah, this part needs a lot more ammo. I also need to either block this third of the map off for until you've completed the quarry OR block off the obvious exit but leave a secret way in for clever players. This will need more testing for sure. And I should have realized earlier how dickish it is to trap the stairwell but not leave any goodies as compensation.

54:40 - You can see the exit bay (Plutonia-style warp) right from the start, but I'll figure out a way to make it more visible without letting players jump in there from the nearby staircase. I'll likely use all key-TRAK indicators in some way to signpost the exit.

Most crucially, I need to start planning player progression precisely because I didn't foresee you choosing to clear an area I hadn't ammo-populated well enough. It sucks that you had an increasingly sour time with the map, but at least I've learned this much. More ammo in general is necessary. It seems like you enjoyed the map regardless of the issues later on, but now I want to make a final map you can enjoy later.

Most crucially, I need to start planning player progression precisely because I didn't foresee you choosing to clear an area I hadn't ammo-populated well enough. It sucks that you had an increasingly sour time with the map, but at least I've learned this much. More ammo in general is necessary. It seems like you enjoyed the map regardless of the issues later on, but now I want to make a final map you can enjoy later.

Hello, I released my first solo map yesterday and I was wondering if you had time to play it, no urges nor for testing but rather casual. Length is 10-15 minutes blind. Some people found it on the hard-ish side, think about Going Down difficulty or a step above Plutonia. Skills implemented, more health/armor and specific enemy changes on lower skills. It is recommended to use prboom+ complevel 2 with intercept overflow off, because it's prone to happen with it on, or in Crispy, though otherwise runs fine in both. There's also an unofficial secret that's tricky to locate, not important for progress unless you like max kills and items. Hints are there if you want to explore. 

Thanks in advance!

Hey there, its me again. Got another map for you to try out if you've got some time to spare! Spent quite a bit of time working on this one but just recently pumped out the rest of the layout. 

This is UDMF format with features only found in UDMF, so its recommended to use GZDoom or a similar port. I hope You'll find it enjoyable. 

Bridgeburner compared it to Alien Vendetta in mapping style and combat, so take that how you will in terms of what to expect. Thanks for continuing this playthrough thread! 

@nicolas monti

Doomworld forum topic

There’s a lot of open space in this map – fun to run around and get into mischief. Visually it works despite the lack of polish that permeates the wad, but the overall layout is again fantastic. The whole thing is almost like a little puzzle that you don’t know you’re playing.

Bottom line: This is another great map. It feels less penultimate than Map 28, but who knows what’s next?

16 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@nicolas monti

Doomworld forum topic

There’s a lot of open space in this map – fun to run around and get into mischief. Visually it works despite the lack of polish that permeates the wad, but the overall layout is again fantastic. The whole thing is almost like a little puzzle that you don’t know you’re playing.

Bottom line: This is another great map. It feels less penultimate than Map 28, but who knows what’s next?

Great survey, I'll tone down health a bit, I agree with you on that, also I'd suggest waiting for the record of map30 since some issues have been already noted, if you didn't already off course, so it would be nice if you jump to map31.

@nicolas monti (Ooh, you're much too late, my friend. I actually intended to put this up earlier today.)

Doomworld forum topic

It is what you would expect but not right away. In that the map builds tension through gradually intensifying encounters. For what it’s worth, I did not figure out what I was supposed to do without cheating, although that particular bit of cheating was unintentional, so I don’t know how long it would have taken me. I think it’s pretty intuitive and also a tiny bit obtuse.

Bottom line: Not my favorite kind of map, but I think it mostly works. I’d consider tweaking the ending pending the feedback of others

@damned

Doomworld forum topic

The word that comes to mind is simplistic. It’s just a touch simplistic in its design, in its visual appearance, and in its action. Almost all the combat is basic doorway stuff. Visually, it works but could perhaps use more lighting attention. This is just an opener, so hopefully the combat gets more interesting. If that happens, I’ll be perfectly fine with this level of visual detailing.

Bottom line: Not a stellar opener, but it seems to set the tone of fairly traditional and fairly compact

@damned, @Matthias

Doomworld forum topic

A lot of big spaces lends nicely to the atmosphere, but they’re so empty that combat is almost an afterthought. This map is much more about traveling – more of an adventure game than an action RPG, and it’s not menacing enough to be survival/horror. I still think lighting could use some attention, especially in the outer waterfall/ashwall areas but it’s not so bad visually.

Bottom line: Classic, casual Doom but a bit too empty

@galileo31dos01

Doomworld forum topic

A debut wad can be many things. Usually they're not so thoughtful in terms of storytelling and atmosphere. While the concept is not the most original, the execution is on point. I would have liked to see a little more visual variety in the metal section and a little more clarity in the progression, but other than that, this thing plays nicely, even though I don't prefer the pervasive darkness. This is a pretty specific map, so where does this wad author go from here? That is the question.

Bottom line: a successful debut that should generate curiosity

Thank you for playing!.

With this I can count now at least four people who struggled to see that tunnel to the switch in the fleshy room, so that's one thing to consider. The ambush there doesn't work fully as intended at the moment, that's why you shot imps through the blood. And I could spot wrong light levels in parts too. Also to clear it up, in vanilla the simplest way for me to alter the brightness was to use actions that raise or lower to 255 or 35 respectively. There're other options but a lot more intricate for a map that didn't need them to achieve what I wanted. The BFG room ws initially already in 35 so that the power switch worked. 

@Alfredo

Doomworld forum topic

I like when big maps are full of interconnections and have some sense of progression, such as a 3-key door somewhere or an early sighting of exit. This map really does not give you that. Only one key is in use, and you get done with it early. After that it’s a series of larger-than-life slaughterish fights in a few new areas. There’s not much connection other than “this is what comes next.” By the time you’re done with the map, you may well have forgotten what the beginning was even like. So ultimately, it feels more like a series of levels loosely connected than a cohesive epic. Other than that, though that is no small thing, there’s not too much to complain about: the fights are usually fine. Nothing stood out as excessively spammy or grindy (though the last BFG-less fight seems a little random). Progression, despite the latter half being somewhat choppy, was usually clear enough. Visually, it didn’t jump out at me, but it was mostly fine.

Bottom line: there’s not really anything I strongly dislike, but a big map with little sense of progress other than the kill count rising just has a way of taking its toll on me.

12 minutes ago, TravyB said:

[Abaddon's Nightmare]

You originally said "for GZDoom" and later, "limit-removing ports." So can I play this in Crispy? PrBoom+?