Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FanTazTiCxD

You have 30 minutes to make a map - post your results!

After months of not finishing a single map, I finally decided to make another map and took this challenge. I named this map Basket Case (based on the Green Day song) and I've also put a MIDI song in the map because I loved that song and kind of fits on how I felt when making this. I think it takes about one or two minutes to finish this map, it's a very short map so you could probably finish it faster than me. Feedback and criticism is appreciated.

Around the 30 minutes I have, I felt anxious the entire time because I didn't really know what to do and the scroll of my mouse was broken (which means I couldn't paste copied textures that easily) but regardless, I managed to make something. I guess putting a time limit whenever I map would actually help me because without it, I'm too busy putting details on the map when it's not finished yet (many maps I've made were left unfinished because of this).

Anyways, here's the download link to the WAD:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zz604rlooscupay/Basket_Case.zip/file

Here's a screenshot of it (no monsters mode):

Screenshot_Doom_20190913_191114.png.c5476ad2ac4dee5bbbfe2c03c52d6788.png

12 minutes ago, BrassKnight said:

After months of not finishing a single map, I finally decided to make another map and took this challenge. I named this map Basket Case (based on the Green Day song) and I've also put a MIDI song in the map because I loved that song and kind of fits on how I felt when making this. I think it takes about one or two minutes to finish this map, it's a very short map so you could probably finish it faster than me. Feedback and criticism is appreciated.

Around the 30 minutes I have, I felt anxious the entire time because I didn't really know what to do and the scroll of my mouse was broken (which means I couldn't paste copied textures that easily) but regardless, I managed to make something. I guess putting a time limit whenever I map would actually help me because without it, I'm too busy putting details on the map when it's not finished yet (many maps I've made were left unfinished because of this).

Anyways, here's the download link to the WAD:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zz604rlooscupay/Basket_Case.zip/file

Here's a screenshot of it (no monsters mode):

Screenshot_Doom_20190913_191114.png.c5476ad2ac4dee5bbbfe2c03c52d6788.png

Pretty sweet map for just being done in 30 minutes! I like the idea here and the surprise revenants and shotgunners! heres a hitless ultra violence demo (Gzdoom 4.13.)

basketuvDemo.rar

On 9/8/2019 at 4:18 PM, Chris Hansen said:

Tried. And failed. Didn't even get any monsters in my level and missing textures everywhere :( But hey, it was a fun exercise nonetheless. Hell, I might even have learned a thing or two. Respect to @cambreaKer and @FanTazTiCxD for having completed the goal!

Same here. I ended up completely unhappy with my map after 35 minutes and I didn't even have any monsters in it yet. So I gave up on it as a 30 minute map and then spend another hour on it and have a decent small map. Then i started a 2nd map and realized 5 minutes was gone already and all I had was one room. So then I stuck that map in with the first map and now I have some MiniHell thing I'm working on. Leaving textures unaligned is hard to do and I probably spend to much time looking at the texture browser. I'll attempt this 30 minute thing again later maybe. lol

1 hour ago, Doom_Dude said:

Leaving textures unaligned is hard to do and I probably spend to much time looking at the texture browser. I'll attempt this 30 minute thing again later maybe. lol

I think that might have been my problem too. I have to give this challenge another shot soon! Grrrr.

Hola

Map: 01

Title: Untitled (read below)

Midi: that salsa song d_stalks toom toom, toomtoomtoooomtoom etc

Sky: UDoom E2 

Time spent: ...

Skills: oohh I forgot oops

Compatibility: Doom 2 format, tested in Crispy Doom

Idea: ambitious af concept which obviously a noob like myself could not resist to do, kids don't try at home

Screenshot_24.png.91531750720954c683907aaeba9673ff.png

Get it here!!! >>>> 30minmapbyGal.zip <<<<

Comments: So I thought, why not!... because I can't even insert a single sector inside another sector in less than 5 minutes how was I supposed to make a whole functional map regardless of the time frame?!??!, okay, that was the first try, this is the second try and still above 30 minutes heh :S [insert facepalm]. I will say I'm very glad I tried since it gave me the incentive to build like a base of a much better map with the same concept, which I'll be expanding someday. The original title was "Greedy Like Your Ex", but I decided to leave this attempt untitled at the moment. The map is beatable in 15 seconds though killing everything takes longer obviously. It is recommended to pretend the key setups locked you in, but do whatever. Feedback is more than welcome specially punishments for breaking the rules :D

BTW @BrassKnight here's a blind fda of your map: BCfdabygal.zip, only criticism is the lift to the yellow bars wasn't hinted but I guess that was part of the rush to make the map under the time frame, so all good then!

45 minutes ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Screenshot_24.png.91531750720954c683907aaeba9673ff.png

Well, that was interesting! :D Had fun playing that!

Here's my 2nd try. I really thought that I could pull it off in 30 mins, but nope... I just can't. Too many old level designing habbits in me or something. I think I did it in 35 mins. I recorded a video while making the level. Super boring stuff, but now that I made it, I might as well upload it.

As for the map itself... well, I figured that my best approach for this challenge was to craft something I'm fairly comfortable with: An episode 1 map. The title - for lack of imagination - is called Power Station and it runs on E1M1 ofc. Should be vanilla compatible. Not much else to say really... it's not that interesting.

ch_30min.zip

395088141_E1M1(editarea)at2019_09.1322-16-40.796R2787.jpg.39b83efab03dd581fd16b4851bc79503.jpg

Edited by Chris Hansen

19 hours ago, Voltcom said:

The posted maps oughta be compile into a playable mapset.  There's enough now that it could be a fun miniwad.

I was thinking about the same thing

On 9/10/2019 at 10:40 PM, FanTazTiCxD said:

I tried your map too - watch me play using the demo I attached! Follow the instructions in my previous post if you don't know how to play the demo. This demo is called mashedpotato

mashedpotato.rar

Why does it called like that? I'm curious person :)

thank you @Swalzi for playing

dormir.png

Some squares with monsters in them. Good luck. I recorded a demo with the map.

Map Name : Dormir

Music : Breath of Fire 3 - Technology

Build time : 25 minutes

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/242657723332820994/622204156496707615/Dormir.zip

Edit : I played your map Chris Hansen. Very well done for a 30 minutes map. Nothing to complain about this map. ;)

On 9/9/2019 at 11:23 PM, Marlamir said:

anyway i love that idea and decide to give a try, dont how much i succes or failed bur here it goes. And yeah the gameply is completely untested since it was made in last 1,5 min so it could turned out to be easy for you. Looking forward for others work.

30min.zip

Good idea and architecture, also lights and shadows. The gameplay here is definitely on the lighter side.

On 9/10/2019 at 12:51 AM, Swalzi said:

Here's my contribution. It's cool to see what I can make in 30 minutes with no plan.

30minssw.wad

I'm impressed by the level of detail of the crate area. Good tough ending.

On 9/14/2019 at 1:06 AM, Roofi said:

dormir.png

Some squares with monsters in them. Good luck. I recorded a demo with the map.

Map Name : Dormir

Music : Breath of Fire 3 - Technology

Build time : 25 minutes

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/242657723332820994/622204156496707615/Dormir.zip

Edit : I played your map Chris Hansen. Very well done for a 30 minutes map. Nothing to complain about this map. ;)

Here's my demo of me playing your map. (gzdoom) I have to admit, I gave up... So I eventually cheated using IDDQD and fast weapons. I barely made it through the opening room with the two revenant. Usually, when I made it, I would have 30% life left. Then opening another door, and here comes another challenge even harder... And no medikits! I don't know how you're supposed to beat that level, but I am not the one to do it, haha!

However I really like the design and idea of this map! The rooms just need to be bigger, and maybe include a bit of health, so it becomes beatable. A rocket launcher wouldn't be a bad idea for the map either, if the rooms were bigger

GUTMAP.rar

20 minutes ago, FanTazTiCxD said:

Here's my demo of me playing your map. (gzdoom) I have to admit, I gave up... So I eventually cheated using IDDQD and fast weapons. I barely made it through the opening room with the two revenant. Usually, when I made it, I would have 30% life left. Then opening another door, and here comes another challenge even harder... And no medikits! I don't know how you're supposed to beat that level, but I am not the one to do it, haha!

However I really like the design and idea of this map! The rooms just need to be bigger, and maybe include a bit of health, so it becomes beatable. A rocket launcher wouldn't be a bad idea for the map either, if the rooms were bigger

GUTMAP.rar

Thanks , yep it's a no health map. I will maybe bring some corrections on this map if you want to compile the maps. :)

An another map made today :

roofi_dim.png

Map Name : Dimanche

Build time : 20 minutes

Music : Alundra -Meia's Dream

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/242657723332820994/622721014123462666/Dimanche.zip

image.png.11fd9f73c315d730027c54f4bc24a217.png

image.png.c82f9e1204cec0ba2c204d3bac08bfcc.png

image.png.5007989f815721a65e594e7e9090e556.png

image.png.1ef9c981739b4afad2a0622c8e302568.png

Try my map "Downfall"! 

I didn't make this in 30 minutes... I spent more time on it, I admit. But after 30 minutes, the basic map was made. Then since, I have been adding some stuff to improve it, and make it enjoyable to play.

It's a simple concept. You're on a platform that is being lowered. As you go, enemies will appear from rooms appearing on your way down. If you're smart, you might even be able to enter those rooms and grab some good stuff. Later in the map, you will be left with a choice: Red teleport or silver teleport?

Good luck ;-)

Downfall.rar

image.png

IGGLE

This awful grey maze level took 28 minutes to create. You search for all 3 keys as traps open and there is also a Cyberdemon plus a secret BFG. I could only upload 1 screenshot.

DOWNLOAD

Screenshot_Doom_20190916_032304.png

FDA for NOEFF: noeffda-elm.zip

A map made in 30 minutes that also wasn't a serious attempt, F for no effort I guess(as much effort as i put into that joke heh).

The end room looked pretty cool though.

And as for my attempt at the challenge:

Coming out of mapping retirement with a Boom map[-complevel 9] because it didn't work the way I wanted it(more like didn't work at all) without a small conveyor.

A dead simple-esque thing that runs on map 07.

doom00.png.798516a27d5aef6efaa001fd5dafb99b.png

Dead in 30 minutes: deadin30minutes.zip

35 minutes ago, NoisyVelvet said:

heres fda batch #3.  I didn't manage to finish a few of these, but that doesn't mean I didn't like them, especially the pcorf map.

noisy_30mins_fda_pt3.zip

Thanks for playing the maps ! I saw you found a glitch with the stairs leading to the red key on my psychedelic map. I will correct it soon. I put two lines which raise the stairs...

@Roofi your map crashes on gzdoom 3.7.2 so i didn't be able to play it now...

My second map, this time i experimented with the Reality gameplay style (1 HP and no health), includes a new dehacked file that changes health and even cheats, plus a horrible series of death in form of FDA demo without exit

q75vqoW.png

reality.zip

Title: Reality Hurts

Music: D_E2M9 from VAMUS1.WAD

Build time: 36 minutes, more than less.

Port: Vanilla (complevel 2)

Test: Prboom 2.5.4 and chocorenderlimits

If you can beat this map, you are awesome.

28 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

@Roofi your map crashes on gzdoom 3.7.2 so i didn't be able to play it now...

My second map, this time i experimented with the Reality gameplay style (1 HP and no health), includes a new dehacked file that changes health and even cheats, plus a horrible series of death in form of FDA demo without exit

q75vqoW.png

reality.zip

Title: Reality Hurts

Music: D_E2M9 from VAMUS1.WAD

Build time: 36 minutes, more than less.

Port: Vanilla (complevel 2)

Test: Prboom 2.5.4 and chocorenderlimits

If you can beat this map, you are awesome.

I don't think it's a tough map beyond the start. Just requires caution. 

The first two shotgunners do involve an element of RNG lottery in pistoling them down. You can't really run and hide anywhere from them, either. 

wc_real_cpt.zip

@Diego Ignelzi really cute map, blasted out in a pair of minutes! I will have prefer to see a LITEBLU instead of A LITE5 for the blue door, but is still cool.

Hey, you know what? I can do another map in 30 minutes, i'm felling really inspired!

ONE FREAKING HOUR LATER:

flambe-gfx.zip

Title: someone ordered flambé sauerkraut?

Build time: 56 minutes

New music: Stevie Wonder - Superstition

Port: Boom (only made for the new animated textures)

Description: It's a large wolf3d boxy arena where there's a lot hurting fire rooms, a lot of nazi (of course), some keen to shoot for unlock the exit room and health here and there. Check for useful secrets in the southern area and be careful with the chaingun ammo.

@rdwpa thanks for the demo, i'll check it out when i have time, good night!

Edited by Walter confetti

Nice challenge! :D
Made a map in 29 minutes and 24 seconds. Sorry for some black screen moments in the mapping video. :P
Download: 30MINS.zip

Video:

Screenshots:

Spoiler

image.png
image.png
image.png