Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skull

Hell Invasion on Mars UPDATED

---EDIT/UPDATE---

(9/14/2019) Rebalanced game-play, fixed mapping issues (fixed sharp corners, secret is more obvious, messed with brightness levels), boss battle unlocks a door that ends the game, instead of ending it right when he dies.

Not enough of a update to play again, but it's an improvement of the previous version, improving somebody's first play-through of the wad. If you have already downloaded it, but haven't played it, I recommend switching to the newer version.

---INTRODUCTION---

Hello doom players and makers! This is my 1st wad map that I created, with some help from my brother carter. I was inspired and interested in making doom wads when I saw the user Suitepee and other people playing and streaming carter's (formerly carter1027) wads, since his maps were new-ish and needed work. I have fun making maps and I hope people play them, despite still being a noob and needing to work on wad making skills. By no means am I going to be popular or really good, or even close to it. (Important map description below).

----SCREENSHOTS----

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20190911_131825.png.65decc3db8974d8dae574b8a6a2045ba.png

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20190911_131916.png.6e3c7c10e6863f16b07e369bb88495e9.png

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20190911_132000.png.721651023b54dcfeb241b7b4544634c2.png

----DOWNLOAD----

HellinvasionOnMars.zip v1.0

HellinvasionOnMarsv1.1.zip v1.1

---STORY---

You, playing as the doom guy himself, is working in a Mars station, until some bumbling idiot opens the security door to the hell portal, releasing demons. Hell has quite literally taken over the small Mars station, with demons murdering people everywhere. You lock up a lone imp and find a pistol, but the imp is unable to communicate, at least in the human tongue. Now you set off, to kill all these demons that were released, and escape the station.

----DESCRIPTION----

Tested in GZDoom 4.2.0 (UDMF Format)

Mouse-look, jumping and crouching is highly recommended for the best experience.

The wad contains a single level, and custom monsters from realm 667.

Map difficulties are implemented. (Tested on ultra violence and hurt me plenty, but there's differences for every difficulty).

Edited by skull : edited description

Seems to be an interesting choice of mapper to be inspired by. Personally it's wads like Sunlust and Evilternity and the like that I wish I could recreate. I think I know why he's your inspiration, but you do you.

Much like Carter, you've got a fetish for using custom monsters. There was nothing particularly egregious about their use, but I also don't think they added much. It was very much a case of: "Here they are". I'm in general not a fan of custom monsters though.

The map ended (Unexpectedly) when I finished off your boss monster. I presume this mean's it's a UDMF format, which requires GZDoom (People play with different ports that support different mapping types - It's normally good to let people know what format you've mapped in). Luckily I play in GZDoom for when I do recordings.

Everything was fairly blocky; aesthetically it's more pleasing if you round off corners and create more interesting shapes. Creating a curve is even very easy in existing maps just by adding vertices and dragging. I've attached a screenshot showing how I added curves to a pathway in a map I'm working on. Doom is made on a grid, but it's good to try and make players forget. I'm not saying don't use straight lines, because absolutely do, but having the whole map be like that isn't a great idea. Play with angles!

image.png

49 minutes ago, Magicana said:

Seems to be an interesting choice of mapper to be inspired by. Personally it's wads like Sunlust and Evilternity and the like that I wish I could recreate. I think I know why he's your inspiration, but you do you.

Much like Carter, you've got a fetish for using custom monsters. There was nothing particularly egregious about their use, but I also don't think they added much. It was very much a case of: "Here they are". I'm in general not a fan of custom monsters though.

The map ended (Unexpectedly) when I finished off your boss monster. I presume this mean's it's a UDMF format, which requires GZDoom (People play with different ports that support different mapping types - It's normally good to let people know what format you've mapped in). Luckily I play in GZDoom for when I do recordings.

Everything was fairly blocky; aesthetically it's more pleasing if you round off corners and create more interesting shapes. Creating a curve is even very easy in existing maps just by adding vertices and dragging. I've attached a screenshot showing how I added curves to a pathway in a map I'm working on. Doom is made on a grid, but it's good to try and make players forget. I'm not saying don't use straight lines, because absolutely do, but having the whole map be like that isn't a great idea. Play with angles!

image.png

Hey, thanks for the advice and for playing my map! Maybe I worded the inspiration thing wrong, I just didn't start making maps until I saw carter's maps, despite being beginner maps, still being streamed by people. Because of that, I thought I would try my hand at it.

5 hours ago, Sir Hattington said:

I liked the gray brick part. I don't really have anything else to say.

Fair enough lol.

Welcome to Doom mapping! It's always great to know that people are still getting into it :) I recorded a play through as well, as is the fashion these days.

This video was sponsored by the Send Lawyers to Hell appeal! Playing Doom WADs to raise money for RAICES.

http://bit.ly/sendlawyers
https://streamlabs.com/davidxn/v2

You've definitely got the hang of starting out :) I would say as next steps, try experimenting with height more, really using Doom's potential with raising or lowering areas of the map to make the layout more interesting and make monster encounters more varied.

31 minutes ago, DavidN said:

Welcome to Doom mapping! It's always great to know that people are still getting into it :) I recorded a play through as well, as is the fashion these days.

This video was sponsored by the Send Lawyers to Hell appeal! Playing Doom WADs to raise money for RAICES.

http://bit.ly/sendlawyers
https://streamlabs.com/davidxn/v2

You've definitely got the hang of starting out :) I would say as next steps, try experimenting with height more, really using Doom's potential with raising or lowering areas of the map to make the layout more interesting and make monster encounters more varied.

Hey thanks so much for playing! Loved your video, and thanks for the criticism. Hope you enjoyed killing those babies you monster!

So far I haven't seen anyone find my secret, seems like I succeeded, yet that makes me sad. Hope to see you play more of my levels again!

I just played v1.1 of your map. I think that the secret should have a light amplification visor, because otherwise the secret is kind of useless. It only gives you a med kit, green armor and a chainsaw, (the chainsaw is totally useless.)

21 minutes ago, Sir Hattington said:

I just played v1.1 of your map. I think that the secret should have a light amplification visor, because otherwise the secret is kind of useless. It only gives you a med kit, green armor and a chainsaw, (the chainsaw is totally useless.)

Thanks for the feedback. This first wad was just testing the grounds of an editor, maybe I'll update it again, but for now I have plans to make another wad, and it's going to be better than this one.