Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kknot5889

Doom builder making new rooms when I'm trying to make sectors?

Question

So I'm maybe halfway finished my first map and I've run into yet another snag. Working on a large room and all of the sudden when I'm creating new sectors it's like it thinks I'm drawing on a grid instead of drawing on an existing sector. Here's a video example:

So, you can see I've created a sector all well and good and then build another one next to it and get that. And then the one after that has a red floor. It only seems to be happening in this room and I can't figure out what changed. I've already built so many other things in this room and didn't run into this. Any ideas?

25 answers to this question

Probably just guessing what you want wrong. Select the linedefs, set the two-sided flag on them, make the floor/ceiling heights match the floor/ceiling of the room (or whatever height you actually want). Done.

29 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Probably just guessing what you want wrong. Select the linedefs, set the two-sided flag on them, make the floor/ceiling heights match the floor/ceiling of the room (or whatever height you actually want). Done.

Unfortunately, that isn't it. I tried all of that, but it doesn't change it. I can actually raise the floor of this room and have it float above the room I created it in. Of course, it doesn't actually look like that in visual mode. The linedefs of the 'messed up' ones are much bolder and white compared to a normal sector. It's as if it's creating a brand new room, if you know what I mean. I can step inside it and it has a floor and a ceiling, but from the outside you can only see two sides. Like being in visual mode on the first room you create in a new map. Very confusing. 

12 minutes ago, kknot5889 said:

Unfortunately, that isn't it. I tried all of that, but it doesn't change it. I can actually raise the floor of this room and have it float above the room I created it in. Of course, it doesn't actually look like that in visual mode. The linedefs of the 'messed up' ones are much bolder and white compared to a normal sector. It's as if it's creating a brand new room, if you know what I mean. I can step inside it and it has a floor and a ceiling, but from the outside you can only see two sides. Like being in visual mode on the first room you create in a new map. Very confusing. 

Something's bugging out then. Save the work in a new WAD, reboot your PC, try again.

Saved it as a different wad, restarted, all that. Still the same problem. What seems to have worked, at least for the top portion of the room, was separating the one large sector into two smaller sectors. I've attached a screenshot. The top highlighted portion is the new smaller sector where there isn't a problem any longer. It used to be a large C shape. Now, only the bottom of the C shape is having this issue and only once you get maybe 128 or 256 pixels from the right wall of the sector. Maybe I can isolate where ever the problem is coming from and figure it out from there. The last thing I did before starting these sectors is that X shaped structure near the bottom left. Just a few walls with a light in the middle. 

Thanks for taking the time, bud. This is all new to me and I really appreciate people here helping with the dumb things I run into.

wad1.png

Seems like you just need to split up the sectors then. I dunno. Maybe too many linedefs in a given sector without it split up?

5 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Seems like you just need to split up the sectors then. I dunno. Maybe too many linedefs in a given sector without it split up?

Well, I've split them up once more. This time between the X on the bottom left and the stairs and building on the bottom right. The problem is gone from the left side now, so it has to be something going on with the bottom right. 

Looks like you have a sector that's not closed.

That area to the top right, in that sector there's a linedef that isn't highlighted when the rest of the sector is..

Send me over the map and I'll see if I can fix it, if you want.

Have you tried using the 'make new sector' function? Usually works wonders for me if I get something buggy like this. I'm pretty sure it's hotkeyed to 'm' by default, then just left click in the sector you're having a problem with.

@olio Yep. I originally thought I had messed with that somehow. Unfortunately, it recognizes it as a sector but not a sector of the room it's in. 

@Mr.Rocket I've attached the map below. The problem isn't persisting in the top sector any longer, but is now contained in the lower right. I think it may have something to do with the stairs down there. I can make normal sectors to the east of them, but not the west. Thanks!

12 - Copy.zip

The bottom right where your steps are located you have some unclosed sectors along the step sides where you have a couple vertices splitting the lines there. Try moving the vertices away and then back into place.

[edit] Doombuilder (at least GZDoom Builder has this feature) can show you these errors by using 'Map Analysis Mode' (It's right there under Mode along the top of DB). You can uncheck all the texture and flat options, so you won't have a big mess of stuff to scroll through after it does the check.

Edited by Doom_Dude

32 minutes ago, Doom_Dude said:

The bottom right where your steps are located you have some unclosed sectors along the step sides where you have a couple vertices splitting the lines there. Try moving the vertices away and then back into place.

[edit] Doombuilder can show you these errors by using 'Map Analysis Mode' (It's right there under Mode along the top of DB). You can uncheck all the texture and flat options, so you won't have a big mess of stuff to scroll through after it does the check.

Got it! That one tiny little vertice was the culprit. So many different angles with those steps and all I didn't even notice. Thanks so much!

From the video it looks like you're actually using DB2. It's old and outdated. If you want to stay with it's UI you should try DBX, if you want to use all the fancy GZDoom stuff you should try GZDB-BF.

Ah sorry I hadn't had a chance to get back here till now, but it sounds like you might have it fixed, if so, cool! ;)

@boris am using DB2, yes. I hadn't realized there was a new one. I will have to grab that. Thanks for the heads up!

Is GZDB harder to use than DB2? It's a different interface, I'm sure, but reasonably user friendly?

@Mr.Rocket No worries, man. It was something small and stupid. No idea how I managed to fluff that up, but it was an easy fix.

4 minutes ago, kknot5889 said:

@boris am using DB2, yes. I hadn't realized there was a new one. I will have to grab that. Thanks for the heads up!

Is GZDB harder to use than DB2? It's a different interface, I'm sure, but reasonably user friendly?

GZDB-BF is not harder, it has just evolved more beyond DB2, so it's a bit different. DBX is closer to DB2. GZDB-BF is the way to go if you want to make to most of GZDoom features. It's best to just try both and see what you like more.

2 minutes ago, boris said:

GZDB-BF is not harder, it has just evolved more beyond DB2, so it's a bit different. DBX is closer to DB2. GZDB-BF is the way to go if you want to make to most of GZDoom features. It's best to just try both and see what you like more.

Sounds good. I'm going to try them both out once I finish this map. Thanks for the links.

4 hours ago, Doom_Dude said:

[edit] Doombuilder can show you these errors by using 'Map Analysis Mode' (It's right there under Mode along the top of DB). You can uncheck all the texture and flat options, so you won't have a big mess of stuff to scroll through after it does the check.

You got serious eagle eyes, dude. How the hell did you see that with it that low-rez?

10 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

You got serious eagle eyes, dude. How the hell did you see that with it that low-rez?

I would assume he downloaded the map the OP linked a bit later on, and actually had a look at what was going on, instead of making uneducated guesses.

5 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I would assume he downloaded the map the OP linked a bit later on, and actually had a look at what was going on, instead of making uneducated guesses.

It's easy to be a smartass when my responses predate said download, isn't it?

To be fair, no, I didn't notice the download either. Oh well.

Yeah I noticed the download. ;) Then I used GZDoom Builder BF (wasn't thinking kknot was using DB2) and ran it's Map Analysis Mode, which reported the unclosed sectors.

5MXqnHC.jpg

4 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

It's easy to be a smartass when my responses predate said download, isn't it?

To be fair, you said right out the gate you were making guesses, but "Save it with a different file-name and reboot your PC"? Come on man... :P

1 hour ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

To be fair, you said right out the gate you were making guesses, but "Save it with a different file-name and reboot your PC"? Come on man... :P

Hey, I've had software wig out on me in the past.

• Capture-to-text program (which I use for my translating hobby) decides to just stop focusing on text properly
  • DB1-era stuff has 3D view wig out the longer the PC is on
  • Photoshop gets buggier and buggier the longer it's on and eating up RAM

Rebooting is like the universal panacea. It can't hurt. :P

also give the "make sector mode" a try, this usually fixes issues like these for me

olkHsWy.png

select the option and click on the sector