Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scwiba

NaNoWADMo 2019 - The month-long mapping challenge (that's a wrap!)

hell yeah, I am really pumped for this. I've got my own set of "rules" and plans that I was planning to share at some point in the old thread but I suppose I'll do that here sometime soon, in case it would be at all helpful to anyone else

I'm very available and willing to participate, so now I should think of a good mapset idea that I can work on later if desired. As for restrictions, those are exactly the things I need if I want to get multiple maps done in a month's time.

Wait, aren't a NaNoWadMo hype thread was made already this summer? So, this is real deal now?

Anyway I was starting to collect resources for this month challenge from around the net, map limitations and theme is set and technical limitations... I'm still deciding on what to do for my maps.

Also I think Nanopineapple is already finished and posted on idgames

10 hours ago, FrancisT18 said:

@RyathI think Sinergy by @Crunchynut44 also started in NaNoWADMO 2018.

You're right! Sorry I missed that.

2 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

Wait, aren't a NaNoWadMo hype thread was made already this summer? So, this is real deal now?

That thread was for voting on the month NaNo would be held. I figured I'd start fresh with a new thread for the actual challenge.

10 hours ago, Tango said:

hell yeah, I am really pumped for this. I've got my own set of "rules" and plans that I was planning to share at some point in the old thread but I suppose I'll do that here sometime soon, in case it would be at all helpful to anyone else

9 hours ago, PasokonDeacon said:

I'm very available and willing to participate, so now I should think of a good mapset idea that I can work on later if desired. As for restrictions, those are exactly the things I need if I want to get multiple maps done in a month's time.

Welcome aboard!

Also, just an FYI that I won't be doing a mapset for this year's NaNoWADMo, since I want to be more active on the Discord and with feedback on your maps. Grinding out my own 27 maps last time was a big distraction from that, and I regret not being as interactive and supportive as I could have been. So this year I'm sitting out the mapping part so I can spend more time with you fine folks.

37 minutes ago, Ryath said:

That thread was for voting on the month NaNo would be held. I figured I'd start fresh with a new thread for the actual challenge.

Ok, get it, thanks.

1 hour ago, Voltcom said:

I tried this last year and it was a really exhausting experience.

A megawad in a month is an incredibly impressive endeavour.

Best of luck to all participating members.

I may try this again this year (hopefully I'll be able to make more than 12 maps this time.)

No need to aim for a full megawad if that doesn't work for you. I was really particular about rules last time but I think it makes more sense to set your own goals this time. 12 maps is nothing to sneeze at. 

Edited by Ryath

I've had a bit of experience with Doom mapping but I have yet to release anything, so I'm interested in taking part in this! Should give me some practice and incentive to get some stuff out there, even if it's not perfect. I doubt I'll be able to make a megawad's worth of maps though, as I'm dealing with some IRL issues as well, so if it's ok I might aim for an episode's worth and if I get time to do more then it's a bonus.

As things stand, I'll be back this year. I'll also be more successful! (Four complete maps or bust!!!1one)

This tempts me somewhat. Although my goal would be a single completed map in a month 😝

Edit* So tempted that I'm now doing it

Edited by Bridgeburner56

I think this is a terribly good idea, and would like to participate in order to make some progress on current wads of mine - The discord link has expired unfortunately but if it were made available again I will join it, if you'll have me 

I'd like to participate! I'd be aiming to create an episode of 7-8 maps instead of a megawad though, as I'm a little swamped with work. This would be my first actual foray into Doom mapping, so I'm excited :)

Since I was one of the people that voted for October to be the month, it would be a bit odd for me to now back out.

That being said, October does work out well for me, time-wise, so I plan to participate. I have an idea for what I want to do, but given how slow I am at mapping, my goal is a mapset 4 to 6 maps in length.

Add me in, this could be an incentive to start on my own personal stuff for once and for all. Goal for the project is 6 maps like I had planned a long time ago, but a maximum of 3 completed maps during the month due to time limitations and still being a newbie. 

It's really tempting to join this project, I have few ideas for my "igaite" sequel map or 2 of them in similar manner as first one, but with portals or at least with more custom stuff in eternity engine. But in other hand, uni takes more of my time, commitment, preparations and I'm afraid of giving vain promises. I'll give myself more time to think about this. 

Anyway, I'm joining this, going for 16 maps (maybe more, maybe less) and a mapset with a sort of plutonia theme, only with more ice and blue. And less slaughter.

Started yesterday to build a resource pack using textures used in the last year project...

Low-key just gonna use this to generate maps for one of like a half-dozen projects I shouldn't have started without finishing shit first. May have to roll a die to decide which exactly.

4 hours ago, Jayextee said:

Low-key just gonna use this to generate maps for one of like a half-dozen projects I shouldn't have started without finishing shit first. May have to roll a die to decide which exactly.

So I'll put you down as a... yes?

I've already joined on the discord, but I should probably also mention here that I will also participate in this! With a Hexen wad!

You know what?
Why not! 
As stated in the op, I can at least get some cool concepts for later, but this might actually get me to make a proper map set.
Sign me up!

1 hour ago, HUNdebLeonidasX said:

By the way the discord link tells me "invalid invitation"

Sorry about that! It should work now.

So I don't think I've done anything productive on the Doom front since last year, neither finishing up Chicxulub Impact or making worthwhile progress on anything else, but I enjoyed last year's NaNoWADMo so please sign me up again.  Doom II this time I think!

I've been thinking over it, and i guess i'll take the challenge and aim for a small number of maps, i might start mapping late, but this is the perfect excuse to motivate myself to map for a personal mapset