Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

What's your reaction when your adblocker gets blocked?

As in, a site that absolutely refuses to let you get to the content without disabling it.  9 times out of 10 I'll not even bother to disable it and try to frequent somewhere that will at least give me a choice.  This might sound like a frivolous post but I know a lot of you refuse to even enable javascript, so I hate to think what your reaction is about this!

Seems to only be inconsequential sites that I only visit once every few months that only block my adblocker. Even if they have a must read article... someone else has an article about the same thing, so I can just go there.

As I've mentioned before I was happy not using adblockers even if Wikia slows to a crawl due to how many ads it has on each page. Then some ads on imgur started hijacking my browser. They don't care about ads hijacking even when I reported it several times. So it was time to just use an adblocker.

Edited by geo

my high-school blocks most VPNs AND ad-blockers, they also blocked Netflix but thankfully they haven't blocked this site or GitHub.

I do web development on Fiverr and refuse any work that involves adblock, most people that ask are making shitty unblocked game sites.

"Adblock shit eh? Yeah well fuck you too."

*leaves the site and never comes back*

I also refuse to activate java stuff or Flash Player.

Adblocker gets blocked?  See ya.  I get what I need somewhere else.  Their ad revenue isn't worth potentially tainted ads infecting my PC with malware.

Always use a digital condom when you browse.

Right-click, inspect, and then delete whatever blocking element they've put to cover the content.

I wish pop up ads just weren’t a thing. I wouldn’t mind a banner at the top and bottom but news sites in particular feel the need to monetize the entire fucking page, leaving about 3 pixels in the middle for the article all while pop ups bombard me.

Edit: Oh yeah, I usually just leave unless it’s a topic I’m actually interested in. Its best to avoid sites that incorporate ad blocker blockers of course.

3 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

I wish pop up ads just weren’t a thing. I wouldn’t mind a banner at the top and bottom but news sites in particular feel the need to monetize the entire fucking page, leaving about 3 pixels in the middle for the article all while pop ups bombard me.

First, I also wish pop up ads are not a thing. Sometimes forcing me to look at it is fine, but forcing me to click on it is just too much. Then, for some reason, all the websites require me to disable adblock is news sites. I do disable adblock for most of the websites I visit and will visit again. New sites are just those I randomly stumble upon to see something, and then I realize I have to choose between "read at the article and with a lot of ads BTW" and "don't read the article". Usually I'll just pick not reading the thing...

I don't usually find adblocker blockers on news websites (but frankly I rarely ever find a news site worthy of my attention in the first place), however these sites do very much seem to be infested with ads. In fact, since I'm using both the PC and the phone to browse the web, I'm sometimes shocked to see just how much hot garbage I avoid by using an adblocker on PC, it's insane. Some pages even have ad bars at the bottom that you cannot hide which take up to half of the screen of a medium-sized smartphone which renders the whole page almost unreadable. This is plain obscene.

Yeah, I get it, ads help you sustain yourself so that you can keep doing what you do best, but having such intrusive garbage is only going to push people away from your website. And the moment you install an anti-blocker you've basically sentenced yourself to death.

Speaking of which, what are some other browser plugins/filters/whatever you guys recommend using beside an adblocker?

News sites are definitely the worst when it comes to ads (Or tied up with stupid recipe sites). Hilariously satire ones rarely have any. I guess they know most of their users aren't into technology and barraging them with ads won't change a thing.

12 minutes ago, Pegg said:

News sites are definitely the worst when it comes to ads (Or tied up with stupid recipe sites). Hilariously satire ones rarely have any. I guess they know most of their users aren't into technology and barraging them with ads won't change a thing.

Maybe it's a good strategy for previous generate users IMO. I feel like they are likely to click on this things before actually figuring out how to get around it or something. Still, I think the newer generation is less likely to go to a news site, and they are less likely to click on something unreliable.

At least from what I saw in America, this situation is better? However, the situation in Mainland China is way worse. Most of the time these things may tie to malware or something like that (yeah, probably this is something you've heard of for a long time). Stupid apps pile up easily and drain your system resources if the users don't have a lot of carefulness or knowledge of using a website. The funny thing is whenever you're told to fix this, the best way is to redo the whole system on whatever device you're fixing. Then 2 weeks later, things went back to the original situation lol.

usually i block the offending element. i only look elsewhere if everything else fails.

As for "digital condoms", if you're on Firefox (or any of it's derivatives), try NoScript and blacklist everything. make an exception only for the very website you know it won't try anything stupid. (do not allow scripts from other websites unless it's absolutely required to view what you're looking for)

Try also:

NoCoin - Blocks cryptocurrency miners.

I Don't Care About Cookies - Nukes most cookie warnings and disclaimers. (You can also use your adblocker to take them out, too)

FoxReplace - Don't like profanity or certain modern slangs and other terms? Change them to something else.

Edited by Nekr0s1s

I tried an adblocker once, until I encountered way too many sites which detect it and ask me to disable it, so since then I stopped using adblockers. It feels like a breach of terms to use one, anyway. Also, lately it's not the ads which bother me. It's just the GDPR, notification and subscribe prompts which are spammy. But now I even say yes to most GDPR prompts: I want to help the artificial intelligence gather data.

Don't use the garbage called adblock or adblick+ and you won't have that problem. Actually those two allow sites to pay to completely past adblocking. No reason to trust them as a user. 

55 minutes ago, Pegg said:

Don't use the garbage called adblock or adblick+ and you won't have that problem. Actually those two allow sites to pay to completely past adblocking. No reason to trust them as a user. 

This. Adblock/Adblock Plus is horrible, it isn't even an adblocker anymore considering how many pages it allows to display ads nowadays. Use uBlock Origin instead.

16 hours ago, silentzorah said:

Adblocker gets blocked?  See ya.  I get what I need somewhere else.  Their ad revenue isn't worth potentially tainted ads infecting my PC with malware.

Always use a digital condom when you browse.

Will adblock + ublock give me more pleasure, or will it fall off during use?

16 minutes ago, invictius said:

Will adblock + ublock give me more pleasure, or will it fall off during use?

You won't know until you try :p .

Simple: I don't bother with the site in question. I will go without the content or get it somewhere else.

Conversely, for any sites that circumvent the adblocker and sneak some ads in, I'll use the element select to block those too.

90% of the time I just look somewhere else, although I admit I do disable it sometimes for some websites that I know I'm going to revisit in the future just to stop them from asking me to disable it everytime I visit them. Avoiding clicking on ads and pop-ups is very easy unless you're visiting crappy or suspicious sites.

If you really need to visit some website, yet can't stand the ads, using a browser extension that lets you write custom javascript or CSS can at least help hide the ads.

is noscript only for javascript or does it blck other stuff too? i ask cause firefox has an option for blacking cryptominers and ublock origin can disable javascript